Lawrence:: handles Mt. Blue

post info & talk all things Football...

Postby CM Newspapers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:51 am

A heated rivalry ready for rebirth
Lawrence and Winslow football teams prepare for 1st showdown in decades.

...“He said, ‘When I was growing up, I hated your guts. But you’re not such a bad guy,'” Cooper recalled. “Biddeford-Thornton Academy was probably the biggest rivalry in the state, but Lawrence-Winslow was pretty close.”

Throughout the 1960s, ’70s, and ’80s, the Lawrence-Winslow football rivalry was as intense as rivalries came. It was so heated that, even though Lawrence has lights at Keyes Field, the game was still played on Saturday afternoon to limit hostile shenanigans between the fan bases.

Then, it was gone. Winslow had played up a class as a small Class A school. With the start of the 1991 season, the Black Raiders played in Class B. With schedules built around Class divisions, the Lawrence-Winslow rivalry was set aside. A generation grew up with stories of the close games and big crowds. New stories were not written.

Until now.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/09/06/ ... r-rebirth/
Last edited by CM Newspapers on Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CM Newspapers

Re: A heated rivalry ready for rebirth : Lawrence and Winslo

Postby Speed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:28 am

This is one of very best pre game pieces I have ever read.....I highly recommend reading to all who love the game, history, and the place of sports in our consciousness and culture....great read....

It captures everything I know about Winslow, Lawrence...

It's been 27 years since they last met...slavery to conference and class schedules prevented it....now these old foes meet once more....

Winslow leads all time series 42-19 with 5 ties....

I know so many Lawrence and Winslow alums who will be there....

This is only place to be on Friday night ....crowd will be huge.....
Speed

Postby Speed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:32 am

So glad this got linked.....great piece of sports writing by a guy who gets it....many quotes from old players, coaches....some in 90s....and great pic of a young " Old Pete" Cooper....and some great quotes by Old Wally LaFountain , Winslow coach from 1958 and a living treasure of all that is good in sports...
Speed

Postby footballphan » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 am

Completely agree Speed. I wasn't around for any of the old Winslow-Lawrence games, so I appreciate this article trying to describe all that it's about. Well written and descriptive, a good piece of journalism that got insights from the men who lived it.
footballphan

Postby Speed » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:19 am

You can talk TA - Biddeford, Cony - Gardiner, Waterville - Winslow, Portland - SOPO, Portland - Deering , and Bangor - Brewer all you want.....the most intense rivalry I have witnessed is Lawrence- Winslow..........an absolute shame this great rivalry hasn't been played for 27 years...

Old Keyes Field will be ringed with fans many rows deep on Friday night....stands will be full....so many alums will be back for this one....and Keyes is one of true gems of a place to watch a football game....stands are close...no track....you see and hear and feel hits....it doesn't get any better than this....
Speed

Postby TAallday » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:18 am

I love the history and passion in this piece.

Man, I sure do miss my Trojans battling the Tigers in the season finale every year. What made our rivalry great was the opposite of Winslow and Lawrence, we were two different communities in every sense of the word. Man, Saco and Biddeford rivalries date back hundreds of year and the football was excellent. I hope that Biddeford keeps improving and growing, because I want my kids to play the Tigers!!
TAallday

Postby CM Newspapers » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 am

MS Game of the Week: Winslow, Lawrence football back at it, 27 years later
One of the most competitive rivalries in state renewed this weekend.

...Here’s a look at the Winslow-Lawrence matchup:

Where: Keyes Field, Fairfield

When:7 p.m. Friday

Winslow coach Mike Siviski on Lawrence:“I think both teams are coming off tough games, real tough physical openers. It will be interesting to see what happens. Obviously we just won and they just lost. We expect it’s going to be tough. They’re expecting a good season, and so are we.”

Lawrence coach John Hersom on Winslow: “It’s definitely going to be a big challenge for us, from a lot of aspects. Winslow is a strong, well-coached football team. They’re fundamentally sound, and that’s no surprise.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/09/07/ ... ars-later/
CM Newspapers

Lawrence football pulls away from longtime rival Winslow

Postby CM Newspapers » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:45 am

Lawrence football pulls away from longtime rival Winslow
Bulldogs earn victory in 1st meeting of teams in 27 years.

...“We got out-quicked, out-blocked, and out-tackled,” Winslow coach Mike Siviski said. “Lawrence played a real good game, and we could’ve been better.”

Lawrence scored the go-ahead touchdown with 1:33 left in the first half, a 10-yard touchdown catch by Logan Fortin from Braden Ballard. Fortin finished with four catches for 66 yards.

The only score of the second half was a 27-yard field goal by Zach Nickerson with 1:21 left in the third quarter, which pushed Lawrence’s lead to 24-14.

Isaiah Schooler ran for 88 yards for Lawrence. Gagnon ran for 65 yards for Winslow, and Ryan Fredette ran for 61.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2017/09/08/ ... l-winslow/
CM Newspapers

Re: Lawrence football pulls away from longtime rival Winslow

Postby wings » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:14 pm

wings

Postby SJ » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:54 am

Lawrence handles Mt. Blue in football clash

...The senior running back duo of Isaiah Schooler and Tyler Larouche combined for 411 yards for the Bulldogs, who took a 54-22 win over Mt. Blue.

Schooler and Larouche each scored four touchdowns. Schooler gained 222 yards (187 rushing, 24 receiving), and Larouche gained 200 (152 rushing, 48 receiving).

Ahead 33-14 at the half, Lawrence put the game away with two touchdowns in the first 3:02 of the second half. Just 48 seconds into the half, Larouche scores on a 24-yard run. After Michenzie Stevens recovered a Mt. Blue fumble, Schooler ran 38 yards to the Cougar 1, then punched it in on the next play for a 47-14 lead.

http://www.sunjournal.com/news/local-sp ... sh/2208817
SJ

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur