Fitzpatrick Award 2017

post info & talk all things Football...

Fitzpatrick Award 2017

Postby 85Champs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am

I heard Michael Hoffer get asked on the PM Jab about Fitzy favorites and he indicated there really isn't any buzz on any specific candidates this year.

I'm sure Bonny Eagle could have one from Menard, Sprague, Sirois, or Thorne
Scarborough with Panyi, Lagerquist
TA's QB, and most RB's & WRs are all non -seniors but maybe Houde or Webb

Who else will be in contention?
85Champs

Re: Fitzpatrick Award 2017

Postby Details » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:56 am

85Champs wrote:I heard Michael Hoffer get asked on the PM Jab about Fitzy favorites and he indicated there really isn't any buzz on any specific candidates this year.

I'm sure Bonny Eagle could have one from Menard, Sprague, Sirois, or Thorne
Scarborough with Panyi, Lagerquist
TA's QB, and most RB's & WRs are all non -seniors but maybe Houde or Webb

Who else will be in contention?

Portland's coach Hartmann had a quote in which he mentioned EL's Maxx Bell as A North's best player...on an undefeated team. Say what we will about competition, etc., but that's a nice endorsement from a city area coach to a kid who must have showed him something. I think Bell would have to be considered from the North.

My favorite would probably be Thorne who I think is the MVP of the best team in the state.
Details

Postby footballphan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:21 pm

We have to remember that grades/character are a component as well!

From B North:
Pelletier from Messo
Roddy/Sousa from Cony
Barnes/Bell from Skowhegan

Those are the handful that stick out that are seniors
footballphan

Postby HolidayInn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 pm

Thorne - BE
Garrard – Scarborough
Is the QB or receiver for Skowhegan seniors? If so, I think either are good candidate.
BE in a situation TA was a couple years ago and other teams in the past. Each team can only nominate one, but BE has multiple strong candidates. Based on the past 4 – 5 years, appears committee doesn’t like picking a candidate from team with high number of impact players. For example, TA wins states in 2012, 2014, and 2015 with no Fitzpatrick win. These teams had a pool of players that could have been chosen to represent the team for award. To be honest, I don’t think they had a shot in 2014. TA knocked out of playoffs last year and Laverriere wins Fitzpatrick. Part of this is due to him standing out on his team. Esposito is another example. His stats didn’t stand out compared to other candidates, but did on his specific team.
I hope I’m wording this appropriately and this isn’t coming across as questioning Fitzpatrick award recipients from past or intend to compare player results. All of the final candidates tend to have similar stats. On the surface, credit is given to a player that stands out compared to teammates vs. player from a team made up of many impact players. It could also be I’m bias towards historic approach of multiple players can be chosen from the same team and winner typically came from state title team.
HolidayInn

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:45 am

TA knocked out of playoffs last year and Laverriere wins Fitzpatrick. Part of this is due to him standing out on his team.

I don't think that's why Mike won Fitzy last season. He was a favorite to win before the season even started and it's because he was the most dominant player in the state, arguably on both sides of the ball, not just at TA. The kid was 6'2" 230ish, played quarterback (as a fullback), and ran a 4.6 40. He was a man among boys.... that's why he won.

I think Thorne for BE is the same type of player who's sharing stats with guys like Sprague, Siriois, Menard, Pike, etc... They are all talented, but Thorne is a force and he's accounted for every time he steps on the field. But they still can't stop him.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby TAallday » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:54 am

My Top Guys:

Thorne: Man amongst boys, been doing it for three years...BEAST!

Garrard: Has all the numbers, but winning a couple big games couldn't hurt. He is a stud.

Jack Bryant: The Falmouth QB has been performing at a high level for three years now...I think he is a senior:p
TAallday

Postby Details » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:29 am

Imagine Thorne and Garrard in the same backfield? Who would want to play linebacker? LOL
Details

Postby footballphan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am

Details wrote:Imagine Thorne and Garrard in the same backfield? Who would want to play linebacker? LOL

There's always the Lobster Bowl...which, based on the leagues, is looking like it'll be a trouncing. South is LOADED with talent. Not so sure the North is.
footballphan

Postby TAallday » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 am

Thorne does run with another pretty good back in Sprague...haha, not much behind Garrard if at all.
TAallday

Postby Mainesportsfan123 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:21 am

Marshwood and kennebunk have fitzy caliber skill players but i believ most of kennebunk’s are Juniors. Jack bryant is an option but has thrown 12 interceptions in his career against marshwood alone... great quarterbacks are much more consistent with their ability to take care of the rock.
Mainesportsfan123

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur