Pats Trade Cassel

Any pro talk from around the leagues

Pats Trade Cassel

Postby Peacone36 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:34 pm

For a second round pick????? I think they could have gotten more.
"If honesty is the best policy, then, by default, dishonesty is the second best policy." - Carlin
Peacone36

Re: Pats Trade Cassel

Postby Patsfan07 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:43 pm

I guess we can put to rest those rumors about Brady not being ready next season.
Patsfan07

Postby Scott the Republican » Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:22 pm

Ya, what's up with the Pat's shipping away Vrabel and Cassel to KC for just the 34th pick overall?! Vrabel alone is worth about that much and Cassel is worth way more. Ridiculous.
1/20/2013

Sometimes it takes a Carter to get to a Reagan....

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Scott the Republican

Postby Patsfan07 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 pm

One reason for the "lesser" deal is there was no contingency in Cassel signing a new deal with KC. KC could be on the hook for the $14+ million on this year's cap.....not sure any other team was going to accept that arrangement.
Patsfan07

Postby Peacone36 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:33 pm

so the franchise tag the Pats placed on Cassel still determine his salary after he is traded? I did not know that......
"If honesty is the best policy, then, by default, dishonesty is the second best policy." - Carlin
Peacone36

Postby Large Farva » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:56 pm

Scott the Republican wrote:Ya, what's up with the Pat's shipping away Vrabel and Cassel to KC for just the 34th pick overall?! Vrabel alone is worth about that much and Cassel is worth way more. Ridiculous.

It's called dumping a 33 year old LB who is past his prime and not a good fit with Thomas there, and a 27 year old QB who has put up one solid year against mediocre talent. I thought Cassel would be with the team this fall, but I am not surprised the Pats are shedding payroll as they.
If only I had half of, um, ah, uh, jeez, wait, ston-....uh---sonemill's memory, then I would be, uh, ahhhhhh, wait, wait......golden. Yeah, that's it.
Large Farva

Postby Scott the Republican » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:24 pm

I thought the point of them putting the franchise tag on him was so that they could get more for him. I mean, it's great that they got rid of him and his money, but I just thought they could've gotten more.
1/20/2013

Sometimes it takes a Carter to get to a Reagan....

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."
-Thomas Jefferson
Scott the Republican

Postby Large Farva » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Scott the Republican wrote:I thought the point of them putting the franchise tag on him was so that they could get more for him. I mean, it's great that they got rid of him and his money, but I just thought they could've gotten more.

There is added value in the fact that the deal was made without the need for Cassel to have secured a long term deal with KC. Very low risk for the Pats in that they did not need to wait for Cassel to work out terms.

Perhaps they could've received more value, but the fact they could deal him without having to worry about it falling through was huge.
If only I had half of, um, ah, uh, jeez, wait, ston-....uh---sonemill's memory, then I would be, uh, ahhhhhh, wait, wait......golden. Yeah, that's it.
Large Farva

Return to Football