Why KG is the first domino for C's

Any pro talk from around the leagues

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:45 am

by Chris Forsberg

There's a misconception that, with the bulky contracts of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen coming off the books this summer, the Celtics immediately have globs of money to spend in free agency.

If only it were that easy.

The NBA's cap structure is such that it encourages teams to re-sign their own free agents, offering financial leniency as teams can spend above the salary cap to retain the players it holds rights to. But in order to prevent a loophole where teams -- like Boston this offseason -- could snatch up other team's free agents with available cap space, then ink their own free agents over the cap, there are holds in place to prevent shenanigans.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... ino-for-cs
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Saunders positive KG will be back

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:18 am

Saunders positive KG will be back

Add Flip Saunders, who spent the playoffs as a special advisor with the Celtics, to the list of people that think Kevin Garnett will be back in Boston next season. From the Minneapolis Star-Tribune:

One reason (Doc) Rivers brought in Saunders was his great relationship with Kevin Garnett. And Saunders said that KG played like he did with the Wolves in 2003-04, when he was named league MVP.

"I remember when we drafted KG [in 1995], we said to him his first year, we played him as a small forward and I told him you're going to be an All-Pro player as a power forward but you're probably going to end your career as a center," Saunders said. "And with Garnett playing center, the Celtics after the All-Star break had the third-best record in the NBA."

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... ll-be-back
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Why KG is the first domino for C's

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:18 pm

Doc has a feeling KG will be back
By ESPNBoston.com

Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers expressed optimism on Tuesday morning that Kevin Garnett will return next season. He called it "positive thinking."

“I don’t know if Kevin is coming back but let’s just say yes. Positive thinking,” Rivers said.

He called it a gut feeling. "I have no basis for that, just how I feel," he told CSNNE.

Rivers appeared at a panel discussion held by the Positive Coaching Alliance panel at Fenway Park, along with Bobby Valentine and other New England coaches including Tommy Amaker of Harvard men's hoops and BC hockey coach Jerry York. He was asked about the status of KG and Ray Allen, who is reportedly interested in heading to Miami to the join the Heat.

Full Story: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/celtics/ ... ll-be-back
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Basketball