Fired York coach Randy Small speaks out

post info & talk all things Football...

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:30 am

Audio: https://omny.fm/shows/edgeradioondemand ... eburg-game

...Small said, although the names of the people and any reference to players except his own son Peyton were redacted from the emails, he said there are a small number of parents who have been vocally opposed to him as a basketball coach over the years, and some of their sons play on both teams.

Up until this game, Small said, as far as he knows there have been no complaints lodged against him as a football coach during his 21 years. Certainly, he said, Wood never called him into his office to answer to a parental complaint. “That’s why this is all the more frustrating,” he said.

He strongly contests the complainants’ account of the game, and notes no flag was thrown during that huddle from officials who were nearby. “We don’t berate kids. Berating kids gets you nowhere. Berating doesn’t happen with me or with those on my staff. If we were belittling kids, why do we have such a high participation rate year after year?”

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/2017 ... speaks-out
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Fired York coach Randy Small speaks out

Postby Tiger58 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:21 am

I hope this works out in Randy's favor somehow. I have been aware of Randy and his coaching abilities since the 2005 season when his team played Brewer for the class B state championship. I have never heard a bad word about him or his coaching. If there was an incident on the sidelines involving a coach, the appropriate action would be to confront the behavior and issue a verbal or written reprimand. This sounds like someone has an ax to grind and it sounds like they know who that is.

I also would like to mention that I saw York play at Gardiner this year in a highly contested game that York won 17-14. The York coaching staff and players competed with great spirit and class the entire game, to the point that I felt the need to speak to some of the staff in the parking lot and let them know that they have a real classy group of coaches and kids. Again I hope this works out in Randy's favor somehow, he does not deserve to be treated like this.
Tiger58

Postby Rob Kennedy » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:20 am

York giving Jay/Livermore a run for its money when it comes to "public coaching fiascos".
Rob Kennedy

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:52 am

York coach fired after 28 seasons

YORK (WGME) -- Randy Small says he was let go for allegedly using abusive language, threatening a player and having a bad game plan.

http://wgme.com/sports/content/york-coa ... 28-seasons
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur