Portland Press Herald All State

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Portland Press Herald All State

Postby Tomahawk86 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:52 pm

I honestly feel like in this situation that might be a hindsight thing. I think if Christopher is as good as if not better next year...he certainly could be a D1 or D1 AA recruit like his father years ago.

I hope he goes on to have a great HS and college career and is able to refine his skills and mechanics. I just wonder if it that were to happen hypothetically...if all the Southern Maine supporters would then accept him as "one" of their own or just some Northern Maine kids that played in a system and padded his stats?!? Because it certainly sounds like the latter from the comments.
Tomahawk86

Postby TAallday » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 am

For me, it's not a generalizable thing. This year's B North just was not that good. Christopher has all the skill and experience to have another great year and be all-state next season.

Let's not get carried away with the D-1 stuff yet though...that is a whole different ball of wax.

Kids who were dominant in Maine, think McCrum and Lucas as of late, have struggled at the D-1 level. Nothing wrong with playing D-2 or 3 though, and I think Christopher has the potential to do that for sure. The game is just so much different outside of Maine. College football is much more than a one or two read game. I would hesitate to say there are any Maine QB's currently with D-1 prowess. Potential, sure, but let's slow down.
TAallday

Postby yorkcountyUNHfan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:27 pm

footballphan wrote:3,000 yards passing and 39 TD passes and not all-state?

I hate skowhegan but Christopher has to be the all state QB

They'll have a difficult time protecting who ever the quarterback is with only 4 o-lineman
yorkcountyUNHfan

Postby footballphan » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

TAallday wrote:For me, it's not a generalizable thing. This year's B North just was not that good. Christopher has all the skill and experience to have another great year and be all-state next season.

Let's not get carried away with the D-1 stuff yet though...that is a whole different ball of wax.

Kids who were dominant in Maine, think McCrum and Lucas as of late, have struggled at the D-1 level. Nothing wrong with playing D-2 or 3 though, and I think Christopher has the potential to do that for sure. The game is just so much different outside of Maine. College football is much more than a one or two read game. I would hesitate to say there are any Maine QB's currently with D-1 prowess. Potential, sure, but let's slow down.

I can all but guarantee you there are none currently. That's not a knock on those players, but in reality, the talent in the state of Maine. Lucas had injury issues (two rotator cuff surgeries) but also faced a stacked depth chart at Wagner, probably would have been better suited to stay at Maine, at least in terms of playing time. He was the most heralded QB since Quinton Porter and he was a fringe D1 player in a lot of ways. There were other great QBs but Lucas had the size, arm strength, and experience in a pass offense that colleges covet.
footballphan

Postby RedStorm26 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:46 pm

yorkcountyUNHfan wrote:
footballphan wrote:3,000 yards passing and 39 TD passes and not all-state?

I hate skowhegan but Christopher has to be the all state QB

They'll have a difficult time protecting who ever the quarterback is with only 4 o-lineman

This is my main problem with the Press Herald All-State team... Great group of kids, but it's not a "team." It's got 2 QBs, 4 OL and no TE. Ridiculous. That's one reason why I think the USA Today All-State team, which seems to get much less attention, is noteworthy. And also worth noting, for the fans of the Skowhegan QB that Christopher was Offensive Player of the Year on the USA Today team.

Also think it's a testament to Owen Garrard that he was Press Herald All State & Gatorade POY largely for his play at RB. And USA Today has him Maine's DEFENSIVE POY. Impressive stuff.

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/2017-all-us ... tball-team
RedStorm26

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:11 pm

I just watched Christopher's hudl. Kid looks very relaxed, confident in the pocket, and almost lackadaisical throwing to his receivers. But some of those secondaries he was facing :| ... I do think there are a lot of QBs out there that could put up similar numbers versus that competition that can't sniff a D1 offer though....

Christopher does have great size going for him, arm looks decent , could not really see much mobility on film.
BrowardHandicapper

Previous

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur