Class A South final: Scarborough 49, Thornton Academy 7

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Class A State Championship game - Friday night @ Scarbor

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:49 pm

HSSports1224 wrote:Labreck,
South is going to roll the class A championship but I get what Holliday is saying, there have been so many games this year that are so unpredictable. I would have never guessed Scarb was going to smoke BE.

I'm not sure if you saw something I said to give you the impression that I thought the North couldn't play with anyone in the South. Actually, I'm a firm believer in Murphy's Law, and it's reared its ugly head a couple of times this season for TA. I agree that the outcome is unpredictable regardless of who plays from the North. Not to mention that since Moss took over at QB for Portland, they've made quite the turn around. I definitely have a south bias, but I'm not naive to think that it could be anyone's game. Regardless, THIS week's game is what's important right now.

With that, I love the prediction. I just wish it were that easy.

I am hopeful, but unsure. Scarborough looks great right now and if it becomes a game of "pounding the rock", I fear that Scarborough has the advantage.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby TAallday » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:59 pm

This game is just so unpredictable in my mind. I think TA will need a break or two while Scarborough just needs to not give those types of breaks up.

Scarborough really only beat TA through the air for two big plays in the first match up that I remember and man, TA has improved on defense since then. Scarborough offense has surely improved too, so it should be a good game.

TA has to avoid getting down like they did in the first match up though. I don't think that kind of comeback will happen this time around.
TAallday

Postby miked » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 pm

Scarborough has the better QB, better RB, better receivers, better line. How does TA wins this?? Oh yeah because the TA fans think they are better than anyone. I'm sure when the picks come out in the Portland Press all will pick the Red Storm. This is quite a mismatch and TA will come down to reality. Scarborough 35 TA 6
miked

Postby TAallday » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:56 pm

To answer your question, they would win if they score more points than Scarborough.

Pretty sure the PPH all picked BE last week too. What is your excuse for that one?
TAallday

Postby TADuckBoats » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:31 pm

by TAallday » 09 Nov 2017 19:56
To answer your question, they would win if they score more points than Scarborough.

Pretty sure the PPH all picked BE last week too. What is your excuse for that one?

LOVE that comeback TA!!!

Since miked NEVER makes excuses for BE I guess he has to admit that TA is just better!!!

Even one of the BE coaches admits that the final score did NOT reflect how dominant TA was in that game last week because they gave BE a couple of gift TDs and also fumbled inside the 5 on their first drive. Take those away and its a blowout!
TADuckBoats

Postby Details » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:05 pm

HSSports1224 wrote:I agree ta won 41-0 but that game was much closer then that. Ta scored on a last second interception before half to make it 14-0, without that that game is 7-0 at half.

Just for the record, I do not have two login names! LOL
Details

Postby rock33 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:31 pm

miked wrote:Scarborough has the better QB, better RB, better receivers, better line. How does TA wins this?? Oh yeah because the TA fans think they are better than anyone. I'm sure when the picks come out in the Portland Press all will pick the Red Storm. This is quite a mismatch and TA will come down to reality. Scarborough 35 TA 6

They win the same way they did earlier this year against Scarborough. You do remember you picked the Storm to beat TA in the first game right? Besides, you said BE would be in this game, not TA. Get used to it Miked, this program will continue being one of the best for years to come. Must suck being you!
rock33

Postby TAallday » Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:31 pm

Next year it’ll be, “Flaker too fast, will run for 630 yards and bury TA 63-0.”
TAallday

Postby mainebasketballguy2 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Personally, I think on paper, Scarborough should win. They have the experience at the key positions and depth throughout their roster on both sides of the ball. This is the year they've been banking on. TA has a great roster also, just doesn't have the depth it has had for the past few years. They have 2 gamechanging playmakers, but overall do not seem to match up. But.........you have to factor in a couple things. First, coaching. Advantage TA, and it's not even close and no one will tell me anything different. This is not a knock on the Scarborough coaches, just a confirmation of the experience on the TA sideline. And of course, Scarborough has the pressure of trying to beat their rival, and that was VERY evident in the first game. Having their starting center back will eliminate what seemed like an endless wave of poor snaps for the Storm in the last game, and could very well make the difference tomorrow night. Will Scarborough tighten up if the game is close? Will the weather have an impact? I think we could have another slugfest on our hands, but something tells me the Red Storm will get over the hump in a close game, but will pull away late.
mainebasketballguy2

Postby Tom Nolette » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:51 am

Scarborough, Thornton ready for showdown
The No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the state meet Friday night in the Class A South final.

...But Scarborough senior quarterback Zoltan Panyi remembers his team lost three fumbles, had several other recovered fumbles that derailed drives, coughed up a lead, and couldn’t contain Thornton receiver CJ LaBreck (eight catches, 216 yards).

“This is kind of like a revenge thing,” Panyi said. “They took us down in the regular season, so now let’s take them down when it matters.”

Both teams have clearly improved since that Week 3 game.

It’s worth noting Thornton also had three turnovers that night. Against Bonny Eagle, with JV quarterback Kobe Gaudette starting in place of Will Mitchell, the Trojans were crisp and efficient on offense and didn’t commit a turnover.

Mitchell, who missed the Bonny Eagle game for undisclosed reasons, is expected to be the starting quarterback Friday night. Whoever is behind center, they’ll be trying to get the ball to elusive Anthony Bracamonte (493 rushing yards; 401 receiving yards) and LaBreck (37 catches, 551 yards).

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/11/09/f ... -showdown/
Tom Nolette
Founder / Owner
MBR.ORG, LLC
Tom Nolette
owner

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur