UMaine Basketball - Women: 2017-18:

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: wbb recruit

Postby mainejeff » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:43 am

Saar looks like the real deal. A very athletic true PG! The signing of Saar and Fogarty reminds me of the Corbitt/Traversi combo. Things are looking up...if they can sign another frontcourt player that should do it for next season.
mainejeff

Postby turkeyman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:46 am

Although the great need is for more bigs, having a true point coming in helps a lot. Dor Saar's stat line looks like a well-rounded point. Low doubles in scoring, 3-4 apg and rpg. Her experience on national teams is a big plus. And, I gotta see that hair flying when she goes to the hoop!

Where does UMaine stand now for the forecourt? Vachon says Ashlyn McDonald is not a back-to-the-basket post. Will that mean that KJ plays a lot at the five? Or does Fanny Wadling go back-to-the-basket all the time? Her power moves plus some more conditioning could make Fanny formidable at the five. She has good moves to play the four, as well. And she progressed at least as well as any of the other freshmen last year. (In fact, I would say the three freshmen who progressed the most are the three who have stayed. Julie Brosseau, Blanca Millan and Fanny.)

Still need at least one more big. Glad to see Vachon won't settle for less-talented players just to pad out the roster and that she's still recruiting for this year. Maine now has 10 players for next year. Hartford finished last year with nine -- started with 13 or 14 -- and that hurt, especially when Albany threw its physical game at UH in the tournament and just wore down the Hawks. If Maine experienced the injuries that teams like Hartford had last year, 10 won't be enough. Remember Versyp's first year? Only eight players, one of them off the softball team (Erica Sobel?) who volunteered to help. Don't remember if she ever got onto the floor. That team went 12-16.

Maine might be a great long-range team with Julie and with Kelly Fogarty coming in from Walpole, Mass. And, we know that Tanesha and Blanca can knock down the threes, as well. When Blanca gets hot, she's almost in a league of her own. Ask Albany. With some combination of Maddy McVicar, Julie, Dor Saar, Kelly Fogarty and Sierra Tapley at the point and shooting guard, Vachon can put Blanca and Tanesha at the three and, sometimes the four to capitalize on their rebounding skills. Maine would be short again, as it was with Liz Wood at the four, but very talented.

It's starting to round into what looks like a pretty good team. Keep shaking those trees, Amy. There's gotta be some more bigs hiding in the leaves up there.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby mainejeff » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:27 am

That is an awesome pic of Saar with the hair flying. Signing Saar will allow Sutton (3), Milan (2-3) and Brosseau (2) to flourish in their more natural positions offensively.

Bob...I would say that Kelava along with Fanning & Milan were the 3 players that improved the most from start to finish.
mainejeff

Postby Blind Zebra » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:44 am

Saar looks like a nice pick up! The MacDonald girl looks like a developmental big. She is very thin and probably not ready for the step up in competition this season. They have to get a legit power forward or Center who can be a reliable scoring option. Johnson has improved and can do a decent job defensively and on the boards, but ideally you don't want her starting. Using a rotation at 1 through 3 of: Saar, Fogarty, Milan, Brosseau and Sutton with McVicar on the fringe is pretty darned good. They definitely need 1 more reliable big, otherwise they are going to have to play small with Sutton at the 4 ,or start Johnson at the 5.
Blind Zebra

Postby turkeyman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:50 am

MJ, I agree with you on the players now being able to return to their natural positions. Maine had kids playing out of position last year, which was no one's fault. Some of it was forced by the injury to Sigi, some by the fortunate dilemma of having to decide where to use Tanesha, a point guard who led the team in rebounds, and Blanca, a 5-11 who plays at least a couple of inches taller, because both are multi-talented.

I thought about Kelava as one of the most improved, and it's a strong argument to put her in the top three. I just said Julie instead because she showed some ability to move to the point when Sigi was out and because she is developing a strong dribble penetration to complement her three-point shooting. Kelava had two bad games at the end, and seemed not to have developed an ability to bang around underneath with the bigs of UNH and Albany. But I won't argue too long or too loudly that she didn't improve her game quite a bit.

Any word on where the five defectors are going? I haven't seen anything posted.

Bob Neal
New Shaorn
turkeyman

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:19 pm

turkeyman wrote:MJ, I agree with you on the players now being able to return to their natural positions. Maine had kids playing out of position last year, which was no one's fault. Some of it was forced by the injury to Sigi, some by the fortunate dilemma of having to decide where to use Tanesha, a point guard who led the team in rebounds, and Blanca, a 5-11 who plays at least a couple of inches taller, because both are multi-talented.

I thought about Kelava as one of the most improved, and it's a strong argument to put her in the top three. I just said Julie instead because she showed some ability to move to the point when Sigi was out and because she is developing a strong dribble penetration to complement her three-point shooting. Kelava had two bad games at the end, and seemed not to have developed an ability to bang around underneath with the bigs of UNH and Albany. But I won't argue too long or too loudly that she didn't improve her game quite a bit.

Any word on where the five defectors are going? I haven't seen anything posted.

Bob Neal
New Shaorn

Bob: I have some possible choices for Sole, Keleva and Caceres.

Please go to my CIM's latest Blog if you are interested in those choices and what you think of them?

Which one do you think will happen and which one you would like to see happen?

CIM
bcbc55

Re: UMaine Basketball - Women: 2017-18

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed May 03, 2017 3:27 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
Welcome back @pariserossignol !!

#BlackBearNation

Details: http://bit.ly/2pu27QB
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed May 03, 2017 5:01 am

Van Buren’s Rossignol to Return to UMaine Women’s Basketball Program
- http://wabi.tv/2017/05/02/van-burens-ro ... l-program/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri May 05, 2017 2:48 am

Maine Women's Hoops‏ @BlackBearsWBB
Welcome to #BlackBearNation, Kira Barra!

6'3" | Forward | Dillingen, Germany

Details: http://bit.ly/2pF1sMp
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby AMO12 » Fri May 05, 2017 2:34 pm

Maeve Carroll‏ @carroll_maeve
Excited to announce my commitment to play basketball for the University of Maine! Go Black Bears!

Some info about her: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/rec ... 0bae799351
AMO12

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics