UMaine Basketball - Men:: 2017-18

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: MBB: 2017-18 .... Looking ahead:

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:According to NERR, Maine has offered a big! 6'10 Center Miks Antoms from Lee Prep. Checked out some video and he is a true low post center with solid offensive moves on the low block. Shows a decent touch out to 15 feet. I'd say he's in the 230-240 range. A bit slow footed but a decent looking prospect.

BZ: WOW: ALRIGHT. But how good is he seeing that he is still available so late in the recruiting process. Has he had any other offers? Is he good basket defender? Don't care about his offensive ability because Maine has hardly ever gone inside anyway during the past 3 years.

The Lee Preppers coming to UMaine other than Calixe have not helped the Bears much. Ilija S. has not helped much at all.

If Dusan M. couldn't help LaSalle at all, which he didn't as he didn't get much PT how is he going to help Maine, oh yeah, they don't have enough guards do they?

So is it a race between the 6' 5" Juco guard they have offered and this big from Lee. If he is any good at all I would hope Maine holds off on his decision before using the schollie on another guard, unless of course there are other transfers that we don't know about yet.

BZ. Is the Lee Big better defensively than EZE right now by what you have seen and know?

Thanks BZ for keeping us updated as UMaine doesn't do much of that. In fact, they don't even post on goblackbears.com under men's basketball news of the 2 offers they have made.

Sorry to be so negative, but do they ever do or get anything right in the men's basketball program at UMaine or is it only going to be by accident that do?
Last edited by bcbc55 on Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:01 pm

I am going on the little bit of video and not haven't watched Antoms live. A very different player from Eze. Eze is fast and can leap. A raw and still developing athlete, best served as a power 4. Eze could be ready to take a big step forward in production. It comes down to guarding without fouling so he can stay on the floor. He is working hard on his offensive game.
Antoms looks like a true low post 5. He has some nice post moves and decent touch. Not sure he can help the defense much, but could be a space eater and help on the defensive boards. Good to have a developmental big on the roster. Get him in the weight room and working hard on agility drills. If they could extend his range and add the face up game, all the better.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:I am going on the little bit of video and not haven't watched Antoms live. A very different player from Eze. Eze is fast and can leap. A raw and still developing athlete, best served as a power 4. Eze could be ready to take a big step forward in production. It comes down to guarding without fouling so he can stay on the floor. He is working hard on his offensive game.
Antoms looks like a true low post 5. He has some nice post moves and decent touch. Not sure he can help the defense much, but could be a space eater and help on the defensive boards. Good to have a developmental big on the roster. Get him in the weight room and working hard on agility drills. If they could extend his range and add the face up game, all the better.

BZ: Thanks for the evaluation. I know you know your basketball business so I put a lot of stock in your post.

If they can get the Lee Big it would be a lot better than getting another JUCO guard that they have already offered too regardless of his defensive ability right now.

Again, not knowing about the transfer situation maybe they can sign both if they want to come to UMaine.

Haven't heard anything more on Bernstein except the original post from "dunbar" about the campus rumor of Bernstein transferring.

I think that Maine does have 2 schollies left if Bernstein stays and doesn't get the schollie he supposedly was going to be offered or if he transfers.

Thanks again for your posts. They are always interesting, timely and informative.
bcbc55

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:53 am

UM SportsPerformance‏ @BlackBearsSP
Men's basketball working on making the little things right. https://www.instagram.com/p/BSb7KgTA3L_/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby HoopScoop2009 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:46 pm

I've attached an article from NERR (from back in February) for some insight into the best available bigs in the region. Some familiar names (Miks Antoms and Jalanni White) and some that might not be so familiar.

I'll tell you what I think... if Maine didn't at least reach out to Dimon Carrigan than they made a big mistake.

At this point he only, to my knowledge, holds one offer... DII Southern Connecticut. Has pretty much settled on a prep year and has now gained interest from Quinnipiac and Boston College. Might be the MA Mr. Basketball, double-double machine, a terrific athlete and rim-protector, needs to add weight and not super polished on the offensive end, but he's made huge strides in the last year. 6'9", 215... looks like he's put on about 20 pounds since last spring, now playing with BABC EYBL.

For comparison's sake... NERR ranks him as the 67th best recruit in New England's 2017 class, two spots behind Antoms.

His classmate and teammate, Daniel Rymer committed to Maine for football, so there'd be some familiarity for him if he came up to Orono.

That being said, I have no idea if the Maine staff reached out and inquired on his interest. That's one thing we never know that I think gets over-looked on here. The staff at Maine could reach out to every big in the region, but if they said "Nah Coach, I'm not looking to go up to Orono." then of course Maine isn't going to extended a scholarship offer. You have to find guys that are willing and want to come play at Maine. But again, it's my belief that if they didn't at least reach out, they made a huge mistake. Mark my words, after a prep year this kid will be playing in a mid-major to high major program.

Other name of interest... Siddy Sissoko. Did his post-graduate year in Maine at Bridgton Academy. Would hope that they inquired on his level of interest also.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... ble-bigs-1
HoopScoop2009

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:00 pm

HoopScoop2009 wrote:I've attached an article from NERR (from back in February) for some insight into the best available bigs in the region. Some familiar names (Miks Antoms and Jalanni White) and some that might not be so familiar.

I'll tell you what I think... if Maine didn't at least reach out to Dimon Carrigan than they made a big mistake.

At this point he only, to my knowledge, holds one offer... DII Southern Connecticut. Has pretty much settled on a prep year and has now gained interest from Quinnipiac and Boston College. Might be the MA Mr. Basketball, double-double machine, a terrific athlete and rim-protector, needs to add weight and not super polished on the offensive end, but he's made huge strides in the last year. 6'9", 215... looks like he's put on about 20 pounds since last spring, now playing with BABC EYBL.

For comparison's sake... NERR ranks him as the 67th best recruit in New England's 2017 class, two spots behind Antoms.

His classmate and teammate, Daniel Rymer committed to Maine for football, so there'd be some familiarity for him if he came up to Orono.

That being said, I have no idea if the Maine staff reached out and inquired on his interest. That's one thing we never know that I think gets over-looked on here. The staff at Maine could reach out to every big in the region, but if they said "Nah Coach, I'm not looking to go up to Orono." then of course Maine isn't going to extended a scholarship offer. You have to find guys that are willing and want to come play at Maine. But again, it's my belief that if they didn't at least reach out, they made a huge mistake. Mark my words, after a prep year this kid will be playing in a mid-major to high major program.

Other name of interest... Siddy Sissoko. Did his post-graduate year in Maine at Bridgton Academy. Would hope that they inquired on his level of interest also.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... ble-bigs-1

HoopScoop2009: Go to my CIM's latest Blog if you are interested in my response to your interesting and informative post.
bcbc55

Postby Blind Zebra » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Potential Maine recruit F Bobby Planutis of Bridgton Academy is off the board, commiting to Mount St Mary's. Putnam Science PG Jaheam Cornwall was on an official visit to Maine last week. No word on how the visit went.
Blind Zebra

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:30 pm

Blind Zebra wrote:Potential Maine recruit F Bobby Planutis of Bridgton Academy is off the board, commiting to Mount St Mary's. Putnam Science PG Jaheam Cornwall was on an official visit to Maine last week. No word on how the visit went.

BZ: Thanks for the info. PLease go to my CIM's latest BLOG for my question.
bcbc55

Postby Linguist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 am

6-8, 220 JuCo Power Forward Max Portman is off the board.

https://twitter.com/maxportmann/status/851153321981353985

He is taking his game to the UMBC Retrievers, not that he was ever interested or offered by UMaine, but a 6-8 PF is headed to another school in the America East.

Find all of the conference recruiting info on http://verbalcommits.com/conferences/america-east
Linguist

Postby Linguist » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:54 am

6-5 Shooting Guard Noah Morgan is off the board.

According to a post on twitter he is headed to Fairleigh Dickinson University.

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/ ... 6930538496

Seems like the staff is missing out on these mid Atlantic prospects, should they turn their focus to Canada for players like :

James Karnik or Scott Hitchon

I'll admit, based just solely on their highlight tapes I'd like to see Maine get the two Connecticut kids they've offered - Brandon Horvath and Jalanni White. I just don't think they are headed north up 95 though.
Linguist

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics