UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Postby fafan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:42 pm

Wow, I thought this was a shocker in that not only is the 2nd to last home game of the year at the Fitzy but the Jeff Cole spring scrimmage is there as well. We had kicked this idea around a couple of weeks on this site and I was in favor it but never thought it would happen this yr. Playing Delaware on 11/4 is great now lets see if UMaine can close off some parking lots at USM for some good ole tailgating. :D :D :D :D

http://goblackbears.com/news/2017/4/13/ ... rship.aspx
fafan

Re: UMaine Football in Portland(twice)

Postby fafan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:03 pm

Don't know how this game can't be a sellout at 6,300 fans. This should be a great day of football in the states largest city. Kreech and staff has hit a homerun with this one. Giving season ticket holders the option of taking tix for another game is a great idea as well, although I have no idea why u wouldn't want to go. ;)
A packed Fitzy, with the band and more festivities to be announced should make for a great day and the next weekend down to Fenway, awesome!!!!
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Last 3 games of the season.....

Nov. 4 - Delaware @ Portland
Nov. 11 - UMass @ Fenway
Nov. 18 - Stony Brook @ Orono

Can we make this our annual November schedule?!!! :) :) :)
mainejeff

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:40 am

... “Portland is a great city. It’s a passionate sports city and playing there could be a major asset to our program,” said UMaine head coach Joe Harasymiak. “We want to engage that community. We are the flagship university and the only Division I school in the state and we want football to be important around the state.

“It has shown to be a good thing for hockey and basketball,” added Harasymiak.

UMaine drew an average of 4,370 fans to its three hockey games in Portland against Boston College, Brown and Notre Dame last winter and has submitted a bid to host an NCAA hockey tournament regional.

The America East Women’s basketball tournament at Cross Insurance Arena, which included the quarterfinals and semifinals, drew an average of 1,561. It was the second-highest total in five years.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/04/13/s ... -portland/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby dunbar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 am

My biggest question is how does selling out a 6,300 seat stadium two hours away, with all of the expenses involved playing off campus, make more money than playing at home?
dunbar

Postby fafan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:52 am

dunbar wrote:My biggest question is how does selling out a 6,300 seat stadium two hours away, with all of the expenses involved playing off campus, make more money than playing at home?

Where does it say they would make more money playing in Portland? Don't think that was the objective of playing in Portland. I think marketing the team/program and school to southern Maine is more of the objective than making money for that one game.

I still say that to play UNH in Portland would be amazing as well ;)
fafan

Postby mainejeff » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:24 am

2000 paying customers in Orono vs. 6000 paying customers in Portland...plus the game has a corporate sponsor.
mainejeff

Postby fafan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:34 am

mainejeff wrote:2000 paying customers in Orono vs. 6000 paying customers in Portland...plus the game has a corporate sponsor.

UMaine will average probably 7-8K it's first 3 home games and then November comes and it all goes to hell in a hand basket!!!
Can only remember two games after November being well attended, the infamous snow game with UNH and the playoff game with UNH in 13?
Playing this one in Portland makes a lot of sense, have no problem making the trip south, will be doing it 3 times-
UNH, Portland and Fenway.
fafan

Postby dunbar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:50 am

We averaged over 6500 in the two November games last year. They better meet the bottom line or this is going to be a one year thing. Hockey is already cutting down from three games to one in Portland because it was a disaster.
dunbar

Postby mainejeff » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:45 pm

Hockey IS a disaster...has nothing to do with Portland. Also...could they have picked a worse time to bid on a hockey regional? :oops: :oops: :oops:
mainejeff

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics