Blake James

Post info or Comments: UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics

Blake James

Postby mainejeff » Sat May 24, 2008 2:47 am

He states in the PPH (and I'm paraphrasing) that won-loss records are not important and that there is no pressure to hire a new softball coach in a timely manner.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=189731&ac=PHspt

Is King James in la-la land or what? Is there ANY way that we alums can put pressure on higher ups to can this guy???
mainejeff

Re: Blake James

Postby billzfan34 » Sat May 24, 2008 1:15 pm

He did say it had to do with a change of direction,and if it wasn't from W's and L's,he must mean instead of going SOUTH to Florida,go WEST to Cali or Hawaii..lol!
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Postby mainejeff » Sat May 24, 2008 3:26 pm

We should judge Blake James by his fundraising efforts, program success, and admin/coach/athlete satisfaction.........how's he doing?
mainejeff

Postby bainsey » Sun May 25, 2008 8:53 am

"This isn't based on wins and losses," said James. "It wasn't based on the record. There's so many things that go into being a head coach. I looked at where we were at and felt like we needed to make a change."

Hmmm. While I'm certain that this was the right decision and in the best interest of UM, this statement sends a message about productivity.

Had Mr. James said that the record wasn't the only reason or factor for dismissal, then the message would be simple: victories indeed matter. By saying that the record played no factor in this decision, it sends the message that productivity is not expected from UM coaches.

While I'd like to think that UM would hire coaches who need little or no external motivation for success, it would be good to hear from the boss once in a while that he cares about success, too.
bainsey

Postby mainejeff » Sun May 25, 2008 11:42 am

bainsey wrote:"This isn't based on wins and losses," said James. "It wasn't based on the record. There's so many things that go into being a head coach. I looked at where we were at and felt like we needed to make a change."

Hmmm. While I'm certain that this was the right decision and in the best interest of UM, this statement sends a message about productivity.

Had Mr. James said that the record wasn't the only reason or factor for dismissal, then the message would be simple: victories indeed matter. By saying that the record played no factor in this decision, it sends the message that productivity is not expected from UM coaches.

While I'd like to think that UM would hire coaches who need little or no external motivation for success, it would be good to hear from the boss once in a while that he cares about success, too.

bainsey.......How do you feel about the hiring practices at UM? Doesn't it seem like since they stopped interviewing multiple candidates publicly that things have really gone down hill? (remember the press conferences that we used to see on the local news where we got to hear soundbites from each candidate?) And it used to be done in a much more timely manner. There is no doubt that they are waiting for the new fiscal year to hire someone, but by doing that it really hurts the program.......there is no continuity and I GUARANTEE that UM will lose most of their softball recruits for next season.

I just see no redeeming qualities in Blake James as an AD........and I'm not sure what it will take to pry him out of that position and send him packing.........??? :cry: :cry: :cry:
mainejeff

Postby bainsey » Sun May 25, 2008 7:11 pm

mainejeff wrote: [There is no doubt that they are waiting for the new fiscal year to hire someone, but by doing that it really hurts the program.......

The almighty dollar -- even in its weakened state -- has the final word. You know that. So, they don't hire until July 1? That's much closer than you think.

I remember thinking that the media interviewing each head coach candidate was a little much, but it made for a good story, and in hindsight, maybe it was a better move. Still, I don't think we'll see such a process for softball. Football, basketball (both teams), and men's hockey, maybe, but why should the university invest that much time for a sport that doesn't even charge admission?
bainsey

Postby xcoach30 » Wed May 28, 2008 11:17 am

bainsey wrote:
but why should the university invest that much time for a sport that doesn't even charge admission?

Maybe if the University showed they value the program a little bit by searching out the absolute best candidate, the recruits would be more willing to give UMaine the benefit of the doubt. I don't think it's just the removal of a coach that would cause recruits to look in another direction, I would hope there would be other factors, especially for a sport like softball--given all of the challenges the sport faces being played in Orono, ME. If the recruiting was well done, it would focus on the University as the right fit for the student, as well as the athlete. It would be nice to think that this step is the first of many in the right direction for the softball program. A true hiring process would hopefully address not only win-losses and build a successful program, but also address issues with alumni support and effective recruiting. It is true that wins and losses should be the focus of a D1 program (even a non-revenue sport), but in the end, it really isn't the number of wins and losses that should count--it's the education, both in the classroom and on the field or court, that the student receives en route to winning and losing that is important in the long run. Obviously, it's more fun to win, but you learn more from losing. That being said, this year's softball team must have learned A LOT. :lol: However. I want to win as much as anyone out there, and if we're going to spend the money on scholarships, travel, etc., let's bring in a coach who can get the job done. If that requires till October first I would support that--as long as the right person is hired.
xcoach30

Postby mainejeff » Wed May 28, 2008 12:27 pm

I don't think that they need until October to hire a quality softball coach, but other than that.....nice post!

I know that some people think that I hate the softball program, but I don't. Heck......I drove 2 hours to Chattanooga (when I was living in TN) during the 2007 season to see this team play a couple of games. I didn't see any other UMaine softball fans there (other than parents)........so if anyone questions my love and loyalty for this and all UMaine programs (including football).......they can stuff it! :geek:

That being said, some of these programs have or are hitting rock bottom......and this trend CAN'T continue.......UMaine athletics can't afford it to......literally. The longer that the current trend of scandals, players and coaches leaving programs, and LOSING continues........the more detached the casual fans and alums become.......which is sad, but understandable. The current regime doesn't seem to "get this". But they will........when UMaine hockey games are drawing 4,000 fans/game instead of 5,445.......oh, they will get it.

Until Blake James is gone......and our AD starts DEMANDING excellence in all areas of the athletic department........I'll sit back and watch from a distance (mentally and figuratively).
mainejeff

Postby TLukas » Wed May 28, 2008 3:36 pm

xcoach30 wrote:
If the recruiting was well done, it would focus on the University as the right fit for the student, as well as the athlete.
My understanding from a number of student-athletes is that UMaine tends to be a "Love It" or "Hate It" at first site call. It's a beautiful campus stuck in the middle of nowhere that's either perfect or terrible; the academic offerings and programs are generally on par or better in some disciplines as most other "mid-size", broad-based public D1 schools. There's really not much to focus on with regards to "fit"; if you gotta talk 'em into it, then it ain't ?

Obviously, it's more fun to win, but you learn more from losing.
Ah yes, One of those wonderfully cute but terribly wrong cliche statements made to make losers feel better. You learn something "different" when you lose, but you certainly don't learn more, and in many cases probably less ! You learn "more" from losing, and you're probably learning to be a good loser and very good at losing, individually and/or as a team ! I'll take the kid/team who Hates to lose, and presumably learns that about himself in one or two lessons, over the more learned regular loser ? Tongue in cheek there a bit folks! :-)

If that requires till October first I would support that--as long as the right person is hired.
And just blow off any serious planning and recruiting over the entire summer and pretty much the fall as well ? Tough luck for the current players who would like to know BEFORE August 15 who the new coach is ? Not very bright that approach (but perfect for BJ ?), and there is absolutely no reason a thorough search and selection could not have been, and therefore should be, completed by August 1 !! We are talking close to three months time, how the heck careful (versus foot-dragging) can you be ! The same candidates are out there now as will be 3 months from now !!

All those responses aside XC30, I do agree with the general philosophy of your posting, even if not all of the "details".
If you can't see it, you can't hit it ! And the sooner you see it, the better you'll hit it !!
TLukas

Postby SeaDogsFan » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:57 am

Blake james is merely campaigning for the Orono HS (or MS) AD job, if it ever opens up over the next few years.

Of course, he could expedite the process a bit and turn his current place of employment into UMHS.
"Brace yourself everyone. Here come the uneducated rants of fans that know what really happened but choose to revel in the obserdity" ~ ballerdad
SeaDogsFan

Next

Return to UMaine and other D1 Schools / Topics