Promises. Promises at UM ??

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Promises. Promises at UM ??

Postby TLukas » Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 am

http://bangornews.com/news/t/sports.aspx?articleid=164897&zoneid=23

Well I guess the field hockey and football teams can be assured of fulfilling their promises to past and future recruits for new fields and/or playing surfaces, but for baseball (the least expensive of the projects !!!!!), ...... still looks kind of suspect apparently. Wonder where all the money for the field hockey field came from (way more expensive than originally proposed/thought ?), but now there isn't enough for the baseball turf ?

Pretty fitting end to King James tenure if anything happens to this now long-standing but as yet unfulfilled commitment ! (PLEASE !!!)
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Re: Promises. Promises at UM ??

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 28, 2008 12:13 pm

Does this surprise you or anyone else? They are practically begging people for money over at the athletic website. I'm telling you right now......the cuts are coming. And hopefully, the reign of King James is near its end.
mainejeff

Postby bainsey » Wed May 28, 2008 12:16 pm

I'm not getting your beef here, TL.

Football and field hockey have to come first right now. Their seasons start in three months. Baseball just ended. Besides, the turf that football will use (a thankful change) isn't very condusive to field hockey, so a new field is warranted. The Astroturf that came with the "new" stadium was really a compromise between football and field hockey programs.

Besides, it's a nice touch by UM to provide webcams of the contruction. Here's a link:
http://www.umaine.edu/ofm/
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 28, 2008 12:33 pm

bainsey wrote:I'm not getting your beef here, TL.

Football and field hockey have to come first right now. Their seasons start in three months. Baseball just ended. Besides, the turf that football will use (a thankful change) isn't very condusive to field hockey, so a new field is warranted. The Astroturf that came with the "new" stadium was really a compromise between football and field hockey programs.

Besides, it's a nice touch by UM to provide webcams of the contruction. Here's a link:
http://www.umaine.edu/ofm/

Agreed bainsey about prioritizing.

And by the way.......maybe it was because the cameras were just set up.......but why isn't there a link at the athletic website??? Once again.....they are right on the ball. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Also, those are SWEET tennis courts! Can't believe that the tennis complex is so nice! :o But alas, enjoy them before next winter......because they will never look the same once the Facilities Management snow plows destroy them. :(
mainejeff

Postby bainsey » Wed May 28, 2008 2:31 pm

mainejeff wrote: but why isn't there a link at the athletic website??? (

There is! The one I provided was direct.
bainsey

Postby TLukas » Wed May 28, 2008 3:06 pm

My "Beef" is that all THREE of these projects should be going forward together, As Promised !! No reason whatsoever to single out and delay the baseball field work, unless .......? It is once again threatened with further delay and one more year of a hollow commitment to recruits and current players? ..... It was supposed to be done last summer (and the summer before ?).

It's really not about "priority" because of the season (and practice) start dates (at least they didn't come out with that smokescreen and mirrors explanation ! yet!). They ain't even working on the football field yet, so work on the darn baseball diamond instead if you're so sure it's all going forward this year anyway !!? Something real fishy here Boyz !

And baseball also has fall workouts and practice that start at or before school does, and there are also Fall baseball games that may not be "official" but are still very important and the players NEED to be on this new field ASAP and every minute possible BEFORE next year ! It is and should be every bit as much a "priority" as the others !

Yeah, I'm a bit cynical on this one at this point, be we've been getting the same lame excuses for a year or more now about why the "planned" field renovation hasn't gone forward (i.e. "had to all be done as one Project for cost purposes" ? - Now What ?). And the "obstacles" that I understand have been placed in the way of those who might seek to specifically solicit the last of the needed money for the baseball field from major donors who'd be interested (i.e., = DON'T !!, because "we" want to approach those donors for money for other projects (= ours!), so don't get in the way!??), doesn't sit real well with me either ! Good Thing Wins and Losses aren't important but at least our AD and his immediate staff are Great Fundraisers ! PHOOOOEY !!
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 28, 2008 3:34 pm

bainsey wrote:
mainejeff wrote: but why isn't there a link at the athletic website??? (

There is! The one I provided was direct.

I'm talking a link from http://www.goblackbears.com , not the Facilities Management page at the general UMaine website. People shouldn't need a treasure map to find the link. :roll: :roll: :roll:
mainejeff

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 28, 2008 3:40 pm

TLukas wrote:Yeah, I'm a bit cynical on this one at this point, be we've been getting the same lame excuses for a year or more now about why the "planned" field renovation hasn't gone forward (i.e. "had to all be done as one Project for cost purposes" ? - Now What ?). And the "obstacles" that I understand have been placed in the way of those who might seek to specifically solicit the last of the needed money for the baseball field from major donors who'd be interested (i.e., = DON'T !!, because "we" want to approach those donors for money for other projects (= ours!), so don't get in the way!??), doesn't sit real well with me either ! Good Thing Wins and Losses aren't important but at least our AD and his immediate staff are Great Fundraisers ! PHOOOOEY !!

It took you THIS long to get cynical about UMaine athletics??? ;) ........LOL.

Is King James STILL looking for big donors for the Memorial Gym Basketball Arena Half-Baked Dome Field House project?.......LOL. The poor guy KNOWS that it is his only way out of Orono.....LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol: Of course he could always use the other feathers in his cap.......like "I managed a D-1 athletic program that won 27% of its contests in 2007/2008"....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Bumbling Blake......he gets what he deserves!
mainejeff

Postby 23catch » Wed May 28, 2008 8:25 pm

Time to get the t-shirts made up as well as the billboards----Blame James--- :lol: Good stuff.

Tim, I'll believe it when I see it. You have now lived through a year of the stories. Remember where your son got his hitting pointers.
23catch

Postby bainsey » Wed May 28, 2008 11:35 pm

mainejeff wrote: I'm talking a link from http://www.goblackbears.com

So am I. Left side of the page, "CLICK HERE. The Maine facilities live web camera.

And TL, if you're going to put baseball on the same priority level as football, that's just wishful thinking. Baseball doesn't draw in a season what football does in a single game. (Okay, a September game.) Football has a far greater following, right down to televised games. There's a lot more bang-for-your-buck for football, which is why it's a priority.

The only reason field hockey is in this equation is to get football a better turf, and that can't be done without moving field hockey to a new location.

Is UM low on funds? Quite possibly. The price of gas sure isn''t helping their cause, or anyone else's, as school budgets all over are feeling the pinch. The buck is hard to come by, even in its weakened state. If that's the case, if football has to take precedence over baseball in its need for a new field, I can't say that bothers me.
bainsey

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics