Previews:

post info & talk all things Hockey (BOYS)...

Previews:

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:11 am

York Wildcats get back on the ice with one goal

...Gamache led the Wildcats to a 17-3-1 record with a G.A.A. of around 1.50.

“He’s played a lot of hockey and is very athletic,” Powers said. “What I remember most is when things got interesting in (the playoff game) against Greely he settled everything down and there was no panic in him at that point. It’s crucial to have a goaltender back there that you and your defense can count on.”

Martin was named a captain for the third straight season. Senior defenseman Joe Graziano and senior forward Spencer Pickett were also named captains.

Other returning players include senior forwards Mark Engholm and Brendan Webster, junior forwards Andrew Bertolini, Dalton McCann, and Jake Nelson, sophomore forward Aidan Drew, junior defenseman Marshall Ford, and sophomore defenseman Max Pickett.

Senior Tommy Carr, who led the Wildcats last season in goals and points, elected not to play for York this season; rather for the Islanders Hockey Club, a U-18 team out of Tyngsboro, Mass.

http://www.seacoastonline.com/sports/20 ... h-one-goal
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Previews:

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:52 am

Houlton, Hodgdon, Southern Aroostook and Katahdin:

Black Hawks ready to drop the puck on new season

...The squad secured the No. 5 seed in the Class B North for the playoffs and travelled to No. 4 Hampden Academy for a quarterfinal clash. The Black Hawks fell 3-0 in that contest.

“We have very good balance throughout the team in offense and defense as well as goaltending,” said assistant coach David Wilson. “We are a fast, hard-hitting team that can capitalize on our opponent’s mistakes.”

This year’s squad is senior laden, with seven players lacing up their skates for their final season. Those seniors are Abe Lorom, Zack Fitzpatrick, Nick Delucca, Garrett Perkins, Drew Marino, AJ Henderson and Brandon Dunn.

“They have been playing together for many years and developed into very good players in the process,” Wilson said.

The rest of the team consists of juniors Alex Wilde and Ian Neureuther; sophomores Jason Collett, Noah Reynolds, Gavin Vining and Nate Delucca; and freshmen Elijah Matheson and Logan Swallow.

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/05/sports/b ... ew-season/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:06 am

Lewiston trio faces a friendly competition in net

...The answer isn’t so easy, but it’s also not a concern for Belleau — the Blue Devils have three netminders to choose from, and there doesn’t seem to be a bad choice among them.

Senior Conrad Albert and juniors Sean Michael Chabot and Jacob Smith are all vying to fill the void left by graduated starter Jacob Strout.

“I think right now the expectation is to give all three of them a chance,” Belleau said. “There’s no easy way to put it, when you’re a goalie there’s only one goalie who can dress in a game, so I think some healthy competition is good for them.”

All three have experience at the varsity level, and they all got some time in net during an exhibition series against Boston College High School of Massachusetts this past weekend.

http://www.sunjournal.com/boys-hockey-l ... on-in-net/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:09 am

Sun Journal boys' hockey team previews

Cony/Monmouth/Hall-Dale Rams
Edward Little Red Eddies
Lewiston Blue Devils
Maranacook/Winthrop/Madison Hawks
Mt. Ararat/Lisbon/Morse Eagles
Poland/Leavitt/Oak Hill/Gray-NG Kings
St. Dominic Academy Saints

http://www.sunjournal.com/2017-18-sun-j ... -previews/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:32 am

CM Class A boys, girls hockey preview
Lewiston, Bangor still at top; St. Dom's remains elite in girls field

...TLewiston, which has won each of the last two Class A state championships, and Bangor are expected to emerge once again, forcing the rest of the league to play catch-up throughout the winter.

“I think they’re probably the top two teams, and St. Dom’s will probably be there,” Cony head coach Chad Foye acknowledged.

Foye’s Rams should stack up right about where they did last season, when they finished third in A North and hosted a regional quarterfinal.

Cony, which is in a co-op with Hall-Dale and Monmouth, is more well-rounded compared to last season, Foye said, and should find goals coming from more than a single line. The Rams will have a solid top trio in Avery Pomerleau between Reed Hopkins and Cole Lockhart. At 6-foot-4, Lockhart is easily the biggest right wing in the league.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/12/07/ ... y-preview/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:37 am

CM Class B hockey preview
Kennebec RiverHawks will make presence felt, should make run at regional title in inaugural season.

...“That’s always the hope,” said Jon Hart, who graduated from Waterville in 2007. “But all I can say is that we’re taking it one game at a time, one shift at a time. I want us to learn to work hard and worry about the rest of it later.”

Kennebec had 30 kids try out for a hockey program that, divided out to its original communities, was otherwise in trouble. Waterville graduated eight players from its 17-player roster last season, while Winslow had only 13 on a last-place team. Combined, though, they have championship-caliber players and a deep talent pool by Class B standards.

Senior Cody Pellerin anchored Waterville’s second line last season, and returns from a 10-goal, 32-point campaign, while classmate Chase Wheeler was a regular blue line contributor often overshadowed by the three seniors the Purple Panthers’ defensive corps.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/12/07/ ... y-preview/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:03 am

Bangor optimistic as high school hockey season gets under way

Bangor is still looking for its first Class A North championship after losing to eventual two-time state champ Lewiston 6-0 in the regional final a year ago. The Rams wound up 12-8.

Last year’s leading scorer Kodi Legassie (13 goals, 16 assists in 18 regular season games), who transferred to Bangor after spending his first two seasons at Bangor’s John Bapst High School, has decided to spend his senior year playing at Hebron Academy, according to Paradis.

Legassie was on a high-powered top line with second-leading point-getter Josh Sherwood (11 & 12) and No. 4 scorer Dan Beal (9 & 6).

Sherwood is also gone but Beal is back as is junior Nick Boudreau (12 & 4), who was third in points.

http://bangordailynews.com/2017/12/08/s ... under-way/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:19 am

Wildcat hockey team to feature potent offense

...Presque Isle competes in Class B North and 13th-year coach Carl Flynn said that while the Old Town-Orono cooperative team will provide a tough challenge, his Wildcats should be one of the top contenders in the division.

After finishing the 2016-17 season with only 14 players due to some player suspensions and injuries, the ’Cats have bumped up to 22 players on this year’s roster. Only 20 are allowed to suit up for games, but Flynn said the extra numbers will “make practices more competitive and give us a buffer for potential injuries.”

Presque Isle lost only one senior in Denny Young, an all-star defenseman who racked up 11 goals and a team-high 18 assists last season, but Flynn said the return of some players who didn’t play last year, in addition to a talented freshmen group, should correlate to a strong season.

http://thecounty.me/2017/12/08/sports/w ... t-offense/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:24 am

An unrivaled bond: Noble hockey players feel at home with Marshwood

...Months later things are looking up for Noble, which has joined forces with rival Marshwood along with Sanford and Kittery’s Traip Academy to form the KnightHawks.

“I was excited,” said coach Eric Royal, who starred at Spaulding High School in Rochester, N.H., and played collegiately at the University of New Hampshire. “I’ve known the Noble program for a while. They’ve had a mutual middle school program for at least six to seven, maybe even 8 years now. They share resources between Marshwood and Noble. I was excited. I’m looking forward to it. I think it’s a good thing.”

With the addition of Noble and 11 incoming freshmen, the numbers have risen significantly for a program that returns 17 of 18 players from last year’s club.

“It’s a little tough for me after playing with all my friends from middle school and the KnightHawk program with the Wells guys,” Noble senior Nathan Dewols said during a recent early morning practice at Dover (N.H.) Arena, their new home. “Coming from playing with all of them since seventh and eighth grade and switching senior year, it’s been a little bit different. A lot of things have changed, but I’m thankful for Marshwood and letting us come in and play with them.”

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20171211/ ... -marshwood
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Next

Return to Hockey (BOYS): Maine High School & Amateur