Pats Franchise Cassel

Any pro talk from around the leagues

Pats Franchise Cassel

Postby Peacone36 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 am

Step up all takers............

Who needs a QB? SF? Detroit? KC?

We'll take a 1st round pick thanks........
"If honesty is the best policy, then, by default, dishonesty is the second best policy." - Carlin
Peacone36

Re: Pats Franchise Cassel

Postby bandemsdad » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:49 am

KC got a first and two thirds for Jared Allen so maybe we can get more than just a first...granted Cassell is no Allen but maybe we can squeeze some more picks out of someone.
bandemsdad

Postby Mainer61 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:41 am

Who the heck knows if Cassel is going to be franchised? The Patriots brass have a month to go to make that decision. It's just another media fabrication to sell papers.
Don't you just love the LTC!
Mainer61

Postby Large Farva » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:15 pm

Any deal is contingent on Cassel signing with that team, and one has to wonder if Cassel will want to go to Detroit or KC. Also, the health status of Brady is the key to whether or not they deal him, and you have to weigh having stability at the QB position in an offense where the QB is the focus, or picking up a couple of draft picks. I sitll think he will be in New England this year because the division is still theirs to take with Miami drawing Pitt and SD one their schedule, and you cannot take a chance on some castoff who will be available in August.
If only I had half of, um, ah, uh, jeez, wait, ston-....uh---sonemill's memory, then I would be, uh, ahhhhhh, wait, wait......golden. Yeah, that's it.
Large Farva

Postby Patsfan07 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:02 pm

I'd be very surprised to see Cassel on the Pats next season....they can't tie up $29 million of the cap on just QBs. And you can't just say the Lions and KC will be bad again next season....look at Miami and Atlanta over the past 2 seasons. Besides, Millen is now out of the picture in Detroit, which was their main problem anyway. Also, when Cassel and his agent do work on a contract with another team, the bonus money and next year's salary will be more than the $14 million as a franchise player. Cassel is sitting pretty right now....
Patsfan07

Postby Large Farva » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:15 am

Patsfan07 wrote:I'd be very surprised to see Cassel on the Pats next season....they can't tie up $29 million of the cap on just QBs. And you can't just say the Lions and KC will be bad again next season....look at Miami and Atlanta over the past 2 seasons. Besides, Millen is now out of the picture in Detroit, which was their main problem anyway. Also, when Cassel and his agent do work on a contract with another team, the bonus money and next year's salary will be more than the $14 million as a franchise player. Cassel is sitting pretty right now....

And what indication is there that Cassel will want to go to KC or Detroit? It's not a matter of if I think they will be bad, it's a matter of will Cassel want to go there, can he get a deal worked out or not.

And yes, they can tie up the money for this ONE YEAR. What else are they going to do? With the contracts up in 2010 they are more than likely not going to sign a long term deal with someone this offseason. And again, look at the trade off...security at a key position or depth at another position? Let's remember the defense was banged up and young in the secondary, so thinking the Pats 'need' to get a big name in that secondary is a little pre-mature.
If only I had half of, um, ah, uh, jeez, wait, ston-....uh---sonemill's memory, then I would be, uh, ahhhhhh, wait, wait......golden. Yeah, that's it.
Large Farva

Postby Patsfan07 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:02 pm

Large Farva wrote:And what indication is there that Cassel will want to go to KC or Detroit? It's not a matter of if I think they will be bad, it's a matter of will Cassel want to go there, can he get a deal worked out or not.

And yes, they can tie up the money for this ONE YEAR. What else are they going to do? With the contracts up in 2010 they are more than likely not going to sign a long term deal with someone this offseason. And again, look at the trade off...security at a key position or depth at another position? Let's remember the defense was banged up and young in the secondary, so thinking the Pats 'need' to get a big name in that secondary is a little pre-mature.

And who's saying Cassel doesn't want to go to KC or Detroit ?? Besides, there are other teams that need a QB like Minnesota, Chicago, San Fran...the list is long. The only real reason to hang onto Cassel is if Brady won't be ready....and only the Pats know about his status...lots of rumors but nothing can be verified to date.

As for the ONE YEAR comment, well, they have quite a number of players who will be FAs in 2010, and they'd like to sign some of them this offseason and not wait for all of them next year....need to spread out the contracts as much as possible.
Patsfan07

Postby Large Farva » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:14 pm

And who's saying Cassel doesn't want to go to KC or Detroit ?? Besides, there are other teams that need a QB like Minnesota, Chicago, San Fran...the list is long

I haven't said either way, my point is dealing him is not as simple as 'well, the Pats got a good offer from team A or team B so Cassel will land there'. There has to be a contract in place before the Pats can deal him and then you have trade negotitations.

The only real reason to hang onto Cassel is if Brady won't be ready....and only the Pats know about his status...lots of rumors but nothing can be verified to date.

Exactly, and that is the only reason I have said to keep Cassel. The QB is the focus in this offense, and there is reason to think that Kevin O'Connell or someone they pick up will fill the void as well as Cassel. Brady's status is uncertain for this year, why run the risk with an unknown?

As for the ONE YEAR comment, well, they have quite a number of players who will be FAs in 2010, and they'd like to sign some of them this offseason and not wait for all of them next year....need to spread out the contracts as much as possible.

The Pats are not known for offering extensions to guys still on rookie deals. Seymour and Warren are the only two exceptions I can think of off the top of my head, and in the case of Seymour they gave him a $1 million bump in 2005 and offered a new deal in 2006.

Now I have read the pros to signing guys this year with the potential for a cap free 2010 and a downturn in the economy coupled with you are the only team negotiating with them. However, players may also think about waiting another year and break the bank in 2010, and there is no guarantee players will take a hometown discount.
Large Farva

Postby rdsox08 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:38 pm

The bottom line is that if the overrated Brady does not come back, the Pats are screwed. ;)
The Voice of Reason

Hey - me and NEF have a blog now! http://reasonableexperience.blogspot.com/

Check us out!
rdsox08

Postby Brooklyn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:45 am

rdsox08 wrote:The bottom line is that if the overrated Brady does not come back, the Pats are screwed. ;)

If he is so overrated why are they "screwed"?
Brooklyn

Next

Return to Football