Why the Secret UMaine???

Post info or Comments: UMaine Athletics

Why the Secret UMaine???

Postby thebam » Sat May 31, 2008 4:42 pm

WZON just broadcast a "fast break" featuring newly inducted (tomorrow) Maine Sports Hall of Famer Joanne McAllie... during this she said in plain English.. We have agreed to play Maine. They will come here and we will come to the Alfond (home and home). She lauded Blodgett.
At the end of the fastbreak.. " No comment from UMaine."

What is the big secret? This will obviously (won't it?) fill that building on that particular night. Umaine should be releasing this info.. not " no commenting" us.

What gives?
thebam

Re: Why the Secret UMaine???

Postby GoBlackBears » Sat May 31, 2008 6:10 pm

The game will be close for a couple minutes. The arena will at least be full for a change.
GoBlackBears

Postby billzfan34 » Sat May 31, 2008 6:36 pm

Plenty of time to announce. Like a few weeks before it happens.Why do it now and have everyone forget?
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Postby bainsey » Sat May 31, 2008 11:01 pm

Hmmm, did Joanne say that a Duke/Maine matchup will happen THIS year? Or will the home/home agreement start next year?

Until this team is one of the stronger ones in America East, I wouldn't consider a game with Duke.
bainsey

Postby thebam » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:21 am

She did not specify exactly when but said there was an agreement to play . Just seemed odd to me that UMaine wouldn't confirm it? Umaine could have a big announcement when the dates are firmed up?
Duke's website only shows Middle Tennessee St. (i think) for next year so it may be locked in for UMaine but maybe no date?

Seems to me, as far as women's hoops go.. this is pretty huge??? yes/no?
thebam

Postby SeaDogsFan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:48 am

It's kinda like when Husson tried to blow off the school newspaper reporters on the whole "Husson University" story, saying they didn't want the story made public until the fall. It's news now, it's getting reported now.

And I'm sure Solari has known for a while this was coming up - I honestly believe at times he knows more about UMaine sports than Blake James. Didn't he also break the story on the Blodgett hiring?

Jeff Solari for AD!
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Postby mainejeff » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:25 pm

SeaDogsFan wrote:And I'm sure Solari has known for a while this was coming up - I honestly believe at times he knows more about UMaine sports than Blake James. Didn't he also break the story on the Blodgett hiring?

No doubt (as does half of the state).

As far as the Duke women's game goes......I'd love to see the match-up, but I have my doubts whether it will ever happen. Personally, I'd like to see them delay it for a couple of years and play the home game at the new Bangor Arena around 2010-2011.

On a side note.....former UMaine AD Kevin White was recently named the new AD at Duke.
mainejeff

Postby aechamps » Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:16 am

Mainejeff thought I would throw this out. Does not pertain to the above.The three candidates that were interested in the mens basketball program in getting hired when G. left were: Steve Demeo,(providence head ass.) Fred Hill(rutgers headcoach) and Bill Coen(northeastern headcoach). Fred Hill was an ass. at Maine from 88-91 with Rudy Kelling. Food for thought. It came across in an old Andy Katz article.
aechamps

Postby mainejeff » Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:21 pm

aechamps wrote:Mainejeff thought I would throw this out. Does not pertain to the above.The three candidates that were interested in the mens basketball program in getting hired when G. left were: Steve Demeo,(providence head ass.) Fred Hill(rutgers headcoach) and Bill Coen(northeastern headcoach). Fred Hill was an ass. at Maine from 88-91 with Rudy Kelling. Food for thought. It came across in an old Andy Katz article.

Remember when Calipari was one of the candidates for the men's job that eventually went to Keeling? There's no doubt in my mind that Maine would have won more with him as coach, but they also most likely would have been sanctioned by the NCAA for rules violations.

aechamps.......How do you feel about the rumored Duke game?
mainejeff

Postby mbr2 » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 pm

Bill Coen would have been a great hire.
mbr2

Next

Return to UMaine D1 Athletics