Fitzpatrick Award 2017

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Fitzpatrick Award 2017

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 am

Mainesportsfan123 wrote:Kyle Glidden, Joey Cassella, and Derek Smith are ll better players than Jack Bryant... The offense runs through the quarterback position so much that he is obviously going to have great stats but he certainly does not pass any eye test. There are much better quarterbacks throughout the state. Panyi being one example

Isn't Joey Cassella a Junior?

So I did some digging based on a hunch, and found some stats that might change some of your minds (or may not, who knows).

BE does a good job of putting their player stats up on Maxpreps: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/bonny-eagle-scots-(standish,me)/football/stats.htm

Alex Sprague (#23), is quite the "unsung hero" of BE. This young man has 1157 total yards and 17 touchdowns in 7 games. I won't get into the particulars, but he is leading the team in scoring by far. The next closest is Nick Thorne with 10. AND on defense, Mr Sprague is one tackle (39) behind Thorne (40) and third on the team. He rushes, returns punts and kicks, caught two passes for TDs and plays really good defense. If anyone is a candidate on BE, I think it should be Sprague.

For the record, I assumed it would be Thorne just based on his body of work over the last couple of years. But Sprague lead BE in touchdowns last year (22) and was second in total yards (1263), behind Cam Day who threw the ball for 807 yards. I think this kid deserves a look.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby AVEFAN » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:19 am

Yes both Joey and Derek Smith are juniors. 75% of the Kennebunk starters are juniors.
AVEFAN

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:24 am

AVEFAN wrote:Yes both Joey and Derek Smith are juniors. 75% of the Kennebunk starters are juniors.

Right, my point was that they can't be eligible for nominations for Fitzy as Juniors. They shouldn't have been mentioned in this conversation.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby HolidayInn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:41 am

I agree with what you are saying. This is an example of what I mentioned before. Only one per Team and all classes combined now doesn’t get to best players in state. One of BE players won’t be listed, but a player from another team with less accomplishments will (???). Also, supports what I mentioned earlier. Committee WILL take into consideration the BE.candidate had other strong players on team. BE should walk away with this award regardless of candidate, but we shall see.
HolidayInn

Postby baseballdad16 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:07 am

Without having a place to compare stats and accomplishments of all players I'm not sure how anyone (other than the selection committee) can compare anyone. Sure their are bits and pieces of data out there but nothing all encompassing. Example: you can go to MaxPreps to get complete career statistics for some teams but not every team uses MaxPreps.
baseballdad16

Postby AVEFAN » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:12 am

Agreed that juniors are not eligible and need not be mentioned.
AVEFAN

Postby TAallday » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:18 pm

Labreck,

Nice analysis on Sprague vs. Thorne. I really enjoy that kind of stuff.

That being said, there is just something about Thorne that makes him more valuable to his team and more devastating. I think it is just his approach and style of play really, and the duration he has done it for. Man, your points and the stats are strong though.

I'll stand by my pick of Thorne from BE, but Sprague is certainly deserving.
TAallday

Postby Details » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:19 pm

TAallday wrote:Labreck,

Nice analysis on Sprague vs. Thorne. I really enjoy that kind of stuff.

That being said, there is just something about Thorne that makes him more valuable to his team and more devastating. I think it is just his approach and style of play really, and the duration he has done it for. Man, your points and the stats are strong though.

I'll stand by my pick of Thorne from BE, but Sprague is certainly deserving.

I'm with you TAallday. I can appreciate the numbers that Sprague put up, but I saw his name scoring too many of those TD's when the score was 48-7 already. While Sprague scored PLENTY when games weren't out of reach as well, I think the difference-maker is Thorne. I'd judge him as their best player. He may not have the best stats.
Details

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:08 am

Look what I found on page 3... No clear-cut winners this year I'm guessing.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby bballmom30 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:24 pm

footballphan wrote:We have to remember that grades/character are a component as well!

From B North:
Pelletier from Messo
Roddy/Sousa from Cony
Barnes/Bell from Skowhegan

Those are the handful that stick out that are seniors

Barnes (Skow) was #1 in B North with over 760 yards receiving.
Roddy (Cony) was #2 with almost 600 yards receiving.
Bell (Skow) was # 3.
Sousa (Cony) was #4.
bballmom30

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur