A COLD FRIDAY NIGHT IN NOVEMBER

post info & talk all things Football...

A COLD FRIDAY NIGHT IN NOVEMBER

Postby TAallday » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:16 am

Hey all,

What could be the difference in these Friday night and Saturday morning games coming up? It will be FREEZING on Friday and Saturday.

Who steps up that we don't know? What are some interesting wrinkles that could come out? Who comes out on top?
TAallday

Re: A COLD FRIDAY NIGHT IN NOVEMBER

Postby Tomahawk86 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:24 pm

I think you see all teams will show up to play. Every single one of these games could have multiple endings and outcomes.

To me...the home teams always have the advantage. I see some clear favorites in a couple games:

Cape Elizabeth over Gardiner
Marshwood over Falmouth (and every other team Class B and lower for a matter of fact).
MDI over MCI
Wells over Madison (though I predicted Madison to win I think Wells is unbelievable and a heavy favorite). Just imagine that this could have been the Class C championship, but both teams were re-classed to Class D this year.

The rest of the games should and could go either way. I think you see at least one or two upsets.
Tomahawk86

Postby Blackbear27 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:01 pm

Only you "taallday" would think of the cold. Your a mary..... Oh its so cold. Its game time tool. You are a leave it to beaver whimp.
Blackbear27

Postby TAallday » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:32 am

Coming from a dude saying that on a messageboard...haha
TAallday

Postby Rob Kennedy » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:58 am

Blackbear27 wrote:Only you "taallday" would think of the cold. Your a mary..... Oh its so cold. Its game time tool. You are a leave it to beaver whimp.

Post of the day. Nobody try to top this. It's erudition, logic and wisdom has set an impossible standard to match.

And he's right. Neither cold nor weather much matter when it comes to football games, and nobody remembers such things years (or decades) later.
Rob Kennedy

Postby Details » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:59 am

Rob Kennedy wrote:Post of the day. Nobody try to top this. It's erudition, logic and wisdom has set an impossible standard to match.

LOL
Details

Postby CFJunior » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:19 am

Tomahawk86 wrote:I think you see all teams will show up to play. Every single one of these games could have multiple endings and outcomes.

To me...the home teams always have the advantage. I see some clear favorites in a couple games:

Cape Elizabeth over Gardiner
Marshwood over Falmouth (and every other team Class B and lower for a matter of fact).
MDI over MCI
Wells over Madison (though I predicted Madison to win I think Wells is unbelievable and a heavy favorite). Just imagine that this could have been the Class C championship, but both teams were re-classed to Class D this year.

The rest of the games should and could go either way. I think you see at least one or two upsets.

How could the Wells/Madison been the Class C title game? Even if they both stay up in Class C, I doubt both advance to play in the Class C State title game. Now if Madison had stayed in North Class D they would have played Wells for the Class D state title.
CFJunior

Postby footballphan » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:34 am

Goodness does it look cold for tomorrow night. Not only that, but periods of sustained winds too. Could be a HUGE factor in the pass game. Although, I know I'll be called a sissy for pointing that out!
footballphan

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:51 am

footballphan wrote:Goodness does it look cold for tomorrow night. Not only that, but periods of sustained winds too. Could be a HUGE factor in the pass game. Although, I know I'll be called a sissy for pointing that out!

Anyone who wants to call me a sissy, mary, sally or whatever is welcomed to it. I don't care what anyone thinks, I hate being cold. I will probably be miserable outside, but I would't miss it for the world.

Being able to withstand cold weather doesn't necessarily qualify you as a man/fan/superhero/etc.... The cold will affect the game and game plan, whoever doesn't think so is either numb or isn't thinking clearly. Young men, especially today, are much "softer" than the football before helmets days. The cold will get to some of them, if not physically, psychologically. End of story.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby HolidayInn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:01 pm

A voice of reason! I’ve experienced playing in cold. There are always exceptions, but a survey of people who have would most likely result in it sucks and they only did because they had to. Players have to deal with it, but no doubt would rather play during decent weather. The cold and wind will have an impact on games. Same hold true for any weather condition (rain, excessive heat, etc.).
I have no idea where the thought process of having to deal with cold weather translates into toughness. There are people I know that hate the cold, but I still wouldn’t challenge them to a fight.
HolidayInn

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur