west is best

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: west is best

Postby Rob Kennedy » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:03 pm

If money is the motivation, I can see how potentially we could see changes down the road. I wonder if people will just stop coming to championship games. I know that even had I been around on Saturday and been able to attend, I wasn't going to. I hoped I was wrong, but all the while I had a hunch that we were going to get what we got--3 not-very-competitive games. As someone with no vested interest in any specific team, why would I want to pay to go and sit through that? Why would anyone who wasn't specifically attending to see "their" team (by family, graduation, community, etc) play? (What was attendance like in Portland anyway? Sure didn't look very strong--again--in Orono.)

So we'll see. Maybe this vast a regional imbalance is just a short-term issue (for other classes--for Class A in the past, this has almost always been an issue). It's not like the Class B and C games have been consistent one-sided wins by the West/South over the last decade.

But maybe it's representing a greater long-term trend and if so, I'd expect some changes at some point down the road, though I expect they'd be later rather than sooner.
Rob Kennedy

Postby Firestarter85 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:41 pm

skowhegan crowd was disappointing. rain forecast didn’t help the troops. marshwood has far more but its alot closer. P
Firestarter85

Postby detatlock » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:07 pm

I asked the MPA for ten years to consider hosting all the state championship games at one sight. Now with four classes they continue to play one game at Umaine, why? Portland should also be the sight for that Friday night game, more fans.
The MPA is resistant to change. They are the most politically correct organization that exist in this state! They may consider eliminating North vs South in ten years from now but only if it’s their idea.
detatlock

Postby Linguist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 am

Maybe instead of all 4 games in Portland, two should be played in Orono.

The known kryptonite for players, parents, coaches, administrators, teams, schools, officials, etc from the Portland area is travelling north of the Topsham Fair Mall Exit on I-95.

Look at the scores at UMaine.

2013 - Class B - Cony beat Kennebunk 30-23 (in a very entertaining game)
2014 - Class C - Winslow steamrolled Leavitt 62-14
2015 - Class D - Oak Hill over MCI 34-21(a decent game to watch)
2016 - Class B - Brunswick over Kennebunk 28-6 ( a win for the North) (MCI also won a state title in Portland in 2016)
2017 - Class C - MCI over Cape Elizabeth 30-13 (after Cape pounded MCI in the regular season, this was unexpected)

Maybe, just maybe, the key to getting competitive games is not making the North/East representative drive to Portland to play a team within 20 minutes of Fitzpatrick Stadium every year.

*edited because I transposed the 2013/2014 scores*
Last edited by Linguist on Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linguist

Postby dunbar » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:37 am

Linguist wrote:Maybe instead of all 4 games in Portland, two should be played in Orono.

The known kryptonite for players, parents, coaches, administrators, teams, schools, officials, etc from the Portland area is travelling north of the Topsham Fair Mall Exit on I-95.

Look at the scores at UMaine.

2013 - Class B - Kennebunk beat Cony 30-23 (in a very entertaining game)
2014 - Class C - Leavitt steamrolled Winslow 62-14 (that could have been played in Winslow and the result was going to be the same, Leavitt was really good)
2015 - Class D - Oak Hill over MCI 34-21(a decent game to watch)
2016 - Class B - Brunswick over Kennebunk 28-6 ( a win for the North) (MCI also won a state title in Portland in 2016)
2017 - Class C - MCI over Cape Elizabeth 30-13 (after Cape pounded MCI in the regular season, this was unexpected)

Maybe, just maybe, the key to getting competitive games is not making the North/East representative drive to Portland to play a team within 20 minutes of Fitzpatrick Stadium every year.

Except, to further your point, Cony beat Kennebunk and Winslow crushed Leavitt (by the scores you listed above). There's also the point that Fitzy's a dump and is only hosting games because it's in Portland, but that's another topic.
dunbar

Postby Linguist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:52 am

Dunbar,

Whoops, I transposed those when I wrote them down.

Fixed above.

So that even further proves 2 games a year should be played in Orono if anyone wants a more competitive balance.

4pm and 7pm Friday in Orono
12pm and 3pm Saturday in Portland
Linguist

Postby TAallday » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:59 am

Sorry y'all, but I don't think that would have mattered this year.
TAallday

Postby Linguist » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:14 am

TAAllday.

I agree this year Scarborough and Marshwood were far and away better than their Northern counterparts, and I believe Wells would have beaten Foxcroft on nearly any field they played this year.

But facts are facts. 4 of the last 5 years, the North/East representative has won the game in Orono. Is that just coincidence? While it is more hyperbole than fact, Southern Maine teams seems to be allergic to driving north of exit 31 on I295.
Linguist

Postby Rob Kennedy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:42 am

Linguist wrote: But facts are facts. 4 of the last 5 years, the North/East representative has won the game in Orono. Is that just coincidence?

In my opinion, knowing the teams that played there, yes, I think it probably is. I can't speak as much for this year, but I watched or was at the previous 4 (and had many of those teams in regular season broadcasts), and I think talent was far more the reason that a team won than the game. Cony had the Fitzy winner and a very talented team, Winslow maybe SHOULD have had the Fitzy winner (and were absolutely stacked above and beyond that) and definitely had a more talented team, Brunswick had a Fitzy finalist and a more talented team. I think the 4 out of 5 is more a correlation than causation in this case regarding the location, and that "having a Fitzy finalist to lead your team (Ben Lucas, Dylan Hapworth, Dalton Therrien, Will Bessey) and lots of talent to go with it" is more of a contributing factor.

While it is more hyperbole than fact, Southern Maine teams seems to be allergic to driving north of exit 31 on I295.

They are, and that's not going to change no matter how many games get put in Orono. People can complain about it until the cows come home--and I do--but the MPA wants people at the games, and you can't blame them for that. The strategy of "we'll play in Orono whether fans like it or not, and eventually their will will break and they'll go" will not work. And that's kind of too bad, as the reality is that Orono has far and away the best facility to host the state championships. But unlike in basketball, the area is on the geographic fringe of the teams that play the sport, and the passion is not there the way it is in hoops, so putting more games up there I don't believe isn't the answer.

Don't get me wrong: keeping a game there makes sense. What would make the most sense is to not announce which game is there until the teams are determined, so that the most sensible matchup for Orono can take place there and maybe we'll see a few more people go. Then again, given that this year the most sensible matchup did take place in Orono, maybe not.

The best way to minimize title game blowouts is still getting rid of the N/S distinction and just having playoff seeding regardless of location. But I doubt "minimizing the chance of a title game blowout" is as big a concern to the MPA right now as it is to us as fans.
Rob Kennedy

Postby Tomahawk86 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Why break teams down by Class (the sole determining factor being enrollment)? Makes no sense to me. The MPA should look into breaking it down by district (location,size, rivalry) and have state Class championships by seeding. I feel teams could base success far more by tournament appearances and district titles than winning their "weak" division and being absolutely blown out in the state games. Which is and will continue to happen if changes aren't made.
Tomahawk86

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur