Class A (Conference Finals - Pick Em')

post info & talk all things Football...

Class A (Conference Finals - Pick Em')

Postby TAallday » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:33 pm

Here is the conference final slate for Class A.

What a weekend we just had and hopefully, we have another weekend full of great games statewide.

A North:

#6 Portland @ #4 Windham

A South:

#2 Thornton Academy @ #1 Scarborough
TAallday

Re: Class A (Conference Finals - Pick Em')

Postby TAallday » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:35 pm

My Picks for the Conference Final Games:

Last Week: 2-2…South all right, North all wrong…
Season Record: 44-21

A North:
Portland (3-7): The Dogs have something special going. I have them in my top ten due to their momentum and the play of Moss at QB and Safety. Can they win this one and maybe put a scare into the Southern juggernauts next Saturday? Windham is no slouch, I just don't know how healthy they are.

A South:
Thornton Academy (3-7): The Trojans are amped now. TA has never lost on the Storm’s home field. These two squared off earlier in the year. It all comes down to turnovers and big plays, just like last time. TA squeezes into the state game to face the Dogs on the back on their defense, which has been really playing some stellar football.
TAallday

Postby Archer Bunker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:15 pm

I went 3-1 last week which puts me at 47-17 overall.

My picks this week.......

Portland over Windham 28-21
Scarborough over Thornton 31-28

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby TAallday » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:08 pm

I’ll post some more evaluation once I know who’s starting for TA at QB, which should be tomorrow.
TAallday

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:52 am

Some things TA did against BE that I think can carry over into a good game plan against Scarborough.

-The short pass game was HUGE.
-Cam Houde anchors the defense and is used, along with Heiman, in some unique blitz plays.
-CJ Labreck played with FIRE on Saturday. He should have lots of confidence going into this game. I liked seeing him get some touches out of the backfield too.
-BRACAMONTE...what a game. If you just watch the tape, this kid was a stud al day. He made so many plays. Just get him the ball in space.
TAallday

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:37 am

-BRACAMONTE...what a game. If you just watch the tape, this kid was a stud al day. He made so many plays. Just get him the ball in space.

Or in traffic... JUST GET HIM THE BALL!!! The kid did a great job making people miss and turning a seemingly dead play into something productive and electric.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:25 am

Agreed. The kid is electric. In general, Scarborough was beaten by us last time down the middle. I think they will try and single cover Anthony over the middle to cut off that short pass game. That might open up CJ over the middle as well as the TE.

We shall see, but I feel pretty confident that we can move the ball. Defense has to play very well and keep Scarborough in front of them.
TAallday

Postby 85Champs » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:30 am

4-0 last week. 43-21 for season.

This week's games:
Friday @ 6pm Portland at Windham
As mush as I would love to see a 2-6 team hosting the state game( oops now 4-6) with Portland I think Windham prevails in this one with a non-controversial field goal as time expires 21-20.

Friday @ 7pm Thornton Academy at Scarborough
This should be the state game match up but that's another argument for another day. Storm have more prolific offense than BE did so limiting possessions by TA will be key. Trojans have to keep Storm under 25 points to win. Win over Scots was huge for TA's confidence and have two reliable QB's they can depend on. It will be cold Friday night so watch for fumbles. Have to get pressure on Panyi and cover Lagerquist like a blanket. Bracamonte is the key to TA's offense. If he runs wild and Labreck gets cooking TA should win. If Mitchell is cleared to play I'm starting him. He obviously was the starter all season for a reason and played great most of the season.
TA 25 Scarborough 24
85Champs

Postby TAallday » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:00 am

I just cannot wait for the TA vs. Scarborough game Friday.

These two teams have a solid rivalry cooking and it should be an awesome game.

My Keys to the Game:

For TA:
*Offense:
-Get the ball into the hands of Labreck and Bracamonte, those dudes make plays.
-Establish the run
-No turnovers
-Block like you did against BE
*Defense:
-Penetration by Montano and Palmer is HUGE. If you can disrupt Scarborough's timing, you have a shot at slowing them down.
-Keep everything in front. Bend but don't break defense.
-Continue to mix in the blitz and odd-front pressures that help slow BE down.

For Scarborough:
*Offense:
-Pound the rock with the best RB in Maine, Garrard.
-Execute snaps and keep timing crisp.
-No turnovers
-Take some shots down the middle of the field with Lagerquist and the other excellent WR's.
-Block for Panyi. Last year in the SM Final, Panyi was constantly under pressure.
*Defense:
-Stop the TA run on early downs
-Make a couple of plays in the defensive backfield
-Pressure TA and throw off their timing.

Overall, both teams are pretty similar. I think TA has the better defense and Scarborough has the more potent offense, but really, this game is a toss-up. Either team could win. I see another instant classic brewing.
TAallday

Postby RedStorm26 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 am

Excellent analysis. I think that hits it right on. I expect a good old fashioned slugfest.
I'll only add some context on the first match up. Most people may not realize that Scarborough was playing with their third string center who never played the position before this year. Scarborough had at least three fumbles in their own end as a result of that inexperience and multiple procedure penalties as well. It was messing up the timing all night and giving TA a short field which got into the heads of the 16 and 17-year-olds and the wheels came off in the fourth quarter. Much credit to TA for never giving up and attacking for the win. Scarborough now has their senior center captain back and the timing has been outstanding since then. I will say that in the Bonny eagle game Panyi was only three for eight passing and all five incompletions looked to be the result of pressure by the BE line. Of course the other three passes went for long touchdowns. I would be shocked if TA doesn't take their chances and come up with some blitz packages to try to put pressure on him and force them to keep the tight end in to block more. Of course blitzing can take you out of position to stop the run game including Flaker getting to the outside, but you can't risk giving Panyi time and a rhythm.
On defense Scarborough in the last game basically had Lagerquist (LB) spying on Brocamonte and he has the speed to contain him. If you look at the stats from the game Brocamonte did very little as a result. However it also took him out of position in the fourth quarter when TA was constantly running Labreck on a crossing route. Scarborough had a safety over the top on him but that safety was playing way too close to the line while the corner was giving him 10 yards even with the help over the top. I don't expect Scarborough to make those mistakes again.
RedStorm26

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur