State Tourney Brackets: No Regions

post info & talk all things Football...

State Tourney Brackets: No Regions

Postby Rob Kennedy » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:15 pm

This from another thread intrigued me.

detatlock wrote: I would like to see North vs South done away with. Time for the MPA to develop a playoff system where the best two teams meet for state championships regardless of what part of the state they’re from!

So I figured out what the brackets would look like if we eliminated regions and just seeded by Heals. A couple of times where there were ties in points from teams not in the same division, I flipped a coin. I also went with 12 playoff teams in A and not 14, as it's easier to make brackets. The rest of the classes, the same number of playoff teams as now were included.

Outside of some long road trips in D in the first round (and some other potentially later) I don't hate it.

Class A

(1) Scarborough vs (8) South Portland / (9) Sanford
(4) Edward Little vs (5) Lewiston / (12) Deering
(2) Thornton Academy vs (7) Windham / (10) Cheverus
(3) Bonny Eagle vs (6) Oxford Hills / (11) Portland

Class B

(1) Marshwood vs (8) Cony / (9) Messalonskee
(4) Greely vs (5) Biddeford / (12) Brewer
(2) Kennebunk vs. (7) Lawrence / (10) Westbrook
(3) Falmouth vs (6) Skowhegan / (11) Gorham

Class C

(1) MDI vs (16) Medomak
(8) Oceanside vs (9) Gardiner
(4) Cape Elizabeth vs (13) Lake Region
(5) Fryeburg vs (12) York

(2) Leavitt vs (15) John Bapst
(7) Hermon vs (10) MCI
(3) Winslow vs (14) Waterville
(6) Nokomis vs (11) Morse

Class D

(1) Wells vs (16) Mt. View
(8) Spruce Mtn vs (9) Dexter
(4) Foxcroft vs (13) Oak Hill
(5) Bucksport vs. (12) Ellsworth

(2) Madison vs (15) Houlton
(7) Mattanawcook vs (10) Winthrop / Monmouth
(3) Lisbon vs (14) Old Orchard Beach
(6) Mountain Valley vs (11) Dirigo
Rob Kennedy

Re: State Tourney Brackets: No Regions

Postby joeschmoe2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:17 am

I like this a lot. My only concern is that the Geneva Convention would classify Wells vs. Mt. View as a war crime.
joeschmoe2

Postby JeJones » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

That format probably wouldn't have any North vs South state games. It might have the best teams in each class, though.
JeJones

Postby joeschmoe2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:04 pm

This is as close as football could get to my dream of a Hoosiers style open tournament for Maine High School Basketball.
joeschmoe2

Postby 85Champs » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:42 pm

There are only a few things I don't like about it.
One is the byes. Hate to see any teams have to go two weeks between games.

Second, I'd rather do a 9 game season instead of 8 which means a greater sample size plus an opportunity to play another opponent. We could have seen this year Windham /TA, Scarborough/Lewiston, BE/EL-okay maybe we didn't want to see those particular match ups but you know what I mean.

Third, make it 8 out of the 14 making playoffs. Still over 50% of teams make playoffs. 57% to be exact
Quarters
1:8
2:7
3:6
4:5

Semis-if higher seeds advance
1:4
2:3

State Game-if higher seeds advance
1:2

Seasons still ends week before Turkey Day.
85Champs

Postby AVEFAN » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 pm

This is a great idea. I see absolutely no faults with it. It is best for football (especially championship Sat.) to have the best 2 teams in each conference playing on the last day. Everyone still gets a shot at a title. Maybe the MPA will see it this way if we get 4 championship games with running time. How fun would it be to have a Scar/BE or TA match up, Marsh/Falmouth or Kennebunk. All toss up games.
AVEFAN

Postby dunbar » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:21 am

If there's anything we've learned from all the crossover games this past year, it's that good teams are good, and bad teams are just bad, and it has absolutely nothing to do with enrollment. The more classes you have, the more you dilute each class. Maybe it's time to consider going back to three classes with a Class D for the development league.
dunbar

Postby JeJones » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:06 pm

The four classes have been a great thing for Maine football. It's been a down year for North teams, but it isn't always the case. I think Class A could be one division. Sending the Portland teams north hasn't helped. I think the north wins as many as the south in the other divisions over the past 10-15 years. ( I haven't checked,though)
JeJones

Postby Rob Kennedy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:57 pm

JeJones wrote:The four classes have been a great thing for Maine football. It's been a down year for North teams, but it isn't always the case....... I think the north wins as many as the south in the other divisions over the past 10-15 years. ( I haven't checked,though)

You're pretty much right: outside of Class A, the theme of "one conference runs away with the titles" hasn't been the case. And current class A includes just 4 teams that weren't in the old A West anyway, so if (hypothetically) the South wins the lion's share of the 2017 titles, it may not be part of a larger, more long-term trend.

Since 2000:
Class B: 9 champs from teams who were representing the North/East, 8 from the South/West
Class C: 10 champs from S/W, 7 from N/E
Class D hasn't been around long enough to show any trends.
Rob Kennedy

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur