Kennebunk vs. Marshwood

Postby WMTW » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:37 am

WMTW Game of the Week: Kennebunk vs. Marshwood
http://www.wmtw.com/article/game-of-the ... d/12842104
WMTW

Re: Kennebunk vs. Marshwood

Postby Fosters » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:48 am

Week 7 HS Football Showcase: Unbeaten Hawks, Rams brace for Class B showdown

...In last year’s 13-7 win in the Class B semifinals, the Rams held Marshwood to 207 total yards and forced four turnovers. They went on to the Class B championship game, losing to Brunswick.

“I don’t think we’re doing anything different; we just have more experience,” said longtime Kennebunk coach Joe Rafferty. “We played a lot of sophomores in the secondary (last year), juniors on the defensive line and in linebacker spots. Basically they’re a year older.”

Inside backers Dante DeLorenzo and Brennan Schatzabel are a strength in the middle, and a pair of good cornerbacks — Zack Sullivan and Derek Smith — will try to keep quarterback Tommy Springer from finding a rhythm with his receivers.

“Honestly, I know in the past they’ve always been very good about running the football, but the pass game has made them more dangerous,” said Rafferty. “They have a very good pass game and it complements their run game very well.”

http://www.fosters.com/sports/20171012/ ... b-showdown
Fosters

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:11 am

This game isn't getting the attention it deserves I don't think. I am very anxious to see who wins; both teams are legit powerhouses right now.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby Details » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 am

Agreed. Where are the Rams and Hawks fans? Would love to get more insight on these two teams!
Details

Postby the guru 23 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 am

2 great defenses, 2 great coaches, both teams have playmakers on offense. I think it comes down to which QB makes more plays and avoids the big turnover. This will be a great rematch in regional final if both teams get avoid injuries and get back.
the guru 23

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:49 am

the guru 23 wrote:2 great defenses, 2 great coaches, both teams have playmakers on offense. I think it comes down to which QB makes more plays and avoids the big turnover. This will be a great rematch in regional final if both teams get avoid injuries and get back.

Have any predictions been made? Do you think it will be a low scoring game?
Labreckjrsdad

Postby AVEFAN » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:04 am

Agreed that this game involves 2 outstanding coaches who have respect for each others program. Also agreed to it coming down to the QB's and which one does not have that critical turnover. Springer has done a great job as a soph. and adds a throwing dimension that will keep Kennebunk balanced. Kennebunk who runs the true triple will rely on Tripp Bush to make the correct reads and get the ball to Delorenzo (who is a beast) , Smith who has proven he is as good if not better than Littlefield (out with a broken collarbone but will return) or he'll keep it himself and has proven to be a dangerous runner. Kennebunks wideout Zack Sullivan has to be one of the top 3 receivers in the state. Both defenses are tough but I expect a high scoring game. Too many athletes on the field for both teams to shut down. Should be a fun Sat. afternoon at Memeorial field.
AVEFAN

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:56 am

AVEFAN wrote:Agreed that this game involves 2 outstanding coaches who have respect for each others program. Also agreed to it coming down to the QB's and which one does not have that critical turnover. Springer has done a great job as a soph. and adds a throwing dimension that will keep Kennebunk balanced. Kennebunk who runs the true triple will rely on Tripp Bush to make the correct reads and get the ball to Delorenzo (who is a beast) , Smith who has proven he is as good if not better than Littlefield (out with a broken collarbone but will return) or he'll keep it himself and has proven to be a dangerous runner. Kennebunks wideout Zack Sullivan has to be one of the top 3 receivers in the state. Both defenses are tough but I expect a high scoring game. Too many athletes on the field for both teams to shut down. Should be a fun Sat. afternoon at Memeorial field.

Love it! I hope this battle proves to be better than the one that TA and BE had a couple of weeks ago. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.
Labreckjrsdad

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:04 am

Teams are very close but think Marshwood has been waiting for this day a little more so then Kennebunk based on recent history. I'm leaning Marshwood in the road win here.
BrowardHandicapper

Postby AVEFAN » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:10 pm

They are very close. Correct me if I am wrong but since both came into class B 4 years ago Kennebunk holds a 4-3 edge in victories. Not sure the Hawks want it any more than the Rams but based on the Rams beating them twice last year and returns basically the entire team I'll have to go with the Rams on their homecoming.
AVEFAN

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur