Celtics 2014-15:

Any pro talk from around the leagues

Re: Celtics 2014-15:

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:01 am

Camp fires: All green lights for Thornton

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics guard Marcus Thornton was asked Tuesday about his favorite spots to score on the court. "Anywhere," said Thornton. "Put me anywhere out there, I feel I can score. If I'm in the gym, I feel I can score." Celtics coach Brad Stevens doesn't disagree. After the Celtics acquired Thornton in a three-team swap back in July, Stevens told the story of how Thornton erupted for 30 points to help LSU oust Butler from the early rounds of the NCAA tournament in 2009. And, befitting his new uniform, Thornton will have a perpetual green light in Boston when he comes off the bench looking to provide a scoring punch...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... r-thornton
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:02 am

Marcus Smart wise beyond his years on defense

WALTHAM, Mass. -- By the end of Monday night, the Philadelphia 76ers’ ball handlers seemed sick of seeing Boston Celtics rookie Marcus Smart in front of them, and the team’s big men appeared resigned to the fact that there was little they could do to steer him in another direction.

A cursory glance at the box score would leave most assuming Smart had a rather lackluster preseason debut -- missing all eight shots he took over 27 minutes -- but the stat line ignores his influence at the opposite end of the floor. Of Smart’s defense, Celtics coach Brad Stevens raved, “He’s one of these guys that I think will get stronger as the game goes along defensively, and that’s hard to play against for the whole time.” ...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... on-defense
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:01 am

W2W4: C's vs. Knicks (Preseason Game 2)

The Boston Celtics and New York Knicks meet in exhibition play on Wednesday night at the XL Center in Hartford, Conn. Here's what to watch for from a Boston perspective:

• Better test for C's? Count Celtics coach Brad Stevens among those that think the Knicks are flying under the radar. "I think the Knicks are probably the one team people are not talking about as much in the East and I look up and down their roster and I see why they should have a lot of excitement," said Stevens. "They are deep, they have a legit top 5 player in the league [in Carmelo Anthony], and they are huge on the interior. They will be great for us to have to play against and playing against -- I don’t know what [first-year coach] Derek [Fisher] will do, but if he runs some triangle actions and principles, that’ll be great to test how solid we can be at this stage and trying to keep up with them." ...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... n-game-2-2
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:01 am

Rookie Young sidelined by hamstring strain

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Boston Celtics rookie James Young strained his left hamstring before his preseason debut on Monday and played through the discomfort, but could now be sidelined for an extended period. Young said he felt "a few pops" while stretching on Monday, but adrenaline helped carry him through his preseason debut, in which he scored 10 points in nearly 20 minutes of action in a reserve role. Young said he couldn't really walk when he woke up on Tuesday morning. While he downplayed the injury and suggested it might only sideline him a few days, Celtics coach Brad Stevens said Young is "probably more week-to-week than day-to-day." ...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... ing-strain
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 am

Injury report: Faverani set for more tests

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Boston Celtics second-year center Vitor Faverani remains sidelined by swelling in his surgically repaired left knee and coach Brad Stevens said more tests are coming to determine how the team will proceed with him. "From what I’ve gathered, he’s had a couple of [MRIs]," Stevens said. "And I don’t know if they showed anything significantly new, but ... people have said, ‘Hey, we need to take another look at him.’ So he’s going to get looked at again. By Saturday, I think I’ll have a lot more information for everybody on him. But he’s not with us, he’s not going to travel [for Friday's game in Toronto]." ...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... more-tests
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:03 am

Rapid Reaction: Celtics 106, Knicks 86

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Rapid reaction after the Boston Celtics defeated the New York Knicks 106-86 in exhibition play on Wednesday night at the XL Center: • Nitty Gritty: Jared Sullinger scored a team-high 23 points on 9-of-12 shooting while making all three 3-pointers he attempted over 23 minutes. Sullinger's frontcourt mate Kelly Olynyk and reserve guard Marcus Thornton added 12 points apiece, while the starting backcourt of Avery Bradley and Marcus Smart each had 11 points. One game after shooting 35 percent from the floor (albeit in a lopsided win over the Philadelphia 76ers), the Celtics shot 48.8 percent and attacked New York's lackluster defense both inside (38 points in the paint) and out (11-of-22 beyond the 3-point arc). Tim Hardaway Jr. scored 18 points to pace the Knicks, who shot 40.6 percent overall and 20.8 percent beyond the arc...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... -knicks-86
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:04 am

Gamebook: Defense contagious for C's

HARTFORD, Conn. -- Marcus Thornton rarely will be lauded for his defense -- hey, he knows his role is to score points -- but there was Thornton on Wednesday night registering three second-half steals as the Boston Celtics cranked up their defensive intensity and motored away for a 106-86 triumph over the New York Knicks at the XL Center.

Boston's defense contributed to the Knicks committing 28 turnovers and the Celtics converted those giveaways into 33 points. Midway through the third quarter in a two-possession game, Thornton simply ripped the ball out of the hands of Tim Hardaway Jr. in the backcourt, spun before corralling the loose ball, and knocked down a little leaner in the paint. A minute later, after drilling a 3-pointer, Thornton tipped a lazy pass at the top of the arc and raced the other way with two defenders in pursuit for a layup as Boston's lead ballooned to double figures...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... ous-for-cs
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:46 am

Practice: Frustrated Green sits again

Boston Celtics swingman Jeff Green expressed frustration Thursday with a lingering calf strain that will keep him off the floor until next week. Green injured himself during the team's intrasquad scrimmage on Friday and has not resumed basketball activities. Celtics coach Brad Stevens told reporters Thursday in Toronto that Green will likely be sidelined until at least Monday. That means Green will miss the team's first four exhibition games. After appearing in every regular-season game the past two seasons, Green vented about having to take it slow with this injury...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... sits-again
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:46 am

Can the Celtics play top-10 defense?

Back in late August, Avery Bradley suggested that the Boston Celtics had potential to be a top-10 defense in the upcoming season. The notion was met with expected skepticism -- or laughed off completely -- by pundits who were quick to note the team's defensive regression to close out the 2013-14 campaign. Boston did little to address its need for a rim protector this offseason and, still in rebuilding mode, it seemed unlikely that these Celtics would be among the defensive elite. But two games into the exhibition season, it's worth revisiting Bradley's proclamation. Yes, it's dangerous to read too much into a couple preseason tilts -- particularly against a couple Atlantic Division opponents -- but Boston's increased aggression on the defensive end does make you wonder if the Celtics have a better shot than most gave them at shimmying up into the top third of the league...

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... 10-defense
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:14 am

W2W4: C's vs. Raptors (Preseason Game 3)

The Boston Celtics visit the Toronto Raptors on Friday night for exhibition play at the Air Canada Centre. Here's what to watch for:

• Best test for C's? The Celtics have posted a pair of 20-point wins to open the preseason and, as part of a vanilla preseason schedule that sees them play each of their Atlantic Division rivals twice, playing the Raptors north of the border might be the best test they'll see. As coach Brad Stevens said at Friday's shootaround: "[The Raptors] were the best team in our division last year. I think it’s a good measuring stick for us, for how we need to improve." Friday's game might tell us if the two lopsided wins to start the year were the sign that this team might be more competitive than we thought (or just confirmation that you can't put too much stock in preseason basketball).

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... son-game-3
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Basketball