revolving door reserves

Any pro talk from around the leagues

revolving door reserves

Postby baseketball » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:48 am

Why do the Red Sox keep calling up and sending down so many different reserve outfielders?
First it was Brandon Moss, then some Van Every guy, then Jeff Bailey, now some guy named Carter.
In the past they have done much the same thing with relievers.
Are they just trying to give a bunch of guys a small taste of the big leagues or what?
baseketball

Re: revolving door reserves

Postby billzfan34 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:19 am

It's that and the fact they have the options to use up,but certain players have only so many options.I'm kind of curious how many options Masterson has.They have recalled him 3-4 times already.
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Re: revolving door reserves

Postby coachhawk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:09 am

I haven't kept up with the rules on options that closely, but it used to be that only 1 option was used per year per player no matter how many times that player was shuttled back and forth from minors to majors during the same season. Not sure if it is still that way. If that's the case, there are several reasons I can think of for the revolving door. A few of them would be...allowing the player to get a taste of the big leagues, a quick look to see if the player is the right fit for the team, a way for the team to see the character of the player first hand as he adapts to life in the majors, exposure to other major league teams for potential trade talks. These are just a few of the reasons for the revolving door.
coachhawk

Return to Baseball