TA vs. Oxford Hills (Pregame Thoughts)

post info & talk all things Football...

TA vs. Oxford Hills (Pregame Thoughts)

Postby TAallday » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:51 am

Cannot wait for the TA vs. Oxford Hills game tonight. It should be a fun atmosphere at the Gouin Complex with Oxford Hills surely being fired up to face a traditional Maine football power.

My Final Breakdown:

Score and Summary: Thornton Academy 42 - Oxford Hills 14

I think that TA will respond and that Oxford Hills will have a hard time dealing with the speed of Brocamonte on the outside runs. They will most likely double Labreck, but Mitchell should have better protection and support this week. I don't see the TA line getting dominated in this one, but I do think the Hills will get a 2-3 scores due to Stevens' ability and speed. Motano has a bounce back game and pressures Carson along with others and TA gets back on track.

Players to Watch:

Oxford Hills: Colton Carson (QB), Dawson Stevens (RB), Tasker Winslow (MLB), DT (forgot his name), and Chris St. Pierre (WR)
Thornton Academy: Will Mitchell (QB), Anthony Brocamonte (TB/WR), CJ Labreck (WR), Jack Webb (LT), Jason Montano (FB/NT), Ethan Gikas (CB)

Keys to the Game:

Oxford Hills:
-Establish the outside run against a TA defense that often makes mistakes out wide.
-BLOCK FOR CARSON. If he has time, he has the talent to make plays. If he doesn't have time, mistakes seem to be common, just like for any QB.
-Limit mistakes: Turnovers killed the Vikings early this season. They cannot give TA extra possessions.
-Pressure Mitchell and contain Labreck. This strategy worked for BE, but can OH get that kind of pressure?

Thornton Academy:
-Get the fire back!! BE pounded the Trojans last weekend and they need to respond big time as OH will be pumped for this one.
-Establish the run. It can be up the gut, on the edge, or with the QB, but TA has to be able to run the rock. If they don't, it'll be tough again for the passing game.
-Get the ball into the hands of players in the open field. TA has a great set of skill guys, but they have to get the ball into their hands. Short passes could work and combo routes with multiple WR's (more than 2) would be a positive change for the Trojans.
-BLOCK
-Pressure the QB and RB in the backfield. OH has made a lot of mistakes this season. Try and have them make a couple more.
TAallday

Re: TA vs. Oxford Hills (Pregame Thoughts)

Postby Details » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:24 am

Good breakdown TA!

This is where I'd love to post a things "I think I think" type column. This football season has me as confused as any I've seen in a long time due to Windham and Portland "slipping" back to the middle of the pack. OH seems very good and when they don't turn the ball over and spread the ball around they LOOK really good. Windham played BE a few weeks ago and got destroyed. TA lost by a lot to BE but didn't look "dominated" the way Windham did. In fact, Brocamonte ran the ball pretty well against a very good defense. A few turnovers by TA and a kick return by BE added 14-21 points to that point total. It wasn't just sit back, run the ball, and pound TA.

I think OH is better (and bigger) than TA might think they are. We all talk about how big Windham is...OH matched up very well, and then some, against Windham. Webb and Doughty looking at each other tonight should be pretty interesting.

I think OH might not understand how quick and shifty Brocamonte is. I think he is deceiving.

I think Mitchell is tougher than I thought he was at the beginning of the year. Big body and tough to bring down.

I think the difference will be TA throwing the ball to get 1st downs. Nothing more maddening than stuffing two runs and then on 3rd and 5 a team throws for 8 yards and a 1st down.

I think if there are no turnovers in the game, it is a good one. If OH wins the turnover battle they have a shot.

I think reality is that TA, even this young team, is more seasoned in big games and against better competition. They will find a way to win.

I think I'd like OH to prove they belong in a "top ten or notable" discussion.
Details

Postby TAallday » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

Details,

I am hoping for a good game as well.

Overall, I predict OH trying to mimic what BE did to TA with the WR double coverage and the pass rush. The big difference is obvious to me though...OH is certainly not BE...nobody in Maine is even close to them. I think TA will be able to run the ball a bit better, which should open up their pass game. Webb and Lynn really did block well for TA against BE, but it is the interior line who has to play better. I think the will tonight.

Ultimately, I just feel like TA is going to come out strong and overwhelm OH throughout the game. BE had a bunch of good DB's and LB's to stop the TA pass game and pressure the QB. OH just does not have the solid guys at each spot like BE. I think that creates holes for Mitchell to get the ball into.

OH could keep it close though...we shall see!
TAallday

Postby Archer Bunker » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:22 am

I'd like to hear "miked" take on this game. I'm taking TA by at least 4TD's.

AB
Archer Bunker

Postby miked » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:41 am

Archer Bunker wrote:I'd like to hear "miked" take on this game. I'm taking TA by at least 4TD's.

AB

Oxford Hills 28 TA 12- TA was totally dominated up front last week and showed no fight. It was great to watch. Oxford Hills had a good win vs Windham last week. The Vikings play physical and handle TA
miked

Postby 85Champs » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:54 am

miked wrote:
Archer Bunker wrote:I'd like to hear "miked" take on this game. I'm taking TA by at least 4TD's.

AB

Oxford Hills 28 TA 12- TA was totally dominated up front last week and showed no fight. It was great to watch. Oxford Hills had a good win vs Windham last week. The Vikings play physical and handle TA

Your mother let you out of her basement last week so you could go to the game?
85Champs

Postby MattyB » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 am

Twitter.com/MattyinMaine
SportsTime780.com
MattyB

Postby TAallday » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:15 am

85, jesus, you are vicious!
TAallday

Postby Details » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:54 am

85Champs wrote:Your mother let you out of her basement last week so you could go to the game?

Not necessary...all of TA's games are streamed. :)
Details

Postby Labreckjrsdad » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:07 pm

TAallday wrote:Cannot wait for the TA vs. Oxford Hills game tonight. It should be a fun atmosphere at the Gouin Complex with Oxford Hills surely being fired up to face a traditional Maine football power.

My Final Breakdown:

Score and Summary: Thornton Academy 42 - Oxford Hills 14

I think that TA will respond and that Oxford Hills will have a hard time dealing with the speed of Brocamonte on the outside runs. They will most likely double Labreck, but Mitchell should have better protection and support this week. I don't see the TA line getting dominated in this one, but I do think the Hills will get a 2-3 scores due to Stevens' ability and speed. Motano has a bounce back game and pressures Carson along with others and TA gets back on track.

Players to Watch:

Oxford Hills: Colton Carson (QB), Dawson Stevens (RB), Tasker Winslow (MLB), DT (forgot his name), and Chris St. Pierre (WR)
Thornton Academy: Will Mitchell (QB), Anthony Brocamonte (TB/WR), CJ Labreck (WR), Jack Webb (LT), Jason Montano (FB/NT), Ethan Gikas (CB)

Keys to the Game:

Oxford Hills:
-Establish the outside run against a TA defense that often makes mistakes out wide.
-BLOCK FOR CARSON. If he has time, he has the talent to make plays. If he doesn't have time, mistakes seem to be common, just like for any QB.
-Limit mistakes: Turnovers killed the Vikings early this season. They cannot give TA extra possessions.
-Pressure Mitchell and contain Labreck. This strategy worked for BE, but can OH get that kind of pressure?

Thornton Academy:
-Get the fire back!! BE pounded the Trojans last weekend and they need to respond big time as OH will be pumped for this one.
-Establish the run. It can be up the gut, on the edge, or with the QB, but TA has to be able to run the rock. If they don't, it'll be tough again for the passing game.
-Get the ball into the hands of players in the open field. TA has a great set of skill guys, but they have to get the ball into their hands. Short passes could work and combo routes with multiple WR's (more than 2) would be a positive change for the Trojans.
-BLOCK
-Pressure the QB and RB in the backfield. OH has made a lot of mistakes this season. Try and have them make a couple more.

Nice work Paul, this is a great breakdown.
Labreckjrsdad

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur