Class B Title - Marshwood vs Skowhegan 11/18

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Class B Title - Marshwood vs Skowhegan 11/18

Postby hoops88 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Again, JV offense vs. Varsity defense. You want leniency, put in your JV defense.

Not everyone gets a trophy here.
hoops88

Postby wings » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:16 pm

hoops88 wrote:Not everyone gets a trophy here.

With the 2/3 rule almost every team makes the playoffs, or 'gets a trophy'. A 9 game regular season and 4 playoff teams will add great incentive to offseason training and conditioning and a sense of urgency in regular season.

On this topic, hoops88 I'm almost certain you were on both ends of this scenario, possibly in multiple sports. Give the JV kids a bunch of spades, dig a hole and bury the football. Or maybe sink the spade into the football and take the air out of it. Just a guess, by taking a knee on the PAT that was coach Rotsko saying I should've buried the football. I'd guess if he had to replay, he would've buried the football himself.

We have good, caring coaches in Maine teaching and mentoring our youth and coach Rotsko is one them.
wings

Postby hoops88 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:29 pm

For all I know it could have been Truman detonating the A-bomb on a defeated Japan, just to show the Russians what we had in store for them. Haha, Speed would have liked that.

In my time in sports, back in the "Stranger Things" days, when one team put in subs, the other team immediately followed. And I was one of those subs, and I can tell you, I wasn't burying anything and neither were they.
hoops88

Postby Dan R » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm

JeJones wrote:So why throw a pass when you are up 57-20 late in the game? Then take a knee on the conversion? No need for either to happen. Too good a program for that.

I think most football knowledgeable people on here would agree that there is an unwritten rule that when one team recognizes the game is over and takes their starters out, the other team does likewise. That doesn't mean that the non-starters will lay down for the other team's non-starters, nor should they. You run plays to keep the clock moving. But, when you show mercy on a defeated opponent, and they still want to keep their big boys in, then all's fair in love and war as they say. Rotsko has shown nothing but class since he arrived at Marshwood. This is the first time I've seen him pull his starters and the other team didn't reciprocate. Measured effort also more easily leads to injuries.
Dan R

Postby JeJones » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:20 pm

There is no rule on what to do when you are up 37 in the 4th quarter. You put your subs in, why do you care what the other team does? How many teams throw the ball up 37 in the 4th? Even if you say they haven't subbed so let's play it like it's zero zero. You score and then take a knee, why not keep playing? Is 64 much worse than 63?
JeJones

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:14 am

Hawks 63, IndiansS 20: Hawks soar to 3rd Class B title in 4 years

...The Hawks (12-0) are Class B champions for the third time in four years after pulling away from Skowhegan, 63-20, in the title game at a soggy Fitzpatrick Stadium, scoring seven touchdowns on plays of 24 yards or longer.

“We knew what we were capable of,” said running back Kyle Glidden, who rushed for 141 yards on 13 carries, and caught and threw TD passes. “We have players all over the field who can make plays — at the wide receiver position, quarterback, backup fullback, wingback. We just went out there and made big plays.”

Starting linebacker Matt Goodwin, thrust into the game at fullback after Justin Bryant was sidelined, broke a pair of long runs, finishing with 124 yards and a touchdown on just four carries.

After some dicey moments in the first half and right after halftime, the Hawks put the hammer down and sprinted to the finish line on both sides of the ball.

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20171118/ ... in-4-years
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby Tom Nolette » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:16 am

Marshwood senior shines in return from illness

...Sidelined the week prior with mononucleosis, the senior wide receiver/defensive back learned only Thursday that he was clear to play in the state final against Skowhegan, and wound up playing a big role in the Hawks’ 63-20 win at Fitzpatrick Stadium.

“I’m so happy right now,” said Cartmill, who missed Marshwood’s 31-28 win over Falmouth in the Class B south championship game. “I was crushed that I wasn’t able to play (against Falmouth) but I was thinking positive all week that I’d be able to play — and look what happened.”

Cartmill put the Hawks up 14-0 when he caught a 33-yard touchdown pass from running back Kyle Glidden with 4:41 to go in the opening quarter.

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20171118/ ... om-illness
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby hoops88 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:28 pm

JeJones wrote:There is no rule on what to do when you are up 37 in the 4th quarter. You put your subs in, why do you care what the other team does? How many teams throw the ball up 37 in the 4th? Even if you say they haven't subbed so let's play it like it's zero zero. You score and then take a knee, why not keep playing? Is 64 much worse than 63?

Feels a little like a dead horse beating now. If you've never played sports there is no explaining it to you. A 15 year old JV sub who sees an opportunity for a big play when he gets into the State title game is not likely thinking geez I only need 8 yards to keep us on the field burning the clock I better not throw to my wide open receiver. Same way the receiver wasn't thinking geez I guess I proved my point let me take a knee at the one and not score a TD. If you keep your varsity defense in the game maybe try not to get burned by the JV offense. Unrealistic to think any JV team would pass that up.
hoops88

Postby Tomahawk86 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:34 am

It sure did seem like Marshwood was trying to run up the score. They went for two to go up 50-20. They may have gone for two after that. I really don't remember. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other coach for not only for being a great team, having a great coaching staff, game plan and sportsmanship. That was not the case for Coach Rotsko and the Marshwood Hawks the other day in regards to sportsmanship. Scarborough on the other hand did. They could have beat Windham 80/90-0 and called off the dogs.
Tomahawk86

Postby hoops88 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:57 pm

Tomahawk86 wrote:It sure did seem like Marshwood was trying to run up the score. They went for two to go up 50-20. They may have gone for two after that. I really don't remember. Sometimes you have to tip your hat to the other coach for not only for being a great team, having a great coaching staff, game plan and sportsmanship. That was not the case for Coach Rotsko and the Marshwood Hawks the other day in regards to sportsmanship. Scarborough on the other hand did. They could have beat Windham 80/90-0 and called off the dogs.

Jesus dude, I don't know your story since you just signed up here a few weeks ago, but try not to completely make up false stories. It was 35-20 with 10 minutes left in the 3rd quarter after a 94 yard pass for TD by Skowhegan. Marshwood then scored to make it 41-20 and went for 2 to make it 43-20. That was the last time they went for 2 and made complete sense at the time considering Skowhegan had two long yardage scores to get right back into it.

Pretty sad dude that you would lie and try to disparage a good program. Easy to hate anonymously huh?
hoops88

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur