Husson basketball - women

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Husson basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:54 am

Richards twins to join Husson women’s basketball program

BANGOR, Maine — Twin sisters Kelsie and Kylie Richards of Corinna and Nokomis Regional High School are among the three latest recruits to join the Husson University women’s basketball program. The two guards will be joined on coach Kissy Walker’s club next season by Samantha Bruce of Madison and Central Maine Community College of Auburn...

Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/2014/07/09/s ... l-program/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Husson Basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:43 am

Whitingham, VT - Husson University women's basketball was picked to finish third in the North Atlantic Conference preseason coaches' poll released today.

Finishing the 2013-14 season 15-12 (13-5 NAC), Husson returns nine players from last season, including four starters. Top Eagles returners include seniors Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) and Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME), junior guard/forward Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME), and sophomore guard Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME).

The team adds three first years to its roster in Emily Karter (Waterville, ME), Kelsie Richards (Corinna, ME), and Kylie Richards (Corinna, ME).

Last year's team made a trip to the North Atlantic Conference semifinals after defeating New England College in the quarterfinals. Guerrette was named the conference's Rookie of the Year, finishing the year ranking fourth in scoring (13.8 ppg) and free throw percentage (75.9), second in steals (47), and seventh in assists (53). A six-time recipient of the conference Rookie of the Week award, Guerrette also earned a spot on the Second Team All-Conference. She was also named the MWBCA Rookie of the Year.

Castleton State College and Colby-Sawyer College tied for the top spot in the 2014-15 North Atlantic Conference (NAC) women's basketball preseason poll. Both the Spartans and the Chargers split the ten first place votes for a total of 94 points apiece. Husson University earned third place with 80 points, while Maine Maritime Academy claimed fourth with 67 points and New England College was selected fifth after receiving 59 points to round out the top billing.

Voting for the preseason poll was conducted among the league's head women's basketball coaches.

2014-15 NAC Women's Basketball Preseason Coaches' Poll

Team Points (First Place Votes)
T1. Castleton 94 (5)
T1. Colby-Sawyer 94 (5)
3. Husson 80
4. Maine Maritime 67
5. New England College 59
6. UMaine-Farmington 52
7. Johnson State 44
8. Lyndon 25
9. Thomas 21
10. Green Mountain 14

Husson will open the 2014-15 season with a home game at Newman Gym against Bates on Tuesday, November 18, at 7 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Husson basketball - women

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:16 am

Women's Basketball Falls in Close Opener against Bates

Bangor, ME – Husson University women's basketball opened the 2014-15 season with a non-conference game against Bates on Tuesday night at Newman Gymnasium. Despite a close, back-and-forth game, Husson fell 71-65.

The Eagles jumped out to a strong start and led the Bobcats for much of the first half. Sophomore Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME) led Husson's offensive effort with 11 first half points , while junior Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) contributed eight and sophomore Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) added seven. Sophomore Kelsea Bouchard (Winslow, ME) led the defensive effort for Husson with four first half rebounds.

In the minutes leading into the half, Bates pulled ahead with a slight lead, and the Bobcats headed into the locker room up 42-36. Bernadette Connors (Windham, NH) scored 14 first half points, and teammate Chelsea Nason (Boxford, MA) added 11. Allie Coppola (Tarrytown, NY) pulled down nine rebounds for the visitors.

Husson regained the lead in the second stanza, and much of the second half went back-and-forth between the two teams. With just over six minutes remaining, Bates pulled away for a 62-55 lead. The Bobcats extended their lead to 67-58 with under two remaining. McIntyre sunk a three-pointer to close the gap to 68-61, but the Eagles would run out of time and fall by a final score of 71-65.

Guerrette finished the game with a game-high 24 points and four rebounds for Husson. McIntyre and senior Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME) also both scored in double digit figures, with 19 and 11 points respectively. With a double-double on opening night, McIntyre also pulled down 10 rebounds for Husson.

Connors finished the game with 18 points for Bates, and Molly Brown (South Dartmouth, MA) scored 17. Coppola pulled down an impressive, game-high 20 rebounds to lead the Bobcats.

Husson will next host St. Joseph's College of Maine in another non-conference match-up at 5:30 PM on Thursday, followed by the Husson men's basketball season opener at 7:30. Bates improves to 2-1 on the year and will next host the University of Maine-Farmington for a 7:00 PM match on Thursday.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:06 am

Women's Basketball Cruises to 65-24 Win at Thomas

WATERVILLE, ME – Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) had 12 points and five rebounds to lead the Husson University women's basketball team to a 65-24 North Atlantic Conference-opening win at Thomas on Tuesday evening. Husson improves to 1-2 overall and 1-0 in league play while Thomas falls to 0-5 and 0-1 in league play.

Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME) and Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) each had 11 points while Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME) added nine as the Eagles went on a 36-5 run to end the first half and take a 40-9 lead at the break.

McIntyre had nine in the first half while Cruz and Taylor Blood (Lincoln, ME) each had eight in the first stanza. The Eagles shot 45.2 percent in the first half while holding Thomas to 25.0 percent.

Husson cruised in the second half, outscoring the Terriers 25-15.

The Eagles shot 36.8 percent for the game while holding Thomas to 22.7 percent. Husson's defense forced 35 turnovers and turned them into 33 points.

Katie McAllister had 10 points to lead Thomas.

The Eagles return to the court on Saturday at Maine Maritime for a 1 p.m. game.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:38 am

Women's Basketball Defeats MMA in NAC Play

Castine, ME – Husson University women's basketball (2-2) improved to 2-0 in the North Atlantic Conference as they defeated Maine Maritime Academy (1-4, 0-2) 68-61 on Saturday afternoon at Smith Gymnasium.

The Eagles were led by Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME) who finished the afternoon with 19 points, six rebounds, four assists, and four steals and Katy Brochu (Bangor, ME) grabbed a double-double with 14 points and 11 boards. Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME) and Kelsea Bouchard (Winslow, ME) both scored 11 points for the Eagles, and Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) added 10.

The Mariners had three players in double figures in the loss, Maggie McConkey (Fryeburg, Maine) led the team with 15 points, five rebounds, three assists and a steal. Mary Badeen (Newport, Maine) picked up 14 points, nine rebounds, three assists and three steals, while Kristi Willey (Topsham, Maine) added 10 points, eight rebounds, and an assist.

The Eagles opened up the scoring when Guerrette made a three-pointer, but the Mariners responded with their own three-pointer from Willey, which sparked an eight-point run to build an early 8-3 lead.

Maine Maritime hung on to a lead for most of the first half, leading by as much as eight with a little over seven minutes remaining. Husson closed the gap, outscoring the Mariners 15-4 in the final minutes of the first half to take a narrow 26-25 lead into halftime.

Husson scored eight unanswered points to open up the second half to build a 34-25 lead. The Mariners kept fighting, closing the lead to just 60-54 with 3:48 remaining in the game.

The Mariners added six-unanswered points in the final moments, falling by a final score of 68-61.

Husson returns to action next weekend as they host Green Mountain and Castleton on Friday and Saturday in their final league games before the winter break.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:37 am

Husson Closes 2014 with Win at Warner Southern

Lake Wales, FL - Husson University women's basketball defeated Warner Southern on Wednesday afternoon to wrap up 2014. The Eagles, led by Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) with 25 points and Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) with a 16 point, 12 rebound double-double, won the game 85-73.

With the win, Husson improves to 4-4. Warner Southern stands at 3-5. In addition to her 25 points, McIntyre had six rebounds for the Eagles. Cruz added four assists on top of her double-double. Katy Brochu (Bangor, ME) added 14 points and six rebounds for Husson.

Starting off the game 10-1 and going up 41-32 at the half, the Eagles led for the entire game. Warner Southern got within three points at 44-41 early in the second half, but Husson responded with a 7-0 run and went on to win it.

The Eagles will next face Southern Maine on the road on January 7, 2015, at 6:00 PM.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:18 am

Women's Basketball Knocks Off USM in Overtime

Gorham, ME - Husson University women's basketball won in thrilling fashion on the road on Wednesday night, defeating the University of Southern Maine 79-77 in overtime. The Eagles improve to 5-4 with the win, while Southern Maine stands at 6-6.

Down 30-22 at the half, the Eagles came out incredibly strong in the second half and outscored the Huskies 46-38 to send the game into overtime. Husson's first and only lead of the game came with six seconds remaining in the first overtime period as Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME) sunk a jump shot to put the Eagles up 79-77.

Guerrette ended up with 21 points, six assists, and five rebounds to lead Husson on the night. Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) contributed 17 points, four assists, two steals, and two rebounds, and Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME) had 13 points, three rebounds, one assist, and one steal.

Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds to go with her double-double worthy 10 points, four steals, and one assist. Katy Brochu (Bangor, ME) also scored in the double-digits for the Eagles, adding 10 points, seven rebounds, two assists, two steals, and two blocks.

For Southern Maine, Megan Pelletier paced the team with a game-high and career-high 33 points on the night. She also collected 10 rebounds and was the only Huskies player with double-digit scoring or rebounds.

With the victory, the Eagles defeat Southern Maine for the first time since 1994 and improve to 13-34 in the series record against the Huskies. Husson's win snaps an 18-game losing streak against USM.

Husson will next take the court on Saturday at 3:00 PM, when the Eagles host Maine Maritime Academy at Newman Gym in North Atlantic Conference play.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:24 am

Women's Basketball Tops Mariners, 63-41

Bangor, ME – Husson University women's basketball improved to 6-4 (4-1 North Atlantic Conference) with a 63-41 victory over Maine Maritime Academy at Newman Gym on Saturday afternoon. The Mariners fall to 4-8 (1-4 NAC).

The Eagles started off strong with a 10-0 run in the opening minutes of the game with baskets from Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL), Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME), and Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME). The Mariners fought back to 10-8, led by Jillian Perron (Skowhegan, ME), then the teams traded baskets and Husson maintained a slight lead. With under five minutes remaining, the Eagles went on a big run to increase their lead to 28-14, and they headed into halftime up 30-16.

Comstock, McIntyre, and Cruz led the Eagles with eight, seven, and seven first half points, respectively. Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME) led the field with five first half rebounds. Mary Badeen (Newport, ME) led the Mariners with six points, and MacKenzie Vosburgh (Rhinebeck, NY) and Lauren McKenna (Wilmington, MA) each had four rebounds.

In the second half, the Eagles built up their lead to 19 points with seven minutes remaining, thanks in part to two consecutive three-pointers from Taylor Blood (Lincoln, ME). Comstock increased the lead to 21 with under five remaining with strong play in the paint. Husson closed out the game 63-41.

Comstock finished with a game-high 16 points, and Eagles teammate Guerrette added 10. Katy Brochu (Bangor, ME) tied for a game-high seven rebounds.

For the Mariners, Badeen and Perron each scored a team-high 13 points, and Badeen had seven rebounds.

Husson will next host Maine-Farmington in a 5:30 PM contest on January 13. MMA will host Thomas at the same time on Tuesday.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:44 pm

Women's Basketball Takes Down UMF, 66-54

Bangor, ME – Husson University women's basketball hosted the University of Maine-Farmington in North Atlantic Conference action on Tuesday evening. The Eagles (7-4, 5-1 NAC) defeated the Beavers (4-9, 4-3 NAC) by a final score of 66-54.

In the opening half, the Eagles jumped out to an early lead and found themselves ahead by eight points just over six minutes in. Victoria McIntyre (Mars Hill, ME) had eleven points early in the half to pace the Eagles. Jenessa Talarico (Lewiston, ME) gave UMF a brief lead at 26-25 with 5:50 on the clock, but Husson's Miranda Drinkwater (Greenville, ME) sunk a three on the next play to regain the lead. The Eagles carried a 37-30 lead into the break.

McIntyre scored 13 first half points and grabbed five rebounds to pace the Eagles. Drinkwater contributed six more points, and Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) grabbed three rebounds.

For the Beavers, Lindsay Ranquist (Owls Head, ME) had a team-high nine points in the first half. Elizabeth Ferry (Winslow, ME) pulled down seven rebounds.

Husson shot 40 percent in the first half and 83.3 percent from the foul line. Farmington shot 39.3 percent from field goal range and 60 percent from the foul line.

A 7-2 UMF run to open the second half cut Husson's lead to two points at 39-37. The Eagles responded with an 8-3 run of their own to give themselves some breathing room at 47-40, with 13:47 remaining. Late in the half, with the Eagles still ahead, a Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME) layup increased the lead to 11, and Husson closed out the game up 66-54.

McIntyre finished with a game-high 20 points on the night. She added seven rebounds, two steals, and one block to her total. Cruz scored 13 points and had five rebounds, two assists, and a steal.

Ferry put up a double-double for UMF with 10 points and 13 rebounds. Ranquist scored a team-high 14 points and added five rebounds.

Husson returns to action on the road with back-to-back conference games at Colby-Sawyer and New England College on Friday and Saturday. Farmington will next host Thomas on Saturday.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:42 am

Eagles Beat Badgers in NAC Women's Basketball Action

Bangor, ME - The Husson University women's basketball team defeated the Johnson State Badgers 68-61 on Friday night at Newman Gym. The Eagles improve to 9-6 (7-2 North Atlantic Conference), while the Badgers fall to 5-9 (5-4 NAC).

Stephanie Comstock (Bangor, ME) led Husson with 12 points, seven rebounds, one assist, and one steal on the night. Samira Cruz (Orlando, FL) added 11 points, six rebounds, one assist, and one steal for the Eagles, and Katy Brochu (Bangor, ME) had 10 points, seven rebounds, three steals, one assist, and one block.

The Eagles led 33-18 at the half, seeing strong play from Comstock and Chandler Guerrette (Presque Isle, ME). The team shot 28.6 percent from the field to Johnson State's 25 percent, and they shot 45.5 percent from behind the arc and 80 percent from the free throw line, where the Badgers shot 27.3 percent from both.

In the second half, the Badgers fought hard, outscoring the Eagles 43-35, but it wasn't enough. Johnson State's Brittany Robertson (Burlington, VT) had a game-high 16 points, and Ashley Goddard (Jamaica, VT) had 10 points. Dominique Carter-Stanley (Norwalk, CT) had a team-high seven rebounds.

Husson will turn around to host Lyndon State at 1 PM tomorrow. Johnson State will travel to Maine Maritime for a 12 PM Saturday tip-off
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)