AD for a month

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: AD for a month

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:35 pm

augie wrote:Are you serious? Keep everything the same but improve the assistant coaches experience STAT to get better assistants to advance UMaine athletics? ...
Yep and Yep.

Ya ONLY got 30-days in this scenario dude. What I propose could perhaps actually be done in 30 days, unlike all the total restructuring of a bunch of stuff that some suggest that would take Months and Years. That kinda a blah-blah-blah just Don't Fit the "AD for a month" constraints of this game.

Mine Does. What are your brilliant ideas for a Quick (= 30-days) game plan with long-term prospects to make a difference ?

Ever really think about how key the assistant coach positions are, and what we offer up in Orono (= darn little, and basically crap on a pancake, that ya gotta buy yourself, and for your family ...??) ????
Get back to me/us when ya got some actual ideas. Who knows .... ?????
TAL1957

Postby augie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:43 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
augie wrote:Are you serious? Keep everything the same but improve the assistant coaches experience STAT to get better assistants to advance UMaine athletics? ...
Yep and Yep.

Ya ONLY got 30-days in this scenario dude. What I propose could perhaps actually be done in 30 days, unlike all the total restructuring of a bunch of stuff that some suggest that would take Months and Years. That kinda a blah-blah-blah just Don't Fit the "AD for a month" constraints of this game.

Mine Does. What are your brilliant ideas for a Quick (= 30-days) game plan with long-term prospects to make a difference ?

Ever really think about how key the assistant coach positions are, and what we offer up in Orono (= darn little, and basically crap on a pancake, that ya gotta buy yourself, and for your family ...??) ????

My first order of business would be to hire you as director of fundraising and hold your feet to the fire to bring that $3 million in those first 30 days.
augie

Postby nhsfan4life » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:11 pm

augie wrote:
TAL1957 wrote:
Yep and Yep.

My first order of business would be to hire you as director of fundraising and hold your feet to the fire to bring that $3 million in those first 30 days.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
nhsfan4life

Postby BearDownBears » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:04 am

Love to hear people spitballing ideas....fun stuff. U Maine is currently short in many positions besides the coaching side of things. 2 in sports medicine, 2 in strength, 2 academic support, 1 equipment room
few concerns here:
1. any increase or change in sports (addition speaking mainly) means a need increase in Sports Medicine staffing, Strength staffing, academic support, equipment ...etc.
2. How do we fund the sports we have right now better? Plus
We have a football stadium that is soon to be the worst in CAA, A hockey arena that is the no longer attractive to players or future players, Basketball programs that are off campus (great facility) however the disconnect (due to losing and poor performances mainly) in the student body is clear. They do not want to travel to Bangor Period!
They do from time to time however the students say it is a waste of time.
3. The experience for the student athletes has to improve. It has to get better before they worry about just the fans. This is just my opinion....players leaving everywhere.
4. How can U Maine be the Flag Ship without more involvement from the System to give more Money for growth.
would and do want to see U maine get national attention and WIN!
BearDownBears

Postby nhsfan4life » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:07 am

BearDownBears wrote:Love to hear people spitballing ideas....fun stuff. U Maine is currently short in many positions besides the coaching side of things. 2 in sports medicine, 2 in strength, 2 academic support, 1 equipment room
few concerns here:
1. any increase or change in sports (addition speaking mainly) means a need increase in Sports Medicine staffing, Strength staffing, academic support, equipment ...etc.
We have a football stadium that is soon to be the worst in CAA, A hockey arena that is the no longer attractive to players or future players, Basketball programs that are off campus (great facility) however the disconnect (due to losing and poor performances mainly) in the student body is clear. They do not want to travel to Bangor Period!
3. The experience for the student athletes has to improve. It has to get better before they worry about just the fans. This is just my opinion....players leaving everywhere.
4. How can U Maine be the Flag Ship without more involvement from the System to give more Money for growth.

I know for a fact we have more people in the Equipment room, and the sports medicine department, then two people a piece.
nhsfan4life

Postby turkeyman » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:07 am

TAL, I like your idea about the assistant coaches. Did you see what Amy Vachon was being paid as associate head coach? Wasn't it about $42k? That means the other three wbb assistants were making less. And, Player and Curry had previous coaching experience.

Pay for assistants has been an issue before at UMaine. Joanne Palumbo pushed to get raises for hers. When Long Beach State head-hunted her, she turned down the job but leveraged the offer to get more bucks for her assistants. If I remember correctly, she didn't ask for any more for herself but said she would go to LBSU if her assistants didn't get more.

Haven't I read posts on this board that at least one football assistant hasn't been seen at spring practice? Has he just left and not been replaced? We'll never know if we wait for the athletic department to tell us what's going on there.

My best guess is that the athletic department doesn't pay much attention to what assistants need. After all, Maine often hires head coaches who are clearly using Maine as a stepping stone, so why would any assistant coach do anything different? In your 30 days as AD, good luck, TAL, at finding the $3 million.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby BearDownBears » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:55 am

nhsfan4life wrote:
BearDownBears wrote:Love to hear people spitballing ideas....fun stuff. U Maine is currently short in many positions besides the coaching side of things. 2 in sports medicine, 2 in strength, 2 academic support, 1 equipment room
few concerns here:

I know for a fact we have more people in the Equipment room, and the sports medicine department, then two people a piece.
Not what I was saying....they are two people short currently to what they should be operating at....
BearDownBears

Postby TAL1957 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:13 pm

augie wrote: ... My first order of business would be to hire you as director of fundraising and hold your feet to the fire to bring that $3 million in those first 30 days.
Good Call Augie-Bear !!!

Now WHAT do you have to offer ??? Anything ?? Anything ??? Put Up Dude !! ???

Anything that could be done in 30-days ?? Still waiting for you to Put Up or ..... ????

Say What ..... ???? ZZZzzzzzz yep, ya got Nothin !!!
TAL1957

Postby augie » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:46 am

TAL1957 wrote:
augie wrote: ... My first order of business would be to hire you as director of fundraising and hold your feet to the fire to bring that $3 million in those first 30 days.
Good Call Augie-Bear !!!

Now WHAT do you have to offer ??? Anything ?? Anything ??? Put Up Dude !! ???

Anything that could be done in 30-days ?? Still waiting for you to Put Up or ..... ????

Say What ..... ???? ZZZzzzzzz yep, ya got Nothin !!!

My best advice....

“It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt” Mark Twain.

In all seriousness, Happy Easter TAL!
augie

Postby thebam » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:34 pm

1. Day 1, I would announce the elimination of Women's hockey and the formation of a committee to investigate the feasibility of starting up Men's and Women's Lacrosse. Dollars and cents and logistically.

2. Announce that we will be funding the installation of ice into the Cross Center in Bangor and all home hockey games would be played there. Alfond arena would be , again, renovated , into a state of the art practice and training facility.

3. Announce the planned construction for a parking garage adjacent to Alfond Stadium.

4. Announce plans for partnering with the City of Orono to expand tailgating areas on and around campus.

5. Renovate Alfond Stadium in a manner in which it is closed in on 3 sides, with suites and offices along with a giant scoreboard on 1 end.

6. Get approval to sell beer at all home sporting events.

7. Reach out to ALL alumni from football and hockey ( especially the pros) to have them assist in the funding of these upgrades.

8. Find a state of the art marketing company to handle all UMaine athletics. A company that will get people from all areas of Maine excited about Maine athletics.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics