CMCC basketball - men

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

CMCC basketball - men

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:59 am

Men's Basketball Lands Recruit

We are pleased to announce Bryon Graves, a 2013 graduate from Benjamin Franklin High School in Baltimore, Maryland, has committed to play for the Mustangs next year.  Breyon is a 6'5" swing player who averaged 12.5 points and 6 rebounds per game for his high school team.  He helped lead his team to a 21-4 record, the city championship and a number one finish in divisional play.   He was voted Most Outstanding Player his senior year.

According to Breyon:
"I chose CM because the moment I arrived on campus, I felt at home.   I was a little nervous at first because I would be 12 hours from home in West Baltimore, but the coaches, players, and even the students made me feel welcomed.  This comfort level helped me to decide to make CM my home for the next two years." 

From Coach Gonyea:
"Before Breyon visited we knew he could play.  However, watching him in pick-up and his interactions with our players, we knew this would be a good fit.  He can get up and down the court, is very quick and will fit into our running—pressing system.   A focus area in the recruiting process this year has been the size of our wing players.  We are looking for more size on the wing to compete at the national level.  Breyon is a natural wing player and at 6'5" he is exactly what we are looking for!  We are delighted he will part of our program next year!"
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: CMCC basketball - men

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:32 am

Greenville Standout Picks CM

Howie Stone, a standout for the Greenville Consolidated School Lakers this past winter, has committed to play at CM next season. Stone was chosen as the East-West Conference Player of the Year and a Maine McDonalds All-Star this past season while averaging 21 points, 11 rebounds, 2.6 assists and 2.3 steals per game.

Off the basketball court, Stone was an all-conference baseball and soccer player for the Lakers. He was part of the baseball team that won the Class D State Championship his freshman year, and the soccer team that won the Western Maine Class D Championship during his sophomore and junior seasons. This past year, he was named the Donald Roy Oustanding Male Athlete at Greenville.

As a true student-athlete, Stone was involved throughout many aspects of his school and community. The 2014 graduate was a member of the National Honor Society and made the Honor Roll all 4 years of high school. Stone also participated in Greenville's Key Club during each of his four years and served as editor as a senior. Most impressively, Stone graduated third in Greenville's 2014 class.

According to Stone, "I chose CM because I feel that it will be a great starting point. It's pretty small which is what I'm use to. It's also a better value to go here than to a university especially since I don't know what I want to do for a career. I love basketball and I talked to the coach Dave Gonyea, and he said that if I worked hard and practiced that there would be a spot for me on the team. It has always been my dream to play in college so I couldn't pass up that opportunity. I also really love the campus and how it's really close to the city. Most of all, I felt as though that this college was the best fit for me."

Head Men's Basketball Coach, Dave Gonyea, "We are very pleased Howie will be wearing the red and white next year. He is the total package; a very good student in the classroom, a solid character guy, and can get it done on the court. After watching the year Carrington Miller enjoyed last season, I will never underestimate the class D kids up north! Howie will need to make some adjustments but I think physically he will be able to compete at our level."
source: CMCC
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:24 am

Tennessee Native, Ben Barnes, Commits to Mustangs

Ben Barnes, a 5'11" guard from Memphis, Tennessee has committed to play men's basketball for the Mustangs this coming school year. Barnes, pictured with his mother, is a graduate of Gateway Christian School, where he led them to the NHBC championship in 2011. He was also selected as the NHBC Tournament MVP that year and a NHBC 2nd Team All-American. On the academic side, Barnes was a honor roll student throughout his high school career.

According to Men's Head Basketball Coach, Dave Gonyea, "We learned of Ben's availability from former CMCC Dean of Students, Randall Lee. Dean Lee is back in his home state of Mississippi and referred Ben to us. We do owe Dean Lee for this one! It was apparent early on during Ben's visit that he would be a good fit for our program. He jelled with our guys on and off the court. He moved seamlessly on the court; quick, agile and employs a high basketball IQ. He has found the weight room which impacts his play. He is a respectful young man who has a passion for basketball. Throughout workouts he was very attentive and coachable. Ben comes from a strong Christian background raised by two wonderful, supportive parents. We are very pleased Ben has selected CM to further his career."

According to Barnes, "The reason I chose CMCC is because of the kind and encouraging staff and Coach Gonyea. He showed me around the facilities and took me on a tour of the area. He was involved with all his players and their wellbeing. I got to play pick-up games with the players and they all loved it. So, I decided to make this my new home for a while."

source: http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/mbkb/2 ... 0805ka3ncx
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:04 am

Navy prep 90 CM 89

In men’s college basketball action tonight, CM hosted Navy Prep out of Rhode Island at Kirk Hall and ended up on the other end of a 90-89 score. The halftime score demonstrated how balanced (49-49) the game played out. The mustangs took a 89-88 lead with 53 seconds to play but couldn’t hold a stubborn Navy Prep squad. CM falls to 2-1 on the season and hosts Quinsigamond Community College tomorrow at Kirk Hall at 3pm.

http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/mbkb/2 ... 1_q654.xml
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:48 am

CM release:
Losing two days in a row is not in the mustangs DNA. CM avenged a one point loss (to Navy Prep on Saturday) today as the boys thumped Quinsigamond Community College 101-76 in an emotional battle at Kirk Hall. Forty minutes of full court pressure using all 17 mustangs forced 37 Quinsigamond turnovers. The mustangs dished out 24 assists and shot 45% for the game.

Jeremy Sureo (Providence, Rhode Island) led the home team with 17 points. He was followed by Carrington Miller (Bingham, ME) with 15 points-13 rebounds and Kazre Cummings, (Providence, Rhode) Island also chipped in 15 points in one half of play. CM moves to 3-1 on the young season. The boys travel to Dean College tomorrow for their third game in three days. CM will be celebrating banner night this Tuesday, Nov 4th at home...
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:24 am

CM release

Despite playing without their top two players in Kaze Cummings and Xavier Colbert and the fact CM played its third game in three days, the mustangs hung on for 30 minutes before dropping a 111-90 game on the road against a talented Dean College squad. This was Dean’s opening season game and they came ready to play! CM trailed at the half 55-43. The Bulldogs went on a 12-2 run at the 13 minute mark in the second half to take a 18 point lead. CM used all 17 players attempting to gain some much needed energy but could not make up any ground. Carrington Miller(Bingham, ME) was the shining star for CM. He battled Bulldog bigs all night long hauling down 15 boards and hit for 12 points. Jeremy Sureo (Providence, Rhode Island) led the mustangs with 23 points followed by Breyon Graves (Baltimore, Maryland) with 18 points and Raymond Monroe (Cranston, Rhode Island) added 15 points and dished out 8 assists. Charles Correa led the Bulldogs with 22 points and added 13 assists. The mustangs fall to 4-2 overall.

CM hosts their first conference foe of the young season Tuesday night at 8pm in Kirk Hall. This is a special night at they will be raising the 2014 Yankee Conference banner and welcoming back the 2014 squad to be recognized.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:27 am

Cummings makes his mark

So instead of accepting a football scholarship to the University of Rhode Island, he chose basketball at Central Maine Community College. It was one of the toughest choices he’d made in his life, but he’s convinced it was a right one. “I wanted to challenge myself and be independent,” Cummings said. “When I knew I had this opportunity, it excited me. I never looked back from that decision.” Cummings is thankful for the people that supported him and for the community that embraced him. In his first season at CMCC, he was a starter and averaged 11.4 points and 6.8 rebounds...

Read more: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... rk/1615538
NOTE: Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:28 am

CMCC preview:

CMCC Men's Basketball
Last year’s record : 31-3, lost in USCAA DII quarterfinals

Returning players: So F Kazre Cummings (11.4 ppg, 6.8 rpg), So G Carrington Miller (8.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg), So G Xavier Colbert (7.5 ppg, 3.3 rpg), So. F Robbie Babb (1.7 ppg), So. G Josh Thomas (2.4 ppg), Jr. G Chris Semedo (4.8 ppg), So G Ray Monroe (4.1 ppg), Jr. G Preston Isner (3.3 ppg)

Promising newcomers: Fr. F Howie Stone, Fr. F Brevin Graves, Fr. G Jeremy Suero.

Overview: Matching what the Mustangs did last year will be a tall order, especially with Cummings being the only returning starter.

Read more: http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... rk/1615538
NOTE: Sun Journal - allows 10 free reads per month for non-subscribers.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:19 am

CM men 102 Vermont Tech 99

Carrington Miller (Bingham, Maine) recorded his third double double of the year today as the Mustangs remain undefeated in the Yankee Conference play with a 102-99 overtime win against Vermont Technical College in a game played at CM in Auburn. CM jumped out early commanding a double digit lead throughout most of the first half. The halftime score held at 53-44 mustangs. Five different mustangs hit for double figures. Miller led all scorers with 28 points (10 rebounds) followed by Jeremy Suero (Providence, Rhode Island) and Preston Isner (Bealeton, Virginia) each contributed 19 points. Breyon Graves (Baltimore, Maryland) added 13 points and Xavier Colbert (Manassas, Virginia) chipped in with 10 points.

Colbert and Isner also played well on the defensive end holding down Vermont’s Jamal Hughes to 30 points. Hughes is one of the league’s most explosive players. Kazre Cummings (Providence, Rhode Island) held the defensive squad together collecting 11 rebounds and on the offensive end added 8 assists. CM improves its overall record to 7-3 and 3-0 in the Yankee Conference. The mustangs host the Auburn Police All-stars in a charity game Tuesday (7pm) and rival NHTI visits Auburn Thursday (8pm) in a continuation of the rivalry.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:46 am

NHTI nips CM in overtime

In a back in forth matchup, NHTI held on to defeat the mustangs 124-120 in Auburn. A Xavier Colbert (Manassas, Virginia) tipped in a missing free throw with 2.9 seconds on the clock to send the game to overtime. Both teams traded baskets before the Lynx jumped up by four points and held that lead to the buzzer.

Carrington Miller ( Bingham, Maine) knocked out his forth double double of the season hitting for 29 points and hauling down 15 rebounds. Xavier Colbert also banged out a double double hitting for 30 points and securing 10 rebounds. Jeremy Suero (Providence, Rhode Island) added 22 points.

http://www.cmmustangs.com/sports/mbkb/2 ... 0_w9uf.xml
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)