AD for a month

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

AD for a month

Postby nhsfan4life » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:18 am

We all like to spitball and play arm chair QB. That much is obvious to anyone who reads this forum in their spare time. So I thought it would be interesting if we placed parameters around our armchair QBing.

You, Mr or Mrs poster, are the Athletic Director at the University of Maine for the month of May. What changes do you make? Let's try and make them reasonable, as in they could reasonably be proposed and enacted within a months time.

I have a few ideas, but I'll save them for later. I'm more interested in what you guys have in mind!
nhsfan4life

Re: AD for a month

Postby mainejeff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 pm

My suggestions are too controversial to list...but they involve subtracting and adding programs as well as firing people.
mainejeff

Postby bcbc55 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:37 pm

nhsfan4life:

I will post my suggestions on my CIM's latest Blog.
Last edited by bcbc55 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby nhsfan4life » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:48 pm

mainejeff wrote:My suggestions are too controversial to list...but they involve subtracting and adding programs as well as firing people.

As I'm sure most people's do. I know mine do.
nhsfan4life

Postby dunbar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:13 pm

-Drop women's hockey.
-Add women's lacrosse. Make up scholarship difference by adding schollies to soccer, FH, and softball.
-Build a new lighted soccer/lacrosse/track facility north of Mahaney.
-Replace turf at Morse Field and build new east grandstand. Reduce space between sidelines and grandstands at Alfond Stadium and build a permanent end-zone beer garden/fan zone. By removing the track, you reduce the overall footprint and could add more parking.
-Eventually replace the Alfond. If you call your facility the "Old Girl", then it's time to put it out to pasture. Make it Cross Center caliber. Yes, that means basketball too. At least for weeknight games.

And Bob, re-read his username.
dunbar

Postby TAL1957 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:45 pm

... in my first 30-days I would just accept that all staffing is gonna just stay the same for now, even the questionable folks who can't maintain even a halfway decent website let alone PR program, and focus on the Kick-Off of an Aggressive, Matching Fund endowment dedicated specifically to, and Only to, enhancing Assistant Coach positions and compensation !!! Everything from $$$ to great places to live while coaching in Orono !!! Would make an Asst. Coach job in Orono, Maine a Great Experience/Opportunity, and Then Some !!!

Initial Goal would be a $3 Million endowment specifically dedicated to and Limited to use for Assistant Coaching positions in the sports that matter (Basketball, Football, Baseball and Softball).
TAL1957

Postby augie » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:57 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
nhsfan4life wrote:.... Let's try and make them reasonable, as in they could reasonably be proposed and enacted within a months time.
THIS !!! Already off-track, but ....

... in my first 30-days I would just accept that all staffing is gonna just stay the same for now, even the questionable folks who can't maintain even a halfway decent website let alone PR program, and focus on the Kick-Off of an Aggressive, Matching Fund endowment dedicated specifically to, and Only to, enhancing Assistant Coach positions and compensation !!! Everything from $$$ to great places to live while coaching in Orono !!! Would make an Asst. Coach job in Orono, Maine a Great Experience/Opportunity, and Then Some !!!

Initial Goal would be a $3 Million endowment specifically dedicated to and Limited to use for Assistant Coaching positions in the sports that matter (Basketball, Football, Baseball and Softball).

Are you serious? Keep everything the same but improve the assistant coaches experience STAT to get better assistants to advance UMaine athletics? Can't wait to get that mailing asking for $.
augie

Postby turkeyman » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:09 am

If we follow the guideline that nhsfan4life set down, and only have the month of May, we don't have much wiggle room.

So, 90 percent of my time as AD for a month (AD/31) will go to dealing with the hockey program:
1) Is men's hockey still one of Maine's elite sports (along with wbb, football, field hockey, baseball, softball)?
2) Does hockey need a coaching change for men and/or women?
3) What process can be set in motion to get first-rate facilities, knowing that another lean-to built onto the Alfond is not the answer.
4) Should Maine continue both men's and women's hockey?

The other 10 percent of my AD/31 would be given to setting two processes in motion. Specifically, much as I hate to set up yet another ad hoc committee, Maine needs to review all sports. When Dr. Kathryn Slott, a professor of French, headed such a committee about 15 years ago, the committee found ways to continue athletics without wholesale slashes. Men's soccer did go, but other sports that might have seemed marginal to many (swimming, cross-country, etc.?) were saved. If the current sports are threatened by lack of finances, then the university must find ways to do more with less. (Dr. Slott, by the way, is not only a true academic, she is a supporter of several of Maine's sports teams. For the committee, I would want people with her approach to the issue, that is, people who see the value of the athletic programs to the overall effort of the university.)

My second committee as AD/31 would be to do some blue-skying about athletics. Sports has proven to be a terrific avenue into real life for thousands of college grads. How is it that Colby sponsors 33 sports, Bowdoin 31, while UMaine sponsors 15? This situation is not unique to Maine. Some P5 conference schools have fewer sports even than UMaine. Is there a way, any way, to offer more sports, such as the championship wrestling program that doesn't have official status as a team sport yet is wonderfully successful? It's not just money. Colby, Bates, Bowdoin strive for participation and allocate resources to achieve it. Despite the obvious apples and oranges problems, as AD/31 I would like to see if there is any future in raising participations in athletics. If sports are good for college kids, and I believe they are, what can UMaine do to get more sports to more kids?

It will be a busy May for the AD/31.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby nhsfan4life » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:40 am

This is awesome, folks.

TAL, That's an interesting idea. We certainly do lack much of a draw for high-level assistant coaches to come to the area, but I'm not sure that's what's holding back the athletic department, but interesting nonetheless.
nhsfan4life

Postby Countryboy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 am

Continue on with the status quo, because we all know that is what's going to occur.
Countryboy

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics