Class A playoffs...

post info & talk all things Hockey (BOYS)...

Class A playoffs...

Postby 85Champs » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:20 pm

Lewiston will obviously be favored in the north but the south has a lot of parity in Cheverus, Falmouth, Biddeford and TA which in my opinion any of the four could emerge as regional champ.

Thoughts on either conference?
85Champs

Re: Class A playoffs

Postby interloper » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:51 pm

I also think Lewiston is the favorite in the north. I agree on those 4 teams in the south but I also think that Portland-Deering could be a sleeper.
interloper

Postby footballkicker77 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:38 am

Most open I have seen the playoffs in a long time, at least in the South: any of the top 5 teams could make a run: I agree with interloper, Portland/Deering could be a sleeper: they have only been outshot in 1 game this season and are coming off a game in which they outshot Biddeford 34-17 : 29-9 in the last two periods...If they get some puck luck and King and Tocchi rise to the challenge, they could surprise....There is no dominate team, so it makes it very interesting...
footballkicker77

Postby interloper » Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:47 am

Looking at the heal points, even thought TA leads Portland-Deering this morning for 4th those spots will probably flip and TA will travel to Portland for the preliminary game. There are still 4 games remaining to be played and two are Yarmouth vs.Gardiner and York vs. Kennebunk-Wells. PD has beaten Yarmouth and York while TA had beaten K-W. If York and Yarmouth both win, and both are probably favored, as both have the better record and both are at home, then I am pretty sure P-D will pick up enough pointes to get the 4th. I believe a K-W win , Yarmouth loss or 2 ties will keep TA in 4th. During the season TA and the bullrams split with the visiting team winning both.
interloper

Postby footballkicker77 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:05 pm

That's exactly what happened: next Wednesday the 28th @ 5:50 TA vs Portland/Deering @ PIA
footballkicker77

Postby Tom Nolette » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 am

Lewiston, Old Town/Orono hockey teams grab top seeds in North
Playoffs begin this week with quarterfinal matchups.

.... Two-time defending Class A state champion Lewiston and last year’s Class B North runner-up Old Town/Orono each enter the tournaments as the No. 1 seeds in the North. Both have byes into the regional semifinals. Edward Little and the Waterville/Winslow co-op, the No. 2 seeds in Class A North and Class B North, also have byes in the opening round of the playoffs.

In Class A North, No. 4 Bangor (11-7-0) will host No. 5 Cony/Hall-Dale/Monmouth (8-8-2) on Tuesday in a quarterfinal.

Cony won just one of its final six games this season (1-4-1), including two losses at the hands of Bangor during that span. Tuesday’s winner will advance to meet Lewiston (16-2-0) in the semifinals next weekend.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/02/24 ... -in-north/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Class A playoffs - qtr-final Schedule

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:43 am

Schedule for Tuesday, February 27, 2018

A North quarterfinal: #5-Cony/Hall-Dale/Monmouth vs. #4-Bangor
A North quarterfinal: #6-Poland/Gray-New Gloucester/Oak Hill/Leavitt vs. #3-St. Dominic, 6 p.m. 
A South quarterfinal: #6-South Portland/Freeport/Waynflete vs. #3-Biddeford, 5:30 p.m. 

Schedule for Wednesday, February 28, 2018
A South quarterfinal: #5-Thornton Academy vs. #4-Portland/Deering, 5:50 p.m. Troubh Ice Arena, Portland
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Class A playoffs... begins Tues Feb 27....

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:05 am

Lewiston takes top seed into playoffs; rivals right behind

A North
The Class A North tournament will run through Lewiston, both figuratively and literally. After the quarterfinal round both the semifinals and regional final will be played at Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

The Blue Devils receive a bye to the semifinals, where they will await the winner of a quarterfinal matchup between No. 4 Bangor (11-7) and No. 5 Cony/Monmouth/Hall-Dale (8-8-2). The Bangor Rams won the lone regular-season meeting on the road in overtime.

The other quarterfinal pits Norway Savings Bank Arena co-tenants St. Dom’s (8-8-2, No. 3 seed) and Poland/Leavitt/Oak Hill/Gray-New Gloucester (11-7, No. 6 seed). The Saints routed the Kings midway through the season. The winner of that game will face another team that calls Norway Savings Bank Arena home, the second-seeded Red Eddies (11-6-1). EL, in its first season under head coach Norm Gagne, split with the Saints and twice narrowly beat the Kings.

Lewiston went 8-0 against the other playoff teams in A North, though they didn’t face the Kings. The Blue Devils beat those opponents by a combined score of 35-8.

A South

http://www.sunjournal.com/boys-hockey-l ... ht-behind/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:09 am

Rams collide: Cony, Bangor hockey teams meet in quarterfinals
Bangor twice beat Cony during regular season.

...“It’s really tough to beat a team three times in a row,” Cony defenseman Logan Leadbetter said Monday. “It’s a whole different mindset in playoffs. Anything can happen. Making it to the playoffs is good, but now we need to keep it rolling. It will be different this time against Bangor, I hope.”

After sitting as high as second in the Heal point standings this winter, No. 5 Cony (8-8-2) went just 1-4-1 over its final six games of the regular season. No. 4 Bangor, by contrast, won its final two games of the season to finish 11-7-0.

Tuesday’s winner gets No. 1 Lewiston, the two-time defending state champion, in Saturday’s regional semifinals at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee.

https://www.centralmaine.com/2018/02/26 ... terfinals/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby gscott13 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:06 pm

Biddeford 6 - South Portland/Freeport/Waynflete 3
St. Dom's 5 - Poland/GNG/Oak Hill/Leavitt 1
Bangor 6 - Cony 0

Portland vs. TA on Wednesday night....
gscott13

Next

Return to Hockey (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur