Fitzpatrick Award 2017

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: Fitzpatrick Award 2017

Postby TheSwarm » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Could someone please explain to me how this process works? From what i can gather one player from each team gets nominated. Who nominates the kid from each team, the coaches? What happens from there on? Just curious.
thanks,
TheSwarm

Postby Details » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:20 pm

TheSwarm wrote:Could someone please explain to me how this process works? From what i can gather one player from each team gets nominated. Who nominates the kid from each team, the coaches? What happens from there on? Just curious.
thanks,

Those of us here on MBR vote on it. There is no other way that has any real merit.

:)
Details

Postby Rob Kennedy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm

TheSwarm wrote:Could someone please explain to me how this process works? From what i can gather one player from each team gets nominated. Who nominates the kid from each team, the coaches? What happens from there on? Just curious.
thanks,

I forget the nominating process. The rest (outside of the parenthesis, as you'll soon see) is how it works after that.

Post nomination, the overall list of players is pared down by the Fitzpatrick Committee, which was/is led by Jack Dawson, a long time former coach (and a bunch of other people, but nobody seems to ever be able to name who they are). Said committee selects 12 (or sometimes 13 if they get in a bind) semifinalists. They then release the entire list of semifinalists to the public (allowing people the opportunity to launch an Inquisition, speculating how good football players may have had issues with grades or character that may have caused them to be omitted from the list).

From there, select members of the media (usually writers from daily newspapers and members of TV sports departments, regardless of how many games those people have actually seen--leaving several much more qualified people outside the process) vote for their top 3. The top 3 vote-getters are then invited to a pretty cool ceremony when the winner is announced.

(Overall I like this ceremony and think highly of the award itself, but obviously I find some flaws in the way they go about selecting the finalists).
Last edited by Rob Kennedy on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Kennedy

Postby Port88 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I agree with TAallday.

My Top 3 guys this year are Thorne, Jack Bryant, and Garrard.

Thorne is the best player and a three year starter for the best team in the state. Enough said.

Bryant is a stud, dual threat QB who has fueled a high powered offense for three years. He has had great production playing in the most competitive conference in the State.

Garrard is only a two year starter but he has been a force in those two years. He is big, strong, explosive and a top performer for another top notch Class A program.

There are lot of other great players who deserve consideration but if you are looking at career/senior year production and overall impact on their teams and conferences, these guys really stand out to me too.
Port88

Postby Mainesportsfan123 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 pm

Kyle Glidden, Joey Cassella, and Derek Smith are ll better players than Jack Bryant... The offense runs through the quarterback position so much that he is obviously going to have great stats but he certainly does not pass any eye test. There are much better quarterbacks throughout the state. Panyi being one example
Mainesportsfan123

Postby Mainesportsfan123 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:02 pm

He also only plays one side of the ball. Defense is a huge factor in deciding who is the best player in the state and it should be taken into consideration for this award.
Mainesportsfan123

Postby 23dive » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:33 am

@Mainesportsfan123:

I'm not sure where you got your stats from, but I've watched most, if not all Falmouth games for the past two years and I can guarantee you Bryant has not thrown 12 INTs against marshwood in four games, 12 interceptions in his entire career is more likely. Please don't throw false stats at us to make your case.
23dive

Postby Mainesportsfan123 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:18 am

My fault for not checking the stats, i felt he had thrown ints in the most recent game.
Game stats for the 4 games against them

2-6, 24 yards, no turnovers... 22-20 win
3 ints, 1 fumble... 48-22 loss
4 ints (3 by the same player) and 1 fumble... 38-8 loss
5-13, 63 yards, no turnovers... 42-19 loss

All of these games were 1vs2/3 seeded teams... Quarterbacks must be great in big time games.

He has great skill position players who torch bad teams because they can't play fast enough. I think he's a good player don't get me wrong, but this is what divides fitzpatrick award nominees.
Mainesportsfan123

Postby 23dive » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:10 am

You're absolutely right he's had some poor games against Marahwood, but unlike those other three guys he has been a standout player for 3 years, another important aspect when determining the award. Bryant has also put up some huge numbers in big wins this year against Biddeford and Messo, while also putting up 34 points against Kennebunk. That's 22 points more than they've given up to anyone else all year. I understand what you are saying, but from a stats and career standpoint, I think he's a bit more deserving than the other three guys you mentioned.
23dive

Postby footballphan » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:57 am

Saw Bryant against Cony this year...he's a very, very talented QB. Not sure how the rest of his season has gone, apparently he had at least one bad game, but he's the best QB I've seen in Class B this year.
footballphan

PreviousNext

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur