Bartolo

Any pro talk from around the leagues

Bartolo

Postby billzfan34 » Wed May 21, 2008 9:27 pm

Nice quality effort by Colon tonight.So,when Bucholz gets healthy,who sits? Colon?,Bucholz? maybe Wake? I just as soon see Masterson get a chance to stick on the back end of the rotation.
Arrive...Raise Hell...Leave
billzfan34

Re: Bartolo

Postby fishrmn43 » Thu May 22, 2008 7:13 am

The options are endless..............BTW How`s your Mariners doin?
fishrmn43

Postby coachhawk » Thu May 22, 2008 8:14 am

billzfan34 wrote:Nice quality effort by Colon tonight.So,when Bucholz gets healthy,who sits? Colon?,Bucholz? maybe Wake? I just as soon see Masterson get a chance to stick on the back end of the rotation.

IF they're all healthy, I believe Buchholz is the odd man out at this point. Tito has already said that Colon would not pitch out of the pen.
coachhawk

Postby billzfan34 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:29 am

Lol..yeah,ok fishrmn. The Mariners have been really sucking and although I am still rooting hard for them,aside from the Red Sox I have been following Cecil Coopers' Astros.
billzfan34

Postby Peacone36 » Thu May 22, 2008 3:17 pm

The Astros.........more specifically Micheal Bourn.........my sleeper...........is single handedly killing my fantasy team but hes too valuable to drop at 20 steals so far.......
"If honesty is the best policy, then, by default, dishonesty is the second best policy." - Carlin
Peacone36

Postby fishrmn43 » Fri May 23, 2008 6:10 am

You probably cheer for the Pats too, right?
fishrmn43

Postby BangorBound » Fri May 23, 2008 7:53 am

I don't really know if you could put Buchholz in the bullpen though...Hasn't he been a starter from the get-go, with very little bullpen experience? Just doesn't seem like it would work.

Colon won't go to the pen.

And then there is Wake...He's not getting any younger, and a switch to the bullpen would allow us to keep Colon in the rotation and slowly ease Wake out....I like him as much as the next Sox fan, but he's getting up there age-wise and the Sox are becoming younger and younger. At this point I feel it's just a matter of time before he gets moved out of the rotation and into the bullpen to make way for a young arm.

Which makes me wonder about Schilling...The Sox really have no need for him in the rotation, and his health troubles are reason enough to keep him out. So when he comes back should he work out of the bullpen/spot start for the Sox? I think so.

Now, how does having Wakefield and Schilling working out of the bullpen with Okajima and Papelbon sound? Wake and Schill could also spot-start as needed, and it would add great depth to the pen...Which people always seem to criticize the Sox for.

Thoughts...Just my opinions, remember.
BangorBound

Postby billzfan34 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:35 pm

Umm..the Patsies would be a resounding NO!!
billzfan34

Postby billzfan34 » Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 am

I think Wake just answered a lot of the questions,last night. He has shown to be an effective reliever in the past and may fit in nicely as long relief and as a bridge to Pap when Okey needs a rest.
billzfan34

Postby SportsMaineac » Sat May 24, 2008 10:25 am

IMHO, it's hard to judge a knuckleballer like Wake's performance. Obviously, he's had a couple tough outings, but it's been like that since he's been with the Sox (and Pirates before that). He's just as liable to come out for the next couple games and be nearly unhittable. So much of the knuckleball's performance is out of the pitcher's control; even he doesn't know where it's going. It's also at the whim of wind, weather, etc. He's in great shape, and knuckleballers tend to last a long time (look at the Niekros). I think the Sox have known for some time that going in to any of his starts that they better score some runs.

Bartolo Calzone looked pretty good the other night, but he hasn't proved to be anywhere near as durable as Wakefield. Wake may well be moved to the 'pen, but I would like to see more than one good start out of Bartolo before they move anyone.

My $.02
~ SM
SportsMaineac

Next

Return to Baseball