Portland Press Herald All State

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Portland Press Herald All State

Postby Rob Kennedy » Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:34 pm

Tomahawk86 wrote:He's not going anywhere. The people who voted for All-state are all from the Portland area.

Well, it's not like it's an authoritative list--it's what the Portland based writers in the Portland paper had to say. They certainly saw more Southern Maine players, but at the same time, I doubt that many people who feel that Marcus Christopher was snubbed have seen many Scarborough games. It's unlikely that very many are making a comparison of him against Zoltan Panyi's ability based on seeing both play very often. It's regional bias all the way around, and when it's not, it's just looking at raw stats with little to no context.

Christopher could easily be Maine's all-state QB, but I don't think he got "slighted". You could have picked either he or Panyi, and I'd throw Falmouth's Jack Bryant into the mix, too. A good case can be made for all of them them. But a Portland-based player going with the guy that is closer to their coverage area shouldn't be a shock, any more than it would be if the Bangor Daily News went with their "all-state" picks.
Rob Kennedy

Postby Tomahawk86 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:38 am

Agreed. Saw Panyi play twice this year and Christopher three times. Panyi is certainly a top 10 playmaker in the state, deserves to be All State, and his states were good. Christopher might have a high level of raw talent, but certainly could be more polished. So understand the choice. However, Christopher's stats this year are godly for Maine High School football. I doubt he was even in the running for All-state honors to the PPH. That is the issue/problem.

How many times do you think they saw Christopher play outside of the state game? Possibly sent a writer/voter to Biddeford, because it is right down the road?
Tomahawk86

Postby TAallday » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:08 am

I am sure Christopher was in the running...I just think that he was beat out by a better player, one who won a state championship, and defeated both BE and TA on the way, two of the state's best squads.

Southern Maine sports fan do know who Christopher is, I think they just aren't as impressed by his godly numbers due to the schedule his team played.
TAallday

Postby TAallday » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:16 am

Another thought on southern bias...

I don't think it exists in this set of picks. Sure, there might be other guys who could get named to the list from northern Maine, but this list is very solid. There is only one player selected for each position.

What more do you want from these writers and voters? They chose some awesome players and there is variety in terms of geography, which by the way, is not a rule they must hold themselves to when choosing an all-state team. There are kids from different areas, classes, and conferences...the coach of the year is from a Northern Class D team.

Let us not forget that most of the top ten teams in Maine were from Southern Maine this year. It is just the way it rolled out, so I have no problem with the all-state team being dominated by Southern players. They earned it.
TAallday

Postby Tomahawk86 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:37 pm

TA,

Good points made by you and taken. The choices they made are well deserved and it takes nothing against any of the young men who made the list. This is a discussion forum. Opinions are going to differ.

I do have one question for you? Do you think 1645 pass yards and 20 TD's is All-state worthy? Because that is the DIFFERENCE in statistics between Christopher and Panyi's stats.
Tomahawk86

Postby Guard Trap » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:56 pm

A North lousy football, Massabesic-Sanford-SP-Cheverus-Deering (PU)....B Norths playoff teams could compete with and beat all of the above on any given night this past season (vs. the Big 3 NO). Case Closed
Guard Trap

Postby Rob Kennedy » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:59 pm

Tomahawk86 wrote:. However, Christopher's stats this year are godly for Maine High School football. I doubt he was even in the running for All-state honors to the PPH. That is the issue/problem.

I don't see it as a problem at all. Stats are too often used as raw numbers and taken without enough context. Stats for Maine HS football players are generally lousy as a basis of comparison. This is especially the case if they're used to rate players don't play against many or even any common opponents. For those reasons, I'd rather stats be de-emphasized than used as a primary basis for why someone makes "all-state".
Rob Kennedy

Postby TAallday » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:57 am

Tomahawk,

I understand the stats, but truthfully, I don't care much about them. Zoltan Panyi was the best, most talented, and most tested QB in Maine this season. He faced and defeated good teams all year long and if let loose, I am sure his stats could be sky high as well. Zoltan rarely played a full game and Scarborough had a vicious running attack.

It is tough to compare cross-class, but I see this as similar to people comparing the running numbers of Trey Wood and Michael Laverriere last season. Wood had insane stats, but Laverriere played in a class and conference with far tougher competition.

Basically, I am saying that I believe both the players discussed above (Panyi and Laverriere) would have put up similar numbers if put in Class B during their respective seasons. Once again, this is nothing against Christopher, he is a good QB.
TAallday

Postby BBOCFAN » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

There are always players in every position very close in talent. As mentioned by multiple people, stats share some information, but are difficult to rely upon exclusively. 1,600+ yards passing tells me a team relied heavily upon putting the ball in the air. In addition, receivers have a big impact on passing results. A screen pass that receiver scrambles for 70 yards goes in the books as 70 yards for QB. My intent in sharing isn’t to minimize QB accomplishments. Just want to point out good receives are important for passing results. Some teams are just more dynamic and able to move the ball around more. As a result each player’s stats are diluted.
I saw both play this year and was impressed with ability. In the end, that is really what matters. Too difficult to determine who is better without seeing them in consistent situations. There can only be one named for Portland version of all state. They chose Panyi for X reasons. Based on what I saw on field, I wouldn’t have been surprise to see either named. Both good players. Actually, my initial reaction to list was BE wasn’t as well represented as I anticipated. However, that is based on what I saw and the people on all state listing are equally deserving.
One last comment. Any / all players are best remembered for what she / he accomplished. We’ve all heard “ Do you remember X player and what she / he accomplished (specific events and / or team accomplishments)” or “ I enjoyed watching X player when she / he played” . I’ve never heard someone say “Do you remember when X player won all state”. For example, Scarborough players will go down in history as the first team to win class A title for their school. All will remember what was accomplished together. The individual awards are shorted lived. I think being beat up by the cold and dealing with snow is causing me to be philosophical (ha, ha).
BBOCFAN

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:30 pm

Tomahawk86 wrote:The only reason that any of the Northern Maine kids got in this year is because they played in front of "those" voters. Many of them in the state championships.

Not trying to start anything. It is just a shame that it is what it is.

Agreed.

Archer Bunker wrote:It is.........My point is every year some players are left off that should be on the list. Nothing against you it just happens every year.

AB

And agreed.
Labreckjrsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur