UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Postby nhsfan4life » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:13 pm

augie wrote:
nhsfan4life wrote:I HATE PORTLAND.

Dammit. I hate that we take games from Orono and move them 3 hours away. It makes no sense. I cannot stand it.

When you get older you'll be the guy yelling at kids to get off your lawn. Very happy to be able to watch a game down here this fall.

Maybe, but I don't think so. Just bugs me.
nhsfan4life

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:25 pm

And This Post Line Thread Was About What ???

UMaine Football is playing 2-games down in Portland. ????????
TAL1957

Postby reggierho » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:59 pm

I see no upside to playing at a second rate HS in Portland...If you want to bring attention to your program, put a great product on the field and folks from Portland will make the trip to UMAINE. Just goes to show you that there is a big difference between "Coaching" and "Marketing!"
reggierho

Postby basketball_guy » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:10 am

This is great news, Well at least it is a start. Fitzpatrick Stadium needs some major renovations but at least it gets them in a location where they have a large fanbase. The MSA metro area contains 591,048 population numbers based on the 2010 Census.

Now lets see if Mr. Creech can market the product better. It was my understanding that the CAA would not allow UMAINE to play at Fitzpatrick because of issue pertaining to the stadium. Obviously, they have overcome that hurdle.

I believe they will need to move a couple of games a year down to Portland to make it viable and for a while Fitzy
will have to suffice but with a solid marketing effort they should be able to draw a lot more fans to their football games.
basketball_guy

Postby fafan » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:49 am

reggierho wrote:I see no upside to playing at a second rate HS in Portland...If you want to bring attention to your program, put a great product on the field and folks from Portland will make the trip to UMAINE. Just goes to show you that there is a big difference between "Coaching" and "Marketing!"

Sorry Reg, but this is by far the best HS stadium and facility in the state next to Orono. And knowing that attendance drops off in November for Orono significantly this really is a good marketing strategy in selling the program to S.Maine and therefore increasing the fan base for this up and coming program. Anything less than 90% to a sellout will be disappointing. It will be up to UMaine to market this and the city of Portland will need to make this something of a D1 experience and not just a HS game.
Just so you know Reg this is where the HS state championships have been held since 2002 and it is a huge success having these games in Portland.
I don't ever see more than one game in Portland as you only have 5 home games to start with. This could be successful if both the city and the University work to make it worthy of a D1 college football event. If they don't than bring it back to Orono but here's to making it successful ;)
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm

Every second November home game (which is now an annual occurance) should be played in Portland. No one wants to trek to Orono in November to watch football....especially if there are 2 of them.
mainejeff

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:50 pm

fafan wrote:
Archer Bunker wrote:If they were really smart they would play all of their games in Portland. Best sports town in the state.

AB

Let's not lose perspective here. The Fitzy is not the Alfond. It will be interesting to see how the city tries to upgrade it for this game. There are many items that will be lacking compared to Orono-
1)Lack of tailgating
2)No indoor plumbing-Porta Pottie Central
3)Lack of concessions
4)No replay screen
5)Where will the band play, pregame and game
6)Beer Garden
7)Friends of Maine football game area and pregame interview with Coach H,
Bottom line there are many things that make Orono a true college football game experience and it will be interesting to see if Portland tries to duplicate it or just make it a HS game experience.

Building off those points brought up earlier a few clarifications, opinions
1) true no tailgating UNLESS they close off Fitzy lot (doubtful) but the Old Port is near..also i never thought tailgating was that big in orono, but i guess it has changed over the past few years
2) they do have bathrooms...limited but not all porta potties
3) lack of concesssion (always heard it was bad up in Orono...again maybe that has changed...but true concessions could be limited in Portland...but they have food places (portable trucks) set up around the stadium during state finals in football
4) no replay screen...Correct
5) band...i assume they will play in stands...they do for high school state finals
6) beer garden...yes true thats not going to happen
7) friends of maine area....there is a great deal of space in back of endzones on hill and behind walls of hadlock...not sure exactly what they would need.

Will be interested to see how the game does in Portland..hockey and hoops had limited success depending on who you ask or what you expect

Other events off top of my head that day soccer state championships and some regional football semifinals..depending on what time the game is...the high school football games may affect attendance...

During Class A state football finals are the biggest crowds i have seen there...stands packed and plenty of standing room on hills etc...i would be surprised if the maine game gets that crowd...or will it be like a class b, c, or d football final..where stands are pretty full...but the standing room crowd isnt like it is for the class a game (which is usually the best game to watch weather wise)

I think i am most surprised that they are playing their scrimmage down here..not sure what since that makes...but also dont know if it was that big of an event in Orono
wmtwsportsprod

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:46 pm

mainejeff wrote:Every second November home game (which is now an annual occurance) should be played in Portland. No one wants to trek to Orono in November to watch football....especially if there are 2 of them.
That's It !!!!
TAL1957

Postby Manny99 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:37 pm

Tailgating - Deering Oaks - plenty of room in the park, a short walk to Fitzy. That was easy.

Port-a-potties - Call the Blow Bros to bring more in. That was really easy.

Beer Garden - Open the side door to the Expo, and use the same taps that they use for the Red Claws. Wow, I am quite a problem solver.

Next complaint or question I can help you out with people?
Manny99

Postby basketball_guy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:51 pm

UMAINE FOOTBALL IS FINALLY BACK IN PORTLAND.....

ENOUGH SAID....MAY IT BE A LONG TERM DEAL FOR UMAINE FOOTBALL....
basketball_guy

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics