The 1997 Knights had quite a ride

post info & talk all things Football...

Postby Tom Nolette » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:01 am

...Suttie not only coached there, he led Noble to an improbable Class A state championship in 1997 that captivated a community.

“It’s never very far from my life,” he said. “It always comes up. For a period of time initially I was a little shy about it, but I’m always aware of it. It was really hard for me after we won it because my face was in the paper a lot, and all of a sudden I’m recognizable.”

He’s still recognizable and the memories haven’t faded, although two decades have passed since the upstart Knights won their first and only Class A crown.

“We were like the Cinderella team,” said Randy Ouellette, the junior quarterback/safety.

Along the way they took down perennial powers Biddeford and South Portland – who had combined for the previous seven titles – to highlight a remarkable achievement that few outside the program saw coming.

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20171115/ ... quite-ride
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: The 1997 Knights had quite a ride

Postby 85Champs » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:28 am

This a great article. I wasn't following high school football too closely at that time so I didn't know it was such a cinderella story. I'm curious if it was slow decline for the program in the years afterward because I don't recall the Knights achieving close to what they accomplished in '97.
85Champs

Re: The 1997 Knights had quite a ride

Postby footballkicker77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:52 pm

This a great article. I wasn't following high school football too closely at that time so I didn't know it was such a cinderella story. I'm curious if it was slow decline for the program in the years afterward because I don't recall the Knights achieving close to what they accomplished in '97.

Still can't believe they beat SP: while not as stacked as the 95 and 96 teams ( two teams who went 24-0) this was still a damn good team...
footballkicker77

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur