Class B Title - Marshwood vs Skowhegan 11/18

post info & talk all things Football...

Class B Title - Marshwood vs Skowhegan 11/18

Postby Tom Nolette » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:49 am

Who do you have winning this one and why ?

Radio Broadcast / Audio Stream : 92.7 Maine's Big Z/ Sports Time Maine AM 780 and online/mobile listening options at http://www.mbrradio.com

Tentative Schedule (Subject to official times)

Saturday (Portland)
Class B Title
Marshwood vs Skowhegan*
Anouncers: Russ Thompson/Dave Wing
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Re: Class B Title - Marshwood vs Skowhegan 11/18

Postby NEfan1321 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:16 am

Tom Nolette wrote:Who do you have winning this one and why ?

Skowhegan will be the underdog for sure for several reasons:
- Marshwood has been dominant all year, Marshwood beat Skowhegan in opening game of the season by a huge Margin and Skowhegans Defense (in the regular season) was very suspect to the run and physical play.
BUT, thats why they play the game..
Both teams have earned their way here, good luck to both teams (ill be rooting for the black and orange for the upset).
NEfan1321

Postby AVEFAN » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:58 am

I believe Marshwood will win this game but without Springer at QB it does become a little more interesting. Yes I know Marshwood runs the ball first and you may think it does not matter who hands the ball off. Marshwoods #1 play is belly with the FB (who is a very good runner). Then when teams start collapsing for the FB they run their #2 favorite play belly keep with Springer. (ask Kennebunk) Springer also has been very effective throwing the ball. I know they have other options like Glidden but everyhing starts with belly and belly keep. Perhaps Skowhegan has a little less to worry about without the QB run or pass threat. Again I believe the Hawks will prevail but hoping for a competitive game.
AVEFAN

Postby Firestarter85 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:18 pm

skowhegan 36-30

people think skowhegan hasnt improved since week one ? that defense is very good now. they just shut out lawrence after giving up 54 to them the first time. same could happen with marshwood. no qb is a huuuuuge deal at this time of the year. indians shock everyone on saturday night !
Firestarter85

Postby Rob Kennedy » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:12 pm

Firestarter85 wrote:skowhegan 36-30

people think skowhegan hasnt improved since week one ? that defense is very good now.

They definitely have improved. At the same time, it's a tough ask to say that a) they've improved 50+ points, which is what they lost to last time, and b) Marshwood hasn't likewise improved, despite currently missing guys with injuries.

they just shut out lawrence after giving up 54 to them the first time.

The Bulldogs are a pretty mediocre team. BUT--the defensive improvement is what is important. If people think Skowhegan could win, that's what they should hope for--that Skowhegan did indeed figure out how to play defense overall, not just against forgettable B North teams like Brewer and Lawrence. If they indeed have, they have a legit shot to beat Marshwood.

same could happen with marshwood. no qb is a huuuuuge deal at this time of the year.

What I'm interested in more than who is at QB is seeing the battle of the lines. Honestly, this is where I think the game gets won; can Skowhegan match the physicality? Is that why the defense is better? If it is, does that translate to both sides of the ball? If so, it bodes well. If not, well....the Hawks won't need Springer to run through bus-sized holes and score a bunch of points.

At the same time, Springer's loss will have an impact, especially if the FAL game is an indication, as they did turn to the air when they got into Yachtsmen territory. I'm also not sure that Caverly isn't a kid who can come in and lead that team either.

indians shock everyone on saturday night !

Maybe. Not expecting it. But maybe. I don't have a vested interest, but I'm fascinated by this game just because Skowhegan gave up so many points earlier in the season, and that was unsustainable. If that defense has truly turned it around, it'll be one of the most dramatic fixes ever.
Last edited by Rob Kennedy on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Kennedy

Postby Tackletrap » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 pm

Bahahaha !!! I dont think I have seen any posts saying Skowhegan has not improved since week one. Their fefense has obviously improved. No doubt a lot of good work done and adjustments during the bye week. I do think if Marshwood has lost their starting qb that with the offense they run out that it will have far less of an impact than if Skow. lost theirs. Not one to place hate or dislike upon high school kids and can admit, Skow's qb is a stud. I think will be better than last year's. We will see. Just want to kick back Saturday and see four good games. Of course I am rooting for the North and to be honest, Class B wise would not break my heart to see Skow win big (I know, I know firesyarter, you may be surprised), but I have heard enough of how weak Class B North is, and I would root for the North regardless of who represents. I think MCI is the most impressive of teams playing Saturday. Had to move up a class, went in #6 and knocked off Winslow and MDI. A great story.
Tackletrap

Postby vikes » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Skowhegan has improved on defense and I do hope they can give marshwood a game ,but being a Brunswick fan I have seen marshwood too many times in this situation very well-coached , fundamentally strong and play disciplined football, I think marshwood 38 skowhegan20 good luck to both teams
vikes

Postby Tom Nolette » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:45 am

MS football notes: Skowhegan's improved defense

....Entering the playoffs, Skowhegan faced a tough question: Could it stand up defensively in the Pine Tree Conference Class B tournament? After a pair of dominant defensive efforts in wins over Brewer and Lawrence, the answer is yes.

Skowhegan beat Brewer, 18-13, in the semifinals, before taking a 23-0 win over Lawrence in the conference championship. These games were a huge turnaround for a team that allowed 299 points in the regular season, including more than 50 points four times.

Skowhegan’s defensive improvement can be seen when comparing Friday’s 23-0 win over Lawrence with the 58-56 win over Lawrence in the regular season.

To wit:

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/11/13/ ... ayoff-run/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

Postby FriNiteLights » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 am

Marshwood going for its third championship in four years. Minimize penalties and turnovers, a pounding running attack, a stout defense all season. Go Hawks!
FriNiteLights

Postby coffee6083 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:20 am

I am hoping for a well played competitive ball game between these two teams. If Marshwood wins it will be the expected results. If Skowhegan wins it will be an upset. I will be cheering for the orange and black. I think what makes this game interesting is the improvement on both sides of the ball that Skowhegan has made over the season. I would like to extend my congratulations to Coach Libby and his staff for the hard work they have done this season to make this team a contender. With coach Libby being appointed interim Coach just 3 weeks before the regular season started I think this is a major accomplishment, I hope the title "Interim" gets removed soon.

I know the Hawks will be a very well prepared opponent but I think Skowhegan will be too. After all coming into the game as heavy underdogs what does Skowhegan have to lose, open up the offense and let it fly. Don't be conservative. Let's have fun and pull off the upset. Good luck Indians make us proud.
coffee6083

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur