The Way To Early Look Ahead to 2018

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: The Way To Early Look Ahead to 2018

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:34 pm

So, I reviewed the Maxpreps roster listing for Scarborough.

-35 players listed (left off some I am sure as #31, Garrard is not listed, neither is Kelly)
-14 seniors leaving (maybe more due to errors in listing) including some big names and talent
*Panyi (Leader and QB)
*Garrard (Leader, RB, MLB)
*Hughes and Griffin (Line, Both Ways)
*Lagerquist (TE, DE)
*Sendrowski, Quirk, Dudley, Kelly, Seme (WR's, DB's, and SS/FS)

This is just an unreal amount of talent to lose. Very similar to the TA team from 2015.

A synopsis of TA's losses to follow and BE's too.
Last edited by TAallday on Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TAallday

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Review of the Maxpreps listing for TA...

-69 players listed
-16 seniors leaving including these key pieces...
*Heiman and Jones (DE)
*Sharp (FS)
*Nason, Webb, Lynn, Metayer (OL/DL, some both ways)

Obviously, the big holes to fill will be on the offensive line. TA brings a ton of kids back to fills these holes and luckily, I know many of them can do the job. I just don't know other teams this well, so that is where my bias lies in terms of future predictions and such.

I think TA will find guys to replace these excellent players, but they might struggle blocking early in the season. Good thing they have a ton of weapons to get the ball too, as well as some big boys coming up the ranks to put into the system too.
TAallday

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Review of the Maxpreps listing for BE...

-52 Players listed
-16 seniors lost, including a TON of two-way talent. This team might be the hardest hit by graduation out of any I have come across...wow
*Sirois (QB/SS)
*Thorne and Sprague (RB/LB)
*Napolitano (WR/RB, LB/DB, K)
*Emerson, Hendrix, Maturo, Anastasio, Menard (WR/DB)
*Pike (TE/DE)
*Hodgman and Klein (Line, both ways)

No doubt, BE will fill holes, but man, this is just a ton of great two way guys to lose.
TAallday

Postby tazzman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:56 pm

TAallday wrote:So, I reviewed the Maxpreps roster listing for Scarborough.

-35 players listed (left off some I am sure as #31, Garrard is not listed, neither is Kelly)
-14 seniors leaving (maybe more due to errors in listing) including some big names and talent
*Panyi (Leader and QB)
*Garrard (Leader, RB, MLB)
*Hughes and Griffin (Line, Both Ways)
*Lagerquist (TE, DE)
*Sendrowski, Quirk, Dudley, Kelly, Seme (WR's, DB's, and SS/FS)

This is just an unreal amount of talent to lose. Very similar to the TA team from 2015.

A synopsis of TA's losses to follow and BE's too.

Go to MPa rosters for all the updated rosters
tazzman

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks Tazzman. I will certainly do that. These were rough outlines at a quick glance. I hope they provide people with a viable way to project teams into 2018.

It looks like the South will be TA at the top talent wise and then BE and Scarborough somewhere in the top 3-4 depending on how they recover from graduation losses.

Here is my guess in A North and South:

South:
1) TA
2) BE
3) Scarborough
4) Sanford

North:
1) Windham
2) Portland
3) Oxford Hills
4) Lewiston
TAallday

Postby Tackletrap » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 pm

Firestarter85 wrote:skowhegan and Brunswick in the north for class b

messo loses a lot so does brewer. cony loses all their wr and qb

Cony loses all their wr ? Hopkins, the Wozniak twins, Cunningham, and Geyer graduating early ?
Tackletrap

Postby Rambler54 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 pm

D South: Oak Hill will be noticeably weaker on both offense and defense with the loss of Daryn Bailey. I don't see them truly being competitive with a Sophomore QB devoid of his best target, and they could go sub-500 for the first time in a number of years.

Lisbon will be weaker on defense as most of their linebackers are graduating, however their offense was heavily reliant on juniors and presumably won't miss a beat next year behind the arm and legs of Lucas Francis

I've heard that OOB could be dropping to class E next year, which would make sense due to their declining enrollment and limited turnout. Most of their offensive playmakers, including their quarterback, are graduating and should be on the weaker side of the conference.

Dirigo will be graduating their best lineman and offensive weapons and has already dealt with both decreasing enrollment and player turnout, though I'm sure Coach Hersom will roll out a competitive team come September.

Madison will suffer a noticeable dropoff with the loss of Bess and Whalen, who led a high powered offense this year I expect them to be competitive but certainly not a championship contender like this year.

Wells will be graduating Evan Potter, who was one of the best power runners in the state this year, and their center, who was the top lineman in Class D and possibly one of the best in the state. I expect them to still be a powerhouse next year, but I wouldn't anticipate the level of dominance seen this season.

Winthrop/Monmouth should be one of the top teams in the class next year, with sophomore QB Keegan Choate having another year of development. I would expect a large stat line next year, with a host of targets to throw to: two 6'3" tight ends in Jevin Smith and Evan Burnell and a 6'3" receiver in Ryan Baird, plus 3-4 solid slot receivers and some good receiving backs. The biggest issue will be the line, as they will have to replace their best lineman in LT Luke St.Hilaire and their second best lineman Dylan Boynton, who will be moving back to fullback. Right now it looks like a freshman will have to start in at least one spot, but there are least three 300 pounders coming up. If the running game is anything like what the Ramblers had against Lisbon the offense should be very hard to contain. On the defensive side of things, three of four starting linebackers are graduating but their replacements are all experienced and very athletic. D-end group should be one of the strongest in C or D, and secondary should be hard to throw against. A few question at DT/NT but those should be cleared up as soon as spring camp rolls around.
Rambler54

Postby Firestarter85 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:08 pm

tackle
i havent heard of any of those guys. i know roddy and the other tall wr are gone. sousa wasnt a smooth qb but he did ok. i will give lippert credit for winning in that offense without a running attacking and a great qb
Firestarter85

Postby Details » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:16 am

I think the North will be very similar to what it was this past year. Over the past two years I can tell you that:

North
1. OH beat Windham's JV's the last two years and beat them this year at the Varsity level as well. Should be good matchups between these two.
2. OH, Lewiston, and EL had some very good, tightly played JV and Freshman games the past two years. I think these will continue to be hard fought matchups no matter where they are played. EL and Lewiston will have some very solid Juniors and Sophomores contributing next year at the varsity level. Lewiston may have had one of the best Freshman RB's I saw all season.
3. OH will hopefully get some talent back onto the football field that chose not to play this year. There are 4-6 very good players that sat out for many different reasons. We will see if that changes.
4. Cheverus and Portland will likely re-load and be very competitive. I think their programs had numbers issues more than anything this year and neither wanted to play Oxford Hills at the JV level so I can't comment much on them. I'm guessing they will be right in line with the rest of the North.
5. Bangor seems to have decent numbers and dedicated coaches. Maybe they take a step towards the middle next year??

South
1. I saw TA's and Scarborough's JV's in back to back weeks this year. Both will send contributors to varsity and both of these programs will be at the top again. I think TA will be the team to beat in the South providing all of the players come back. Mitchell could be vital to the offense OR the defense and his status does affect just how good TA is out of the gate.
2. I think Sanford continues to rise. They will have a new field and they had awesome numbers this past year. I just think they are doing some good things there and having that many kids involved builds momentum in the program.
3. BE has great coaching and will be doing more rebuilding than we are used to. However, they tend to reload and I'm sure will be very good.
4. I was impressed with South Portland's offense this year but don't know enough about their roster to know who is coming back. They, along with Deering, are interesting teams to determine how deep the South will be.

Predictions: North - Oxford Hills (Homer pick!) South - Thornton Academy
Details

Postby baller1234 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:58 am

Hearing up here in Central Maine the possible co-op of Winslow and Waterville. If that is the case that would be easily be the North C Champs. Also am hearing that both assistant coaches (Littlefield and Bolduc) for Winslow are interested in the Skowhegan job, as well as Bishop from Waterville.
baller1234

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur