Husson Softball:

Post info or Comments: NCAA D3, NAIA, USCAA

Re: Husson Softball:

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:52 am

Bangor, ME - The Husson University softball team clinched its seventh consecutive North Atlantic Conference regular season title with a doubleheader sweep of the Thomas College Terriers on Senior Day at O'Keefe Field.

Husson improves to 23-9 for the season (11-2 NAC) with the wins, and they also earned the right to host this year's NAC playoff tournament which will start next Friday, May 2. Thomas falls to 12-14-1 with the losses (5-6-1 NAC).

Husson coach Kristie Hawkins and the rest of the team honored the club's two seniors, Amanda Ryan (Brewer, ME) and Christine Connors (Brookline, NH) in a ceremony between games. Those two would each make considerable contributions in the day's games.

Pitching and defense were the main keys for the Eagles in the two contests, as Ryan (Brewer, ME) and Kayla Merrill (Bethel, ME) combined to give up just one run and 12 hits on the day.

Game 1: Husson 5, Thomas 1

Senior right-hander Amanda Ryan was in control of game one for Husson from the get-go, retiring the first six batters she faced. She would pick up her ninth win of the season, throwing a complete game four-hitter with five strikeouts and one walk while allowing an earned run.

The Eagles got all the offense they would need in the second inning, as they put together three runs on four hits.

Casey Lopes (New Bedford, MA) started the frame off with a single, and she would come in to score two batters later when Haley Spiers (Rochester, NH) brought her home with a double. Spiers would move to third on a base-hit by Sarah Babin (Brewer, ME), and eventually come home on an RBI single by Nicole Andrade (New Bedford, MA). Babin would make it 3-0 when she scored on a fielder's choice by Kayla Merrill to give Husson a comfortable advantage that they would not relinquish.

The Eagles added some insurance runs in later innings, as Sami Schultz (Hermon, ME) knocked an RBI double that plated Breanna Martin (Oxford, ME) in the fifth and Connors roped a pinch-hit single and scored an unearned run in the sixth.

Taylor Bergeron led the Terriers with two hits and a run scored in game one.

Game 2: Husson 5, Thomas 0

Dominant pitching would be the story again in game two for the Eagles, as Kayla Merrill notched her 11th victory of the season with a shutout. She scattered eight hits over seven innings, striking out four and walking none. Merrill also tallied the 100th strikeout of her career at Husson with a fifth inning K.

The Eagles used some small-ball to manufacture a run in the first inning, as Kayla Merrill led off with a walk, got moved to second on an Allie Hill (Calais, ME) sacrifice bunt, advanced to third on a groundout by Lyndsay Merrill (Bethel, ME), and came home on a Martin RBI single.

Husson would squander an opportunity by leaving the bases loaded in the second, but they would increase their lead in the third when Chelsea Brennan (Woonsocket, RI) cracked a two-run home run to center field to make it 3-0.

The Eagles would add a tally in the fourth when Hill chased Spiers home with a run-scoring single, and they would get one in the sixth as well when Connors rocked a pinch-hit solo homer to make it 5-0.

Ashlee Quirrion paced Thomas with a pair of singles in game two.

"This was just what we needed to end conference play and send us into playoffs," Hawkins said after the game.

"The pitchers came out strong and combined with the defense for two very solid games. We're anxious for the playoffs and we hope to see some great wins like the ones today," she added.

The Eagles now have a full week to prepare for an upcoming playoff run. They will look to make it a six-peat, as they have won each of the last five NAC championships.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:16 am

Husson Softball Finishes Regular Season With Two More Wins

Johnson, VT - The Husson University softball team closed out its regular season schedule on Tuesday with a doubleheader sweep at Johnson State.

Game one was re-started from April 13 when a game had to be halted due to weather in what was originally a home game for Husson, but the Eagles came out swinging on the road as they went on to a 23-0 win over the Badgers. Husson would carry the heavy offense into game two as well, coming out with a 17-1 victory.

Game 1: Husson 23, Johnson 0 (5 innings)

Husson received a potent mix of pitching and hitting in game one, as Kayla Merrill (Bethel, ME) threw a one-hitter to pick up her 12th victory of the season. She struck out two batters and walked none in the five innings, while also helping her own cause by going 4-for-4 with six RBI at the plate including a three-run home run, her seventh of the season.

Five other Eagles had multiple hits in the rout, led by Chelsea Brennan (Woonsocket, RI) who was 3-for-3 with three RBI and three runs scored. Casey Lopes (New Bedford, MA) added a 3-for-4 line with two runs and two RBI, while Lyndsay Merrill (Bethel, ME), Jess Poulin (Albion, ME) and Haley Spiers (Rochester, NH) all contributed two hits apiece.

Kelsey Taylor had the lone hit for the Badgers in game one.

Game 2: Husson 17, Johnson 1 (5 innings)

Game two brought much of the same offensive onslaught from the Eagles, led by homers from both Merrill sisters and Lopes. Husson now has 27 homers in 34 games as a team this season.

Kayla Merrill went 4-for-4 again with five RBI and three runs scored, Lyndsay Merrill went 2-for-4 with three RBI and three runs, and Lopes was 2-for-2 with four RBI and two runs for the Eagles.

Alannah Healy (Brockton, MA) picked up the win in game two for Husson, giving up one earned run on just two hits in the five inning game. She struck out one batter and walked three as she collected her fourth win of the year.

Kristy Mcdonnell and Sarah Voorhis each had a hit for Johnson, with Mcdonnell driving in Voorhis for the Badgers' only run of the day.

"Considering the circumstances, it was great to see the girls come out strong and played hard on defense and offense," Husson coach Kristie Hawkins said after the games.

"We came out early and held the lead in both games. People stepped up in big ways and it was the little things today that showed us we are ready for playoffs."

Husson bettered their record to 25-9 for the season, and they now look forward to hosting the North Atlantic Conference playoffs. The Eagles earned the right to host by posting a 12-2 NAC regular season record, and they will be on the hunt for their sixth consecutive conference championship.

Johnson State falls to 6-21 with the losses, and 5-9 in the NAC but they will still qualify in the sixth and final spot in the tournament.

Husson and Johnson will meet again on Friday in game one of the NAC tourney, which is set to kick off at 10 a.m.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 03, 2014 6:54 am

NAC Softball Championship Day 1: Husson Advances

Bangor, ME – Top-seeded Husson University softball earned the right to host the 2014 NAC Softball Championships from Friday, May 2 to Sunday, May 4. The tournament was set in a six team double elimination format, and Husson kicked off the day with a 10 AM game on Friday against the sixth seeded Johnson State Badgers.

Game 1: Husson 8, Johnson State 0 (5 Innings)

Johnson held Husson to two scoreless innings before the Eagles took a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the third. Haley Spiers (Rochester, NH) and Sami Schultz (Hermon, ME) scored off a Kayla Merrill (Bethel, ME), recently named North Atlantic Conference Player of the Year, triple.

Merrill struck again in the fifth inning with a three-run homerun that put Husson ahead 5-0. She drove Mallory Conary (Warren, ME) and Spiers home. A Casey Lopes (New Bedford, MA), 2014 NAC Rookie of the Year, double extended Husson's lead to 6-0 in the fifth, as she drove Lyndsay Merrill (Bethel, ME) in for a score. A single from Jess Poulin (Albion, ME) ended the game with two RBI, sending Lopes and Breanna Martin (Oxford, ME) home for the win.

Amanda Ryan (Brewer, ME) gave up just one hit while pitching a complete five inning game for Husson. Her record improves to 10-6 on the year.

Andrea Williams pitched 4.1 innings for Johnson in the loss and gave up nine hits and eight runs. Alex Bean led the Badgers' offense with one hit.

Eagles head coach Kristie Hawkins said, "the girls came out hard today with defense and we made the correction to get the bats going. We were strong on the mound and that set the tone for the game. I think the big key here was the team being loud, which carried into every inning and the final out. It was a good start to the tournament, and we're hoping to keep this going throughout the weekend."

Husson will face the loser of the #3 Farmington vs. #4 Thomas game at 10 AM on Saturday, while Johnson will face the loser of the #2 Castleton vs. #5 Lyndon State game at 4 PM on Friday.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 03, 2014 6:55 am

Merrill Sisters, Lopes, and Ryan Named in Conference Awards

Whitingham, VT – Husson softball Junior Kayla Merrill (Bethel, ME) has been named the 2014 North Atlantic Conference Player of the Year, while first year catcher Casey Lopes (New Bedford, MA) grabbed Rookie of the Year Honors. Shortstop Lyndsay Merrill (Bethel, ME) and Pitcher Amanda Ryan (Brewer, ME) received Second Team All-Conference Honors.

Kayla Merrill ranked among the league's best in most offensive categories, including a league-high five homeruns, 22 runs scored, and six stolen bases. In addition to her prowess at the plate, she also twirled three shutouts in the circle and struck out 30 batters in 40 innings pitched against conference opponents.

Husson first year catcher Casey Lopes was honored as the conference Rookie of the Year after leading the league in doubles and posting a .406 batting average in her first season.

Sophomore shortstop Lyndsay Merrill scored 14 runs, and batted in 13 runs, while hitting 2 doubles, 2 triples and 3 homeruns. Merrill had an .259 on base percentage and a .529 slugging percentage.

Senior pitcher Amanda Ryan was an impressive 5-1 in six complete games against conference opponents with a 1.12 ERA against NAC batters.

Click here to read the complete NAC release!

2014 NAC Softball All-Conference Teams
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun May 04, 2014 5:04 am

Day Two Of The 2014 NAC Softball Tournament From Husson

Bangor, ME – Top-seeded Husson University softball earned the right to host the 2014 NAC Softball Championships from Friday, May 2 to Sunday, May 4. The tournament is set in a six team double elimination format, and Husson kicked off day two with a 10 AM game on Saturday against the Beavers of UMaine Farmington.

Game 5: Husson 7, UMaine Farmington 2

In the bottom half of the first Husson put the first tally on the board. With two outs, Lyndsey Merrill doubled down the left field line and scored a play later when Breanna Martin reached on a throwing error. Merrill had already advanced to third and scored on the errant throw.

Farmington fought back in the top of the second, threatening with bases loaded and no one out. Hannah Lust, Kennadi Grover and Meryl Bond all singled before Husson could record an out. Head coach of the Eagles Kristie Hawkins came out to talk to pitcher Amanda Ryan, leading to a big strikeout in the next at bat of Alison Hamilton. The Beavers managed the knot the score as Ryan induced a groundout of Jillian Withee in the next at-bat, scoring Devin Fitzgerald. Ryan battled out of the big time jam nicely, getting Shelby Bryant to pop up for the third out.

Husson untied the 1-1 score in the bottom half of the third. Newly-named NAC pitcher of the year Emily Soule retired Kayla Merrill and Allie Hill for the first two outs before Lyndsey Merrill hit yet another extra-base hit. Merrill tripled this time, setting herself up to score later on a Martin single to short.

The Beavers were held scoreless in the top of the fourth with help from a fantastic play at short by Jessica Poulin. Poulin ranged to her left, slid to collect the ground ball with the backhand and fired to first on one knee to keep Farmington off the bases.

In the bottom half of the fourth frame, Husson pushed across three more runs. Sami Shultz homered for the first Eagle run, clearing the left field fence by several feet. Kayla Merrill joined the party again, singling with two outs to restart the Eagle rally. Merrill advanced to second on an Allie Hill walk, and promptly scored on a Lyndsey Merrill single. Merrill, through four, was a home run away from the cycle with an RBI and two runs scored.

Husson scored for the third consecutive inning in the fifth. Poulin singled, advanced on a passed ball and scored on a Schultz double. The Eagles pushed their lead after five full to 6-1.

The Beavers battled back and threatened in the sixth but stranded two in scoring position. Hannah Lust singled and Bond doubled to left, but Ryan struck out pinch hitter Haley Berry and got Withee to fly out to center for the third out.

Lydnsey Merrill offered up her bid for the cycle in the sixth, driving a ball to deep right center. Merrill rounded second easily and looked to possibly score the inside-the-parker, but held at third. Merrill and the Eagles scored their seventh run off the bat of Casey Lopes who singled through the left side to plate Merrill.

Farmington added a run in the seventh after putting two aboard at first and second. Bryant singled and Amy Jones reached on a error. Katie Clark also reached on an error in the next at-bat to score Bryant to make it 7-2. The Beavers continued to threaten, but Ryan held them to the 7-2 make to pick up the win.

Ryan gave up eight hits and an earned run in her seven complete innings while striking out six. Soule for UMF went six innings while giving up five earned on 13 hits and a walk with a strikeout.

With the win, Husson will play at 4:00pm Saturday afternoon while Farmington is eliminated from the NAC tournament.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun May 04, 2014 5:10 am

Day 2 of the 2014 NAC Softball Tournament: Castleton, Husson, Lyndon State Advance

Bangor, ME – Top-seeded Husson University softball earned the right to host the 2014 NAC Softball Championships from Friday, May 2 to Sunday, May 4. The tournament is set in a six team double elimination format, and Husson kicked off day two with a 10 AM game on Saturday against the Beavers of UMaine Farmington.

Game 5: Husson 7, UMaine Farmington 2

In the bottom half of the first Husson put the first tally on the board. With two outs, Lyndsay Merrill doubled down the left field line and scored a play later when Breanna Martin reached on a throwing error. Merrill had already advanced to third and scored on the errant throw.

Farmington fought back in the top of the second, threatening with bases loaded and no one out. Hannah Lust, Kennadi Grover and Meryl Bond all singled before Husson could record an out. Head coach of the Eagles Kristie Hawkins came out to talk to pitcher Amanda Ryan, leading to a big strikeout in the next at bat of Alison Hamilton. The Beavers managed the knot the score as Ryan induced a groundout of Jillian Withee in the next at-bat, scoring Devin Fitzgerald. Ryan battled out of the big time jam nicely, getting Shelby Bryant to pop up for the third out.

Husson untied the 1-1 score in the bottom half of the third. Newly-named NAC pitcher of the year Emily Soule retired Kayla Merrill and Allie Hill for the first two outs before Lyndsay Merrill hit yet another extra-base hit. Merrill tripled this time, setting herself up to score later on a Martin single to short.

The Beavers were held scoreless in the top of the fourth with help from a fantastic play at short by Jess Poulin. Poulin ranged to her left, slid to collect the ground ball with the backhand and fired to first on one knee to keep Farmington off the bases.

In the bottom half of the fourth frame, Husson pushed across three more runs. Sami Schultz homered for the first Eagle run, clearing the left field fence by several feet. Kayla Merrill joined the party again, singling with two outs to restart the Eagle rally. Merrill advanced to second on an Allie Hill walk, and promptly scored on a Lyndsay Merrill single. Merrill, through four, was a home run away from the cycle with an RBI and two runs scored.

Husson scored for the third consecutive inning in the fifth. Poulin singled, advanced on a passed ball and scored on a Schultz double. The Eagles pushed their lead after five full to 6-1.

The Beavers battled back and threatened in the sixth but stranded two in scoring position. Hannah Lust singled and Bond doubled to left, but Ryan struck out pinch hitter Haley Berry and got Withee to fly out to center for the third out.

Lydnsay Merrill offered up her bid for the cycle in the sixth, driving a ball to deep right center. Merrill rounded second easily and looked to possibly score the inside-the-parker, but held at third. Merrill and the Eagles scored their seventh run off the bat of Casey Lopes who singled through the left side to plate Merrill.

Farmington added a run in the seventh after putting two aboard at first and second. Bryant singled and Amy Jones reached on a error. Katie Clark also reached on an error in the next at-bat to score Bryant to make it 7-2. The Beavers continued to threaten, but Ryan held them to the 7-2 make to pick up the win.

Ryan gave up eight hits and an earned run in her seven complete innings while striking out six. Soule for UMF went six innings while giving up five earned on 13 hits and a walk with a strikeout.

"The girls wanted this game today and came out and showed everyone just that," said head coach Kristie Hawkins after the game. "They had something to prove and that motivation is what led us through the game. We were fired up and revenge is what we wanted. We couldn't be more proud that they came out strong and stayed hot the whole game. Good things come from games like this and the motivation and fire is what will lead us through this tournament."

With the win, Husson will play at 4:00pm Saturday afternoon while Farmington is eliminated from the NAC tournament.

Game 6: Castleton 9, Thomas 2

Castleton picked up three runs to begin the top of the first of game two. Tori Fearon doubled to left and scored in the next at-bat on a Jessica Babcock single. Brittany Brayman and Babcock scored after a single for Brayman up the middle of her own followed by a Chelsea Grady 2RBI single.

The visiting Spartans, by way of being the home team and Thomas being the away team in their games Friday, scored solo runs again in the second and third. With two outs in the second, Kristi Lawless reached on an error by the shortstop. Fearon stepped in and scorched one down the left field line that got passed the left fielder Taylor Bergeron. Fearon was credited with a single and both she and Lawless were given two bases on the error.

With the score 4-0 in the top of the third, Castleton struck yet again. Stephanie Sylvester singled to short and scored on a Grady double to left center to make it 5-0.

Thomas plated two in the bottom of the fourth to cut the Spartan lead to three. Courtney Veilleux led off with a walk and advanced a base when Lauren Hachey reached on an error. Kelsey Crowe singled to score Veilleux and advance Hachey to second. Hachey scored moments later for the second Thomas run on a Nicole Ryder single, yet again right up the middle.

The Spartans grabbed another run in the top of the fifth on a triple by Babcock. Sylvester batted Babcock in with one out, grounding out to second to first.

Castleton poured on more in the top of the sixth, scoring runs from Ruby Bushey, Veronica Arnone, and Kristi Lawless on four hits and a Thomas error. The Spartans left the bases loaded with a 9-2 lead.

The Terriers led off the bottom of the seventh, down seven, with a 3-2 walk by right fielder Kate Thibodeau. Chelsea Hale pinch hit for Ashlee Quirrion and struck out looking, followed by a pinch-hit single by Gabrielle Martell. Hachey singled to left to load the bases with two outs, but Arnone struck out Taylor Jordan to pick up the save and the win.

With the loss, Thomas has to turn around and immediately play Lyndon in an elimination game at approximately 3:00pm today. With the win, Castleton will play Husson in a matchup of unbeatens in the final game of day two in Bangor.

Game 7: Lyndon State 8, Thomas 0 (5 innings)

The Lyndon Hornets put up a seven spot on the Terriers in the bottom of the first, en route to an 8-0 elimination game win in five innings. Katie Davis picked up the win for the Hornets, allowing just four hits in five while striking out one.

Kelsey Crowe allowed all eight runs (five earned) on nine hits and a walk while fanning three. Taylor Jordan pitched the final inning and a third for Thomas with zero's across the board.

The Hornets managed four scoring plays in that first inning. Shelby Sheridan and Dakota Crane scored the first two on a Jena Finnegan triple to right center. Pitcher Davis singled through the right side to score Finnegan moments later and Katie Ste. Marie single to right as well, scoring Taylor Young and Davis. Lyndon made it 7-0 with some Thomas help. Shelby Sheridan singled to left and advanced to second, Barski moved to second and then scored along with Ste. Marie on a tough error.

Lyndon tacked on their eighth run, good enough to activate the eight-run mercy rule, in the third on as Finnegan stole second allowing Crane to steal home.

For the Terriers, Courtney Veilleux led the charge with two of their four hits. Korrie Laren and Faith Robinson rounded out the hit category, respectively.

Finnegan and Ste. Marie each had two RBI for Lyndon, while Taylor Young went 2-3 with a run scored.

Lyndon shut out Thomas in the final two innings and took the win to advance to Championship Sunday.

Game 8: Castleton 5, Husson 1

In the top of the first Tori Fearon single to right with one out and advanced to third on a Jessica Bobcock double to left. Brittany Brayman struck out swinging for the second out, but Stephanie Sylvester lined one up the middle to score the two base runners for a 2-0 lead after one.

Castleton made it 4-0 in the second on a two-run bomb by Ruby Bushey. Kayla Wood walked the play before and scored on the homer by the right fielder. Kayla Merrill took to the pitching circle for Husson after the four-bagger, and got Kristi Lawless to ground out and Babcock to line into a double play at second. Lyndsay Merrill made a nice play to snag the line drive and flip to first for the final two outs.

The Eagles put their first offensive bid forward in the top of the third. Haley Spiers led off with a line out to right that looked certain to fall for hit off the bat. Mallory Conary single to left with one out and Kayla Merrill popped up to short for the second. Allie Hill then tripled to left center, scoring Conary. The safe call of Hill at third didn't come without controversy as the throw from left beat Hill easily, but the tag didn't however.

Brayman and Katie Gagne put charges into balls for Castleton in the bottom half of the inning. Brayman's went all the way to the wall in left and Gagne's took Conary to her final step of the warning track in center for the final out.

Both teams were scoreless until the bottom of the fifth, when Babcock doubled down the right field line. Lyndsay Merrill bobbled a grounder at second from Brayman allowing her to reach and Babcock to score on the late throw to first. Chelsea Grady stepped in and hit a fly ball to Haley Spiers in left for the second out. Spiers threw an absolute pea to the plate to cut down Brayman at home for the third out.

With a slight bit of momentum, the Eagles couldn't do anything with a couple on in the sixth and a runner on in the seventh.

"Castleton came out hard today and, although it puts us in a tougher spot, we're not out of this by any means," said Husson head coach Kristie Hawkins. "This loss lights a fire for our players and motivates us to get after it tomorrow. We're going to take it one pitch and one game at a time and put forward our best effort. I have all the confidence in the world in this group, and I'm excited to see what they'll bring tomorrow."

Castleton moves to a definite spot in the championship Sunday afternoon. Husson will play Lyndon at 10:00am in an elimination game, and the winner will have to beat the Spartans twice in a row for the NAC crown.

Day 3 Match-Ups:
Game 9, 10 AM: Husson vs. Lyndon State
Game 10, 12 PM: Castleton vs. Winner of Game 9
Game 11, 2 PM (if necessary): Castleton vs. Winner of Game 9
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri May 09, 2014 8:12 am

Merrill sisters have been catalysts for NCAA Tournament-bound Husson softball team
By Larry Mahoney

Junior pitcher-third baseman Kayla Merrill and sophomore second baseman Lyndsay Merrill have led the Eagles to a 30-10 record and a berth in the four-team, double-elimination NCAA Division III Regional at Kean University (N.J.) beginning Friday.

Third seed Husson, six-time North Atlantic Conference champs, will take on No. 2 seed Kean (32-11) at 3:30 p.m. The Merrills, who led Telstar High School in their native Bethel to consecutive state Class C championships in 2010-11, are softball junkies. “They’re extremely passionate about softball. They work really hard in and out of season and it shows,” said Husson coach Kristie Hawkins...

Read more: http://bangordailynews.com/slideshow/me ... ball-team/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat May 10, 2014 6:01 am

Eagles Fall to Kean in NCAA D3 Regional Tournament

Union, NJ – North Atlantic Conference Champion Husson softball fell to No. 19 Kean University 8-0 in five innings on Friday, in the NCAA Division III Regional Tournament.
Eagle Breanna Martin (Oxford, ME) was the first base runner of the day and worked a leadoff walk in the second inning for Husson, but Kean would retire the next three Eagles in order.

The Cougars got their first hit on an infield single by Kelly Moorehead, and Tiffany Varriello followed that up by sneaking a line drive down the left field line. Kean had runners at the corners with one out but Husson's Amanda Ryan (Brewer, ME) pitched out of the jam to keep the game scoreless through two.

Leadoff hitter Megan Cegielski got a Kean rally going in the third with a walk. Emily Sabo singled to put runners on the corners with one out. Sandra Binkiewicz placed an RBI double over the right fielder's head to give the Cougars the first run of the game.

Moorehead followed that up with her second base hit of the game; a ringing RBI double to the wall in left-center. Yard helped her own cause with an RBI base hit that made the score 3-0 in favor of the hosts.

The Cougars added 5 more run in the bottom of the 4th make the score 8-0.

With two outs in the fifth, down to their final strike, Chelsea Brennan (Woonsocket, RI) lifted a single over the second baseman to break up the no-hitter. But the Eagle offensive could not produce any comeback efforts.

Kean will play Saturday at 11 a.m. in the winner's bracket championship game against Lebanon Valley College.

Husson will stage an elimination game against Keene State College at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon May 12, 2014 5:45 am

Softball Plays On in NCAAs with 1-0 Win over Keene State

Union, NJ – After working through a 20-hour rain delay, the Husson University softball team topped Keene State College 1-0 in an elimination game at the 2014 NCAA Division III Softball Championship Union Regional on Sunday.

Both teams were scoreless through the first three innings on Saturday, with Keene State's Mariah Crisp throwing a perfect game in the first three innings. But then rain descended on Cougar Field and did not allow any more innings to be completed on Saturday.

After the rain delay, the game resumed on Sunday morning. Husson got its first baserunner when Allie Hill (Calais, ME) walked and stole second. But neither side scored in the opening (4th) inning on Sunday.

Both Crisp and Husson's hurler Kayla Merrill (Bethel, ME) were on point, firing zeroes until the seventh inning.

In the final frame, Breanna Martin (Oxford, ME) led off for the Eagles with a booming double to right field. Casey Lopes (New Bedford, MA) moved the pinch runner, Sarah Babin (Brewer, ME), to third, and Jess Poulin (Albion, ME) came through with a clutch single – the only RBI of the game – to give Merrill the only support she would need.

Merrill struck out seven Owls and scattered six hits to earn the shutout victory.

Husson will play again at 11:30 a.m. against Lebanon Valley College for the right to advance to the Championship series.

Keene State has been eliminated from the NCAA Championship and ends its season with a 19-19 record.
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon May 12, 2014 5:46 am

Husson Softball's Season Ends in NCAA Championships

Union, NJ – Top-seeded Lebanon Valley College used a three-run sixth inning outburst to come from behind and eliminate third seed Husson University 3-1 in the Union Regional of the 2014 NCAA Division III Championship on Sunday.

Haley Neff earned the win in the circle for Lebanon Valley.

Allie Hartman singled to lead of the second inning for LVC, and got to third with two outs. Neff lined a hard-hit ball up the middle but pitcher Kayla Merrill (Bethel, ME) reached up to grab the liner and save a run for the Eagles.

Husson stranded two runners in scoring position in the third; Jess Poulin (Albion, ME) made a good play on a tricky bounce to end the frame for the Eagles.

In the fourth inning, Husson strung together back-to-back-to-back singles by Lyndsay Merrill (Bethel, ME), Breanna Martin (Oxford, ME) and Casey Lopes (New Bedford, ME) to push across the first run of the game. K. Merrill came back out and worked a 1-2-3 inning to keep the momentum with the Eagles.

Down to their final five outs of the season, Dutchmen Sam Derr and Allie Hartmann stroked back-to-back doubles to the same spot on the right-centerfield wall to tie the game.

Then with two outs, Katie Deardorff pounded a go-ahead two-run homerun – the first of the senior's career in 455 at-bats - into the rightfield bleachers, giving LVC a 3-1 lead.

There was a ton of drama in the bottom of the seventh. Lopes and Poulin singled to start the frame and an error loaded the bases for Husson with one out.

The Dutchmen went to the bullpen, summoning ace Derr. The senior lefty got the next two batters without allowing a run to save the season for the Dutchmen.

Lebanon Valley will play again at 2:00 p.m. against Kean University for the right to advance to the NCAA Super Regionals series. They will need to defeat the Cougars twice to advance

Husson has been eliminated from the NCAA Championship and ends its season with a 31-12 record. Click here to see the postgame interview with K. Merrill, Martin, and Poulin: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qwqm_oqAWZU .
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Maine Colleges (other than D1 UMaine)