classifications

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: classifications

Postby dunbar » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:46 pm

So with Mount View and Waterville, and now likely Mountain Valley all in on 8-man, I highly doubt they’ll be able to sustain four classes of 11-man.
dunbar

Postby interloper » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:47 pm

I believe there is some talk about Mountain Valley and Dirigo going co-op and playing 11 man. Of course it may be co-op and going to 8 man.
interloper

Postby footballphan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:11 am

Dunbar, you are correct. Honestly, this isn't hard. Allow teams to move to 8 man if they need to. The number of 8 man teams might be 20 or more by the time the dust settles on this off season.

Then, take the remaining teams (would there be around 60?) and divide them into three classes. 20/20/20 or 21/21/20 if you had 62 teams...you get the idea.

That structure allows for some flexible scheduling that could low the number of blowouts. Class A this year saw just as many blowouts because some of the teams in B were far superior to some teams in A. As a result, TA had to play EL two weeks in a row and won like 150-0 when it could have been much worse. Is that good for high school football?

Three classes, flexible scheduling and all the state games at one location (I think it would be awesome if it rotated sites, but I know the powers that be like A/B in Portland).
footballphan

Postby TheMike » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:43 am

footballphan wrote:Dunbar, you are correct. Honestly, this isn't hard. Allow teams to move to 8 man if they need to. The number of 8 man teams might be 20 or more by the time the dust settles on this off season.

Then, take the remaining teams (would there be around 60?) and divide them into three classes. 20/20/20 or 21/21/20 if you had 62 teams...you get the idea.

That structure allows for some flexible scheduling that could low the number of blowouts. ....

Three classes, flexible scheduling and all the state games at one location (I think it would be awesome if it rotated sites, but I know the powers that be like A/B in Portland).

I've been of the opinion since the inception of 8-man that this is the direction we're going in - with three classes of 11-man + 8 man. The challenge then becomes scheduling and how to avoid unreasonably long trips.

I can see a competitive Class C North comprised of up to a dozen teams within a reasonable driving distance of Bangor but in order for that to happen the MPA would have to abandon their ridiculous (IMO) idea that enrollment is the best way to determine class. Since we all know that the MPA wants to have metrics to support whatever they do that's not likely to happen, but it could.

In addition there's also the potential for a Class C South with most teams within a semi-reasonable driving distance of Augusta with only a couple of exceptions.

Please don't ask me how that would affect a new Class B or Class A. I have no idea - but I'd welcome any thoughts on the issue. One of the most frustrating things regarding classes and scheduling is that I see some good ideas on this forum - which the MPA promptly ignores. :(
TheMike

Postby TheMike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:29 pm

Here's the latest on 8-man football per Ernie Clark at the Bangor Daily News.

https://bangordailynews.com/2020/01/13/ ... -football/

My takeaway from this is that the migration of teams from (usually) Class D to 8-man will produce two divisions of 8-man but all of Class D may be consolidated into one statewide Class D. Schedules would be filled by scheduling Class C teams (hopefully) done using geographics.

I don't claim to be up to date on the power schools in C & D South but there are several teams in Class C North that would be good matchups for the remaining D schools in the North.
TheMike

Postby MBRRadio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:30 pm

The Large School teams would be: Mt. Ararat (709 students), Camden Hills (693), Gray-New Gloucester (596), Nokomis (583), Morse (583), Lake Region (535), MDI (531), Waterville (516), Yarmouth (509), Ellsworth/Sumner (483), Washington Academy (404), Spruce Mountain (402), and Mountain Valley (375).

The Small School division, for schools with fewer than 375 students, would be: Mt. View (374), Maranacook (361), Orono (338), Houlton (336), Sacopee Valley (310), Traip Academy (255), Old Orchard (243), Dirigo (219), Telstar (199), Boothbay Region (192), and Stearns (168).

The MPA Football Committee also recommended that the 11-man Class D, for schools with 419 or fewer students, should be a statewide class in 2020, with eight teams (nine if Orono opts to return to 11-man varsity status).

https://t.co/GUT7KgL5Ib
Twitter.com/MBRRadio
MBRRadio

Postby interloper » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:13 am

MBRRadio wrote:The Large School teams would be: Mt. Ararat (709 students), Camden Hills (693), Gray-New Gloucester (596), Nokomis (583), Morse (583), Lake Region (535), MDI (531), Waterville (516), Yarmouth (509), Ellsworth/Sumner (483), Washington Academy (404), Spruce Mountain (402), and Mountain Valley (375).

The Small School division, for schools with fewer than 375 students, would be: Mt. View (374), Maranacook (361), Orono (338), Houlton (336), Sacopee Valley (310), Traip Academy (255), Old Orchard (243), Dirigo (219), Telstar (199), Boothbay Region (192), and Stearns (168).

The MPA Football Committee also recommended that the 11-man Class D, for schools with 419 or fewer students, should be a statewide class in 2020, with eight teams (nine if Orono opts to return to 11-man varsity status).

https://t.co/GUT7KgL5Ib

Since Mountain Valley is 375 and Mt. View 374 and their are 13 in large and 11 in small, maybe the number should be raised to 380 and put Mountain Valley in small and then you would have 12 and 12. Of course not all of the schools listed are definitely going the 8 man route. I would think that you could have 8 teams going to the play-offs in each class and then you could have both 8 man championships on the same day the week before the 11 man. Also class A and D should only have 6 teams, at the most, going to the play-offs. They will play different cross-over teams but I would think they play everyone in their own league once. You could have the games in your class determine the seeds and the games outside of your class be the first tie-breaker or vice-versa.
interloper

Postby TAallday » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:28 pm

Pretty simple to me...Class A and D should not be made of 8 teams a piece...

Take all of the 11-man teams, sort them by enrollment, and divide this state into 3 larger classes.

I think the match ups, depth of leagues, and playoffs would be absolutely excellent. Old rivalries could be renewed and there would still be a chance for dark horses to race to the front of the pack from year to year.
TAallday

Postby footballphan » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 am

Again, it's not hard. My gut tells me they will have to do that with the next classification cycle. Did I read they "couldn't reclassify this year." Why would that be the case? It certainly can't be too late.
footballphan

Postby AVEFAN » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:08 am

TA I agree with you 100%. Take the remaining 11 man teams and divide into 3 classes. With scheduling you can still have crossover competitive games and yes old rivalries can be restored. The "we are in a 2 year cycle" is a bunch of BS! That cycle will be blown up with the # of teams that want to move to 8 man. If they are going to use that reasoning then they should not let any teams drop to 8 man until the 2 year cycle is up.
Come on MPA PLEASE use some damn common sense this Spring!
AVEFAN

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur