Efforts to curb football blowouts fall short

post info & talk all things Football...

Efforts to curb football blowouts fall short

Postby PPH » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:11 am

Efforts to curb Maine high school football blowouts fall short
Sixty percent of all games since 2012 have been decided by 20 or more points.

...But competitive disparity is not just a problem for a handful of schools. Nor is it a new phenomenon.

Since 2012, more than 60 percent of games have been decided by a margin of at least 20 points. Nearly 30 percent have reached the 35-point threshold, which prompts “running time” in the second half of games to speed up mismatches.

On Friday, five of the 27 varsity games on the schedule were decided by less than a touchdown – on a night featuring scores such as 41-3, 48-6, 49-0, 51-0 and 56-6.

“As a coach you know when you’re taking a beating but it’s shocking when you hear those numbers,” Yarmouth Coach Jason Veilleux said.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/10/15/e ... all-short/
PPH

Re: Efforts to curb football blowouts fall short

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:16 am

Until the MPA starts to accept the fact that A is not always greater then B,C,D. B is not always greater then C,D,. C is not always greater then D. -they will continue to have a growing parity problem. The development of youth programs (particularly in York and Cumberland County) and coaching are beginning to expose this more and more.

You can have a system where teams play for a classification championship at the end of the year based on school size but still have great regular season inter-class games. Particularly in York and Cumberland County.

Can someone tell me again why (D) Wells should not be playing a (A) North school?

Fear of the possibility of exposure of a system, or you don't want variety of intriguing matchups for the fans?

It was good to see there are a few steps being made in the development of this concept with pre-season scrimmages, a few interclass, and mixed Region matchups but I'm just giving my annual two cents to consider for the coming years. It is good to see a few small steps made, please keep the concept going.

While on topic has Maine ever considered cutting down to two classifications and perhaps going with a "Division 1" and "Division 2" level of play ? You essentially still have 4 "Championships" but perhaps fine tune the parity of play a bit....

Another option may combining High Schools or consider a 8 Man football league for teams with less then 15-20 players? The way HS football is going it may be a viable option to keep programs alive.

No one likes change but when parity continues to grow like it has been in Maine over the last few years, it gets to a point where you are holding back the development of competition for the programs, student-athletes, and fans.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby Silo34 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:51 am

That was a well though out post Broward, I agree enrollment alone isn't the answer. Kinda feel bad for some of the schools that get pounded week in, week out.
Silo34

Postby interloper » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:07 pm

Schools in different classes will not play each other unless they agree. When last asked not enough B schools asked to play against A schools to set up a suitable schedule.
interloper

Postby Dan R » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:17 pm

The PPH article seems to imply that this is a problem that developed recently. Help me out if I'm wrong, but I remember Marshwood teams from forty years ago blowing the doors off teams by over 40 points on a fairly regular basis.
Dan R

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:22 pm

Before deciding how to fix things, i am curious if football blowouts are just a Maine thing or a nationwide thing.

The thing this year, is there are just 2 to 3 teams in each class (maybe more in class c) that are just head and shoulders above the rest..So unless those teams are playing each other, you see a lot of 35 plus point wins.

The 1 problem i would have with not playing by enrollements is how to figure when a team should stay or play in each class. I mean within past 10 years, Mtn. Valley was beating up teams every week in Class B They moved down because of enrollment and due to four class system but if not for that when do you decide how and when to move teams up and down. Does the coach just say we are not going to be good this year, and how would that look after you beat up teams the few years before?

3 years ago Yarmouth was in state final...now they are on the bad end of running time...cycles happen...look at Northern A, where in past years, cheverus, portland and windham were blowing out the other teams every week....its not that way this year
wmtwsportsprod

Postby Tackletrap » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:10 pm

Hate to say it but the MPA can keep re classifying, researchibg, asking for input etc. Some schools are going to have success some are not. Some schools are football schools, sone basketball, sone hockey, etc. Enrollment is the best criteria. Success depends on the program itself. The coaches, the youth program, the talent or lack thereof at any certain time. Want your program to be a success ? Build from the ground up starting with your youth program, however keep in mind it does not happen overnight. You want parity ? Take all the schools that have football, divide by two. Two teams per class, that way every team is either a State Champ or Runner up. Fitting with the way siciety is today with everyone getting a trophy. LOL
Tackletrap

Postby TheMike » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:18 pm

My thoughts FWIW to solve this problem.

First, realize that nothing is going to completely solve the problem of blowouts. There are going to be the best and the worst teams in each division, they will play one another, and when that happens blowouts are inevitable.

Once the MPA comes to grips with that....

1) Divide the five classes by enrollment.

2) Give teams an opportunity to petition to move up or down a class. Any team wishing to move up would be automatically allowed to do so but any team petitioning to move down would have to have permission of the MPA.

3) Set the ten classes (5 each, North and South) using 1 & 2 above.

4) At the end of the two year scheduling cycle move the two teams with the best records in classes B, C, D, and E up one class & move the two teams with the worst records in A, B, C, and D down one class. In case of ties use a tie breaker such as points scored/allowed differential. Then go back to 1 (above) and start over.

Complete parity will never be accomplished but after a few cycles of this the teams will weed themselves out according to relative strength.

I realize that it's easy to rip a plan apart, but does anyone have any better ideas? Because what the MPA is doing now certainly isn't working.
TheMike

Postby interloper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:52 pm

A few points about what has been said. Yes, blowouts happened in the past but not nearly as frequently as now. When I was in school in my senior, no I did not play football, we lost on game by 21 points and won another by 21. The remaining 7 games were all within 8 points. we finished 4-4-1, that was 1975. There were very games in class A where the deficit ever got above 30 points.
Very few schools ever played up a class back because of enrollment. Cheverus was an exception, Winslow did it for a few years. Orono did but they played up a class in several sports for many years.. Marshwood did not apply up in football until 1989.
As I have said on numerous occasions, TA was the smallest public school in the SMAA but we were in the top 3rd when it came to playing football, not so much in other sports.
I really can not come up with a better system than enrollment. As for the comments by 'the Mike', yes it is easy to rip a post, but I am going to make a point. In high school sports, it is very easy for schools to go in cycles with their athletes in different sports. Look at Brunswick. If we use your idea they would be playing in A this year. That would not be good. They would not be the only school that this would have happened to in previous years.
Lastly, the number of lopsided games has increased in most of the other sports in the state as well. It has not been noticed as much, probably because the typical scoring play in football is 6 points and in most other sports it is 1. A 10-0 score in soccer or field hockey, which has happened more than a few times this year is on the equal of a 70-0 score in football.
interloper

Postby voiceofreason » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Simple solution that will never be heard. 5 classes, all with playoffs and championships. Class A and class E does not have north/south divisions as there are not enough teams. Teams may petition up or down and still retain playoff eligibility. MPA sets a standing committee of coaches, athletic directors and/or principals and superintendents that review school petitions. This committee must "approve" application in order to be eligible. All petitions must be received by a certain date, and the committee will meet to make the decision on a date soon after all petitions have been submitted. This will force schools to make a well thought out decision as to what is best for their student athletes instead of waiting to see who does what.

I personally prefer crabtree points over heals, but that is just one man's opinion.
voiceofreason

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur