Could Marshwood win Class A?

post info & talk all things Football...

Could Marshwood win Class A?

Postby CFJunior » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 am

I recently watched some game film of Marshwood and I believe they are talented enough to beat any of the top Class A teams. That is why they are #3 in my latest top ten poll.
CFJunior

Re: Could Marshwood win Class A?

Postby Archer Bunker » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:19 am

No they would not. They are very talented but they would not beat any of the top 3 teams which is Scarborough, Thornton and Bonny Eagle. That is why I have Bonny Eagle 3rd and Marshwood 4th as they would not beat Bonny Eagle.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby Dan R » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:48 pm

Archer Bunker wrote:No they would not. They are very talented but they would not beat any of the top 3 teams which is Scarborough, Thornton and Bonny Eagle. That is why I have Bonny Eagle 3rd and Marshwood 4th as they would not beat Bonny Eagle.

AB

We'll never know the answer to this one. More often than not, the best Class A team is probably better than the best Class B team. That being said, I remember the same discussion being brought up in regard to Marshwood back in 1988 when they went unchallenged, undefeated, and beat a good Bucksport team 32-6. The following year the question was answered when Marshwood moved up to Class A with a Class B enrollment, ran the table, and brought the gold ball back to Eliot. I say they could beat any of the top 3 in the fan polls.
Dan R

Postby Tomahawk86 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:44 pm

Great question. All I have to say in my subjective opinion is...

Abel Schultz, Steve Knight and Rod Wotten!!! Marshwood is a fantastic program and I suppose if they played all 3 of those teams (Scarborough, TA, BE) they probably would be 1-2. Meaning in the right situation they probably COULD win Class A. But to get through all 3 or even two of the three in a row would be quite the stretch.
Tomahawk86

Postby interloper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Tomahawk86 wrote:Great question. All I have to say in my subjective opinion is...

Abel Schultz, Steve Knight and Rod Wotten!!! Marshwood is a fantastic program and I suppose if they played all 3 of those teams (Scarborough, TA, BE) they probably would be 1-2. Meaning in the right situation they probably COULD win Class A. But to get through all 3 or even two of the three in a row would be quite the stretch.

This is a good point. The playoffs in A are normally much tougher than in other classes. A few years ago I talked to Gerry Durgin, the former Gorham AD, and he said the biggest challenge for them when they went to A was how difficult all of the play off games are in A compared to B. In 2009 when TA won the state A basketball championship there were many people who thought Camden Hills, which was the B champion that year, was the better team. Maybe they were, I don't think so, but I am a huge TA homer. I do not remember whom they beat in the playoffs but to get out of the west we had to beat Deering, Cheverus and Portland and then beat Edward Little in the state championship game. I do not think the teams that Camden beat were on the same caliber.
In A you have to be ready for almost every playoff game. I thought the team we had in 2008 was better than the team that won in 2009. We lost to Cheverus in the regional final and I think we had an off game that night. However in 2009 I thought Cheverus was better than us and I think they had a sub par night in the regional semi.
Winning a state championship is difficult, regardless of the class and regardless of how good you are.
interloper

Postby RedStorm26 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:01 pm

I'm a Scarborough parent so take that as my bias up front.

Marshwood is a great team with great coaching but the biggest difference between the top A and B teams tends to be the size and depth. Scarborough's offensive line is athletic and the smallest guy goes 240. And two outstanding players go 6'6" 307 (Reed) and 6'7" 250 (Griffin). Both are getting college interest. Plus the skill guys are impressive. The QB (Panyi) is 6'4", fast, can throw darts and is drawing some D1/2 interest. The lead RB (Garrard) goes 230 and he is fast and a bulldozer. The flanker back (Flaker) is literally the fastest player in Maine and a nationally ranked sprinter. The receivers (Dudley, Kelley and Seme) are all very good and two previously were all-conference. And the TE (Lagerquist) is over 6'4", faster than most receivers, averages 37 yards a catch on the season and is set to play D1 lacrosse at Dartmouth.
I have no doubt Marshwood, plus Falmouth and Kennebunk, would be competitive. But over the course of 48 minutes, I just don't see them hanging on barring perfect execution plus mistakes by Scar. Which is always possible.
RedStorm26

Postby TAallday » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:36 pm

I think Marshwood could compete and win. Maybe they beat the top teams 2-10 times or even 3/4-10, but I do think they could beat them. No team this year is invincible by any stretch.

Heck, TA goes to Sanford one week and has a scary game...0-0 entering the fourth...and then beats BE after a bye week.

BE pounds TA one week and then gets smacked by Scarborough a few weeks later.

High school kids are a bit erratic in their performance and if there’s one thing Marshwood has been, its consistent. They have a big line too, lots of speed, and great coaching. Who knows.
TAallday

Postby HolidayInn » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:46 pm

Maybe the question should be “ Why hasn’t Marshwood chosen to move back to A”. Maybe this would be a step towards minimizing large variance games.
HolidayInn

Postby interloper » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:50 pm

Marshwood. Kennebunk, Brunswick, etc. are happy where they are. The only team that applies up to A is Cheverus and they probably wouldn't mind dropping to B in football. Of course if they drop, some of those football kids would not transfer to Cheverus.
interloper

Postby Rams1998 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:08 am

This year? Yes.
Rams1998

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur