Ellsbury vs Crisp

Any pro talk from around the leagues

Ellsbury vs Crisp

Postby Patsfan07 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:07 am

It's too bad we can't bring up this topic from the old msgboard. I was amazed at the number of people who weren't big fans of Ellsbury....and how many folks didn't think he'd be an improvement over Crisp. Do those folks still feel that way ? He's on a pace to steal 70+ bases and he's a darn good outfielder....and hopefully, will be the Sox leadoff man for many years to come.

On the other hand, I wanted the Sox to trade Crisp before the season and it's a good thing they didn't....he's been a lifesaver filling in for JD, Manny and now Ortiz.
Patsfan07

Re: Ellsbury vs Crisp

Postby billzfan34 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:10 am

Not so sure that Crisp is a life-saving fill in for Ortiz. He only gets credit for being a good fill in for Manny and JD because of his glove.Crisp,however, is a player that I do enjoy having on the bench.As for Ellsbury,he is still very young and will have some ups and downs,but one would have to be blind to not see the very bright future he has in MLB.
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Re: Ellsbury vs Crisp

Postby baseketball » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:40 pm

Ellsbury is clearly the better player in the long run. Already among the elite base stealers in the league, comparable to Crisp in batting average, but much better in on base percentage. Crisp is still the better fielder, but Ellsbury is good in the field too.
I was perhaps the strongest proponent of not trading Ellsbury on this board during the off-season and I am very glad the Sox kept him. I would have traded Crisp for Johan Santana, but I did not want to see the Sox give him away for nothing just so he could play everyday somewhere else. I figured Drew, Manny, and Papi would all get injured at some point and Crisp would be needed (and if not he's a great defensive replacement and pinch runner).
I'm glad the Sox have both guys, but when everyone is healthy, Ellsbury should start and Crisp should be the 4th outfielder.
baseketball

Return to Baseball