UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Postby fafan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:39 pm

dunbar wrote:We averaged over 6500 in the two November games last year. They better meet the bottom line or this is going to be a one year thing. Hockey is already cutting down from three games to one in Portland because it was a disaster.

Dunbar, I was at both games and there was no more than 4,500 in the stands and you know this as well and these were the two most important games of the year. In yrs gone by when the this team would be under .500 it was not uncommon to see less than 500 in the stands for Novembers games.

As far as hockey goes if they were a good team people would go but the program and team have somehow continued to decline but this is the year every thing turns around :lol:
fafan

Postby dunbar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 pm

fafan wrote:
dunbar wrote:We averaged over 6500 in the two November games last year. They better meet the bottom line or this is going to be a one year thing. Hockey is already cutting down from three games to one in Portland because it was a disaster.

Dunbar, I was at both games and there was no more than 4,500 in the stands and you know this as well and these were the two most important games of the year. In yrs gone by when the this team would be under .500 it was not uncommon to see less than 500 in the stands for Novembers games.

So with the University's reporting patterns, why should we expect anything different for Portland? 6500 tickets sold is still greater than the 6300 maximum that could sell down in Portland. It's going to be very difficult to cover the expenses of playing in smaller facility two hours away. I don't like giving up home games, especially in a November playoff push.
dunbar

Postby TAL1957 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 pm

:roll: :roll: :roll: :cry:

Ya just don't get it, do ya kiddo ???
This is a Wonderful Thing for UMaine Football. All the speculation and over-analysis regarding attendance and costs is IRRELEVANT !!!!

This Is a just Simply a GREAT THING for UMaine Football.

Great Work by the UMaine Athletic Department and those involved !!! Creech - plus 10 ! Coach H. - Plus 10 !!!

Nuff Said. Critics are no more than just that. :roll: :lol: :) :) :D :D :D :D
TAL1957

Postby nhsfan4life » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:30 pm

I HATE PORTLAND.

Dammit. I hate that we take games from Orono and move them 3 hours away. It makes no sense. I cannot stand it.
nhsfan4life

Postby augie » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:47 pm

nhsfan4life wrote:I HATE PORTLAND.

Dammit. I hate that we take games from Orono and move them 3 hours away. It makes no sense. I cannot stand it.

When you get older you'll be the guy yelling at kids to get off your lawn. Very happy to be able to watch a game down here this fall.
augie

Postby Archer Bunker » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:24 pm

If they were really smart they would play all of their games in Portland. Best sports town in the state.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby bcbc55 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:If they were really smart they would play all of their games in Portland. Best sports town in the state.

AB

AB: Good point. If they were smart they would move the flagship school for athletics from Orono to Gorham and make USM the D-1 school and UMaine at Orono the D-3 program. Much better for recruiting in-staters and out-of-staters. Would draw better crowds for all events.

80% of the money in the state and 80% of the population in rhe state is in the greater Portland Area south to Kittery.

Location, location, location.

CIM
bcbc55

Postby fafan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:27 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:If they were really smart they would play all of their games in Portland. Best sports town in the state.

AB

Let's not lose perspective here. The Fitzy is not the Alfond. It will be interesting to see how the city tries to upgrade it for this game. There are many items that will be lacking compared to Orono-
1)Lack of tailgating
2)No indoor plumbing-Porta Pottie Central
3)Lack of concessions
4)No replay screen
5)Where will the band play, pregame and game
6)Beer Garden
7)Friends of Maine football game area and pregame interview with Coach H,
Bottom line there are many things that make Orono a true college football game experience and it will be interesting to see if Portland tries to duplicate it or just make it a HS game experience.
fafan

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:24 am

UMaine football to play Delaware in Portland
ORONO - For the first time since 2005, the University of Maine football squad is headed back to Portland
http://www.foxbangor.com/sports/item/19 ... n-portland
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby thebam » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:22 pm

AB

Portland Pirates on line 1.
thebam

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics