NCAA's $200M Payout..Maine to add mental-health program

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Re: NCAA's $200M Payout, and what UM gets

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:10 am

UMaine to receive $640,038 in NCAA money for student-athletes

...One-time payouts totaling $200 million to nearly 350 Division I schools around the country stem from the liquidation of an NCAA quasi-endowment valued at more than $360 million.

Under a plan approved in 2016 by the NCAA board of governors and the Division I board of directors, each NCAA Division I program will receive an allocation from the fund based on the number of athletic scholarships it provided during the 2013-14 academic year. The University of Maine’s award is based on 194.47 scholarship grants.

A working group of Division I presidents developed guidelines for use of the funds with the payouts to be dedicated to benefiting student-athletes in the following areas: academic support, life skills and career success, diversity and inclusion initiatives and health and well-being.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/03/27/s ... -athletes/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: UMaine to receive significant payout from NCAA

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:54 pm

TAL1957 wrote:Here's the important part:

A) UMaine will take home $640,038, the second most in America East behind Albany's $695, 429 payout.

B) the money can ONLY be spent on improving direct student-athlete "welfare" (???), aiding areas like academic support or healthcare. .... hmmm, .... Bail ??

But seriously, not exactly chump change !!
Gotta wonder though exactly where this money will go ?
Unfortunately, whaddya wanna bet it'll just go to "support" existing "academic support" or healthcare programs, i.e., a one-time dump into the existing budget(s), with little actual "new" benefits to student-athletes ??
Jus sayin' .... let's keep a very close eye on where this $$ goes !??

You missed UNH @ $711,424
yorkcountyUNHfan

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:21 pm

yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:

A) UMaine will take home $640,038, the second most in America East behind Albany's $695, 429 payout.

B) the money can ONLY be spent on improving direct student-athlete "welfare" (???), aiding areas like academic support or healthcare. .... hmmm, .... Bail ??

But seriously, not exactly chump change !!
Gotta wonder though exactly where this money will go ?
Unfortunately, whaddya wanna bet it'll just go to "support" existing "academic support" or healthcare programs, i.e., a one-time dump into the existing budget(s), with little actual "new" benefits to student-athletes ??
Jus sayin' .... let's keep a very close eye on where this $$ goes !??

And Stony Brook
yorkcountyUNHfan

Postby turkeyman » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Those numbers were in the link that Dunbar posted to begin this thread. One click (on gannett), and you got 'em all. The eight America East schools are listed first. Maine got the least amount, by a grand or so, of the four football schools (Albany, Stony Brook, UNH). The football schools got between $200,000 and $300,000 more than the four non-football (Bingo, UMBC, UVM. Hartford) schools. Lowell hasn't been in AE long enough to get anything.

Bob Neal
New Sharon
turkeyman

Postby TAL1957 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:21 pm

yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:

Yeah, I was lazy and just copied in what was in the linked article.

However UMaine ranked, it's still a pretty good chunk of foldin' money ! I do like how there seems to be a fair amount of accountability and transparency for plans on spending it. :) :D :D
TAL1957

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:48 pm

It's a huge chunk...I'll be very interested to hear how the different schools use it
yorkcountyUNHfan

Postby dunbar » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 pm

It has to go towards student-athlete support services, so it may just pad that portion of the budget the next few years. No facilities, no buyouts.
dunbar

Postby thebam » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:58 pm

dunbar wrote:It has to go towards student-athlete support services, so it may just pad that portion of the budget the next few years. No facilities, no buyouts.

Good thing Maine doesn't have any coaches that they would ever consider buying out right now. 8-)
thebam

Postby TAL1957 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:43 am

dunbar wrote:It has to go towards student-athlete support services, so it may just pad that portion of the budget the next few years. No facilities, no buyouts.

“The unique part of this one-time distribution is that it has to be used for enhanced or new programming,” Creech said. “They’ve been very careful to craft this so that schools don’t just use this money to fill a budget gap. They’ve laid out pretty specific parameters for how the money is to be spent and by when.”

And if ya read the rest of what is available, Creech identifies a variety of academic and other student-athlete support efforts that are "possible" with this money. So far it sounds like a pretty good deal that's setup well.
TAL1957

Re: NCAA's $200M Payout: to add mental-health program for at

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 27, 2017 4:47 am

UMaine using NCAA money to add mental-health program for athletes
The Black Bears received $640,000 in a one-time distribution from the NCAA to Division I schools.

... “It will allow us to make some improvements we otherwise wouldn’t be able to,” said Creech. “Like a lot of schools at our level, there are plenty of opportunities where we can get better.”

From the beginning, Maine focused on a mental health component. “We ask these student-athletes to put a lot of time and effort into academics, sports performance, the physical part,” said Coutts. “It’s time we put a priority on the mental part of it. It’s the healthy body, healthy mind approach.”

School officials met with a newly-formed athlete group called the Elite 13 – representing the school’s athletic programs – throughout the year to discuss the direction of the athletic department. “Their input was invaluable,” said Creech. “They were very helpful, willing to talk, and helped steer us.”

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/05/26/u ... -athletes/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics