Eight-man football is rural Maine’s new reality

post info & talk all things Football...

Eight-man football is rural Maine’s new reality

Postby MattyB » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:41 pm

Eight-man football is more than a patch-up job. It's a preemptive strike against every trend that is slapping us across the face
BY KALLE OAKES
Full Story: https://t.co/v3JQUdxQDy

Everything these days is determined by an unscientific survey and/or settled by social media. It shouldn’t surprise me, then, that earlier this weekend I saw one of those Twitter flash polls asking folks to weigh in on Maine eight-man football.

Excitement, apathy and hatred were the choices, loosely paraphrased. I’ll never understand how the latter emotion has become so pervasive when we’re talking about kids playing a game, but here we are.

Regardless of whether you love, like, loathe or tolerate it, a pared-down version of the greatest game God ever gave man the vision to create is coming to rural Maine, and it’s there to stay.

Having loved high school football since I was old enough to see over the velvet rope behind the bench, and having read with interest longtime tag team partner Randy Whitehouse’s superb series about the methods, motivations and myths behind eight-man football, I’m excited for the stakeholders in my native state.

The game they cherish is being saved and given a fighting chance to thrive, today and for another generation of tomorrows, in a time when every other societal trend pushes against it.

Budget-constrained parents can’t afford it. Well-meaning but short-sighted professionals and political figures preach against it. Prospective players choose hand-held games that demand less sweat equity and provide greater immediate gratification.

All of which are major problems, if you’re looking around at an aimless, detached, increasingly frightening society that is desperate for the life lessons this game taught its fathers and grandfathers.

We simply should err on the side of giving young people every reasonable opportunity to play multiple sports, and especially football, which encourages development of character, reliance upon your neighbor and respect for your adversary perhaps above all others.

Never in my lifetime have Maine and America had a more lukewarm attitude toward football, yet never has the game been more crucial to the lives of its participants.

Full Story: https://t.co/v3JQUdxQDy
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Re: Eight-man football is rural Maine’s new reality

Postby MattyB » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:46 am

Eight-man gets its official start in Maine: https://t.co/ITwQq4HzzS
Twitter.com/MattyBRadio
MaineSports.Net
MattyB

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur