CIM's Blog: Answering basketball_guys excellent posts

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Re: CIM'S Blog:

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:30 pm

For the answer of the question, What is basketball's perfect shot, just go to my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim Blog" for the answer. Just go to Bangor Daily News on line, hit the BLOG title in the upper right hand top of the list of news items. Then after it goes to Blogs, hit sports and you will find my BLOG with the answer.

You may find it very interesting.

Bob Cimbollek
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:43 pm

After considering the reason UMaine men probably is not able to get any adequate BIGS at least 6'8" 240 lbs is because no one on the coaching staff has been able to recruit one and did not have the specialized skill or ability to develop Gloger defensively for 2 years and Eke for one year offensively.

So plus the style of fast paced athletic play that forced THE BIGS to run from rim to rim on changes of possessions on shots or turnovers, that Coach Walsh wants to play using 10 or 11 players and only one player getting anymore then 25 minutes, and Gloger the senior sub of the bench the only true back-to-the-basket-player who only averaged 7.9 touches.

But yet Gloger scored 1//2 point a minute as he averaged 8.9 ppg in averaging 16 minutes per game off the bench.

Why would you if you were a BIG want to come to Maine anyway? Especially when the team has 10 guards out of 15 players on the roster for next year.

Now let's look at another area where this staff seems to be not specialized enough to help more of their players. No one on the staff seems capable of improving their teams foul shooting of 65% on 401 for 611, while their opponents shot 72.7% on 519 for 714.

This past season having such poor percentages from Eke 36.7%, I. S. 47.4% and they were starters and sub Bernstein at 40%.

Why wasn't someone on this staff able to help improve these poor foul shooting.
percentages especially for players who got plenty of minutes? If no one on the staff seemed capable of helping these 3 key performers why didn't Walsh find someone in the basketball world that could come in and help them improve their foul shooting skills and percentages.

So with no proven inside game because they could not recruit any proven BIGS physically tough and strong (6'8" 240lbs) in 3 recruiting cycles and now not being able to develop any BIGS when they had them available then is it any wonder why this program has gone 11-49 for a 18.3 winning percentage in the first 2 years of the current coaching regime.

Add to the fact that 3 of the 5 players transferring out this past spring were starters plus losing starter senior Shaun Lawton and senior sub Til Gloger.

Also, with only 1 starter returning point guard 6.0" Araon Calixe and 2 players that sat out last year Myer and Eze, they will have to count heavily on the 4 incoming freshmen recruits along with 4 returning players of which 3 are seniors.

In Walsh's June 28 inside Maine Basketball article his last one before the summer break from the players on goblackbears.com he seems to think that the returning players and the incoming recruits have all bought into his D-3 style of play. The question will be it won't make any difference if they buy in or not if they cannot at least finish at .500 in the conference and possibly finish in the middle of the AE Conference pack Standings and possibly win a quarter-final tourney game. Like the women's did in their third season after going 13-46 the first two years.

Only time will tell.
bcbc55

Postby TAL1957 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:18 am

bcbc55 wrote:For the answer of the question, What is basketball's perfect shot, just go to my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim Blog" for the answer. Just go to Bangor Daily News on line, hit the BLOG title in the upper right hand top of the list of news items. Then after it goes to Blogs, hit sports and you will find my BLOG with the answer.
.... Or, ...
"Question 1: What is basketball’s perfect shot?

It is a shot that goes thru the basket’s rim in the exact dead, center, and middle of the basket. "
http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/2016/07/24/high-school/answer-to-what-is-basketballs-perfect-shot/
P.S. Bob, ... the exact dead (sic) center of the basket, also happens to be the middle. :roll:
TAL1957

Postby Patsfan07 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:26 am

"Aim small, miss small"
Patsfan07

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:56 pm

TAL1957 wrote:
bcbc55 wrote:For the answer of the question, What is basketball's perfect shot, just go to my Bangor Daily News "Off the Rim Blog" for the answer. Just go to Bangor Daily News on line, hit the BLOG title in the upper right hand top of the list of news items. Then after it goes to Blogs, hit sports and you will find my BLOG with the answer.
.... Or, ...
"Question 1: What is basketball’s perfect shot?

It is a shot that goes thru the basket’s rim in the exact dead, center, and middle of the basket. "
http://offtherim.bangordailynews.com/2016/07/24/high-school/answer-to-what-is-basketballs-perfect-shot/
P.S. Bob, ... the exact dead (sic) center of the basket, also happens to be the middle. :roll:

Tal1957: I do know that, just trying to really, really emphasis that point AS BEING SO VITALLY IMPORTANT. Thanks for reading my blog and thanks for responding.
tHANKS
bcbc55

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:58 pm

Patsfan07 wrote:"Aim small, miss small"

Patsfan07" I like that, can I use it or do you have a copyrite on that?
bcbc55

Postby Patsfan07 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:02 pm

It's a quote from the movie, The Patriot, so I can't take credit for it.....but it fits with shooting a basketball too.
Patsfan07

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:32 pm

Patsfan07 wrote:It's a quote from the movie, The Patriot, so I can't take credit for it.....but it fits with shooting a basketball too.

Patsfan07: Thanks for the background, you are a very honest poster.
bcbc55

Postby Archer Bunker » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:23 pm

Cimmie The perfect shot and the shot that rattles around the rim and goes in are worth the same amount of points. So you shoot trying to make a perfect shot and your shot is off by a small fraction the ball still goes in. A 3-point shot that swishes through the net is much prettier than a rib-rattler but it is worth the same amount of points.
Now the question is.......What is the perfect lay-up? One that goes off the backboard and goes through the true center of the rim? Or is it a lay-up that goes directly over the rim and dropping through the true center without using the backboard? And again they are both worth the same amount of points. So realistically who cares if the ball hits the rim or not.....as long as it goes in!

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby bcbc55 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:52 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:Cimmie The perfect shot and the shot that rattles around the rim and goes in are worth the same amount of points. So you shoot trying to make a perfect shot and your shot is off by a small fraction the ball still goes in. A 3-point shot that swishes through the net is much prettier than a rib-rattler but it is worth the same amount of points.
Now the question is.......What is the perfect lay-up? One that goes off the backboard and goes through the true center of the rim? Or is it a lay-up that goes directly over the rim and dropping through the true center without using the backboard? And again they are both worth the same amount of points. So realistically who cares if the ball hits the rim or not.....as long as it goes in!

AB

ARCH: The perfect layup is one that goes off the backboard and then enters the basket in the dead center middle of the basket as that angle of the backboard is what puts the layup in the dead center position if they lay it of the backboard in the exact dead center middle of the square. Fewer layups are missed when the backboard is used properly.

Later when I describe the real season of getting Basketball Shooting GARBAGE (when the ball hots the rim and stays near or on the rim with a chance to go in) is much better then a basketball shooting BRICK that hits the rim and bounces far away with little chance to go in.

That is why it is important if your shot hits the rim it still has a chance to still go in to get garbage and not bounce away as a brick, where your teammates cannot get an offensive board and many times starts your opponents fastbreak.
bcbc55

PreviousNext

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics