MBR Video Replay - A North Final: Windham 42, Portland 6

post info & talk all things Football...

Re: MBR Video Replay - A North Final: Windham 42, Portland 6

Postby Miren » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:41 am

Any head coach who keeps the starters in during a blowout deserves to be criticized—whether winning or losing.
Not only does keeping the starters in send a message to an opponent that a guy/team is disrespectful, but it's also opening up the possibility of a KEY PLAYER GEETING HURT, which is the last thing anyone wants to have happen.
Miren

Postby MVS » Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:44 am

Doesn't really seem right and very poor sportsmanship, in my opinion, that on a night with single digit windchill, Windham goes inside after warmups and Portland kids stand around freezing their butts off. Then the same thing at half time. Seems like the schools should be required to provide comparable facilities to both teams on a night like last night, and if they can't, then both teams should stay outside. Not saying Portland would have won, but they clearly weren't ready from the opening kickoff and you would have to be a fool to believe that standing around for so long in those conditions wasn't a factor. Typical crap from Windham which starts at the top of their program.
MVS

Postby Steaglesfan » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:51 pm

First, you are clearly misinformed. I have worked at Windham for a long time. Every opponent is given a locker room. Most use it at the beginning but once they take the field for warm-ups they do not go back. Usually Windham does not either because the school is a little far away compared to others. Portland had every opportunity to use facilities as Windham did, their coaching staff elected not to. Which of course is their right.

There is clearly no love loss between the two programs. That is what happens when you play each other every year in the playoffs. The substitution has been an issue for several years. It wasn't long ago when Portland threw a fade ball for a touchdown up 48-0. I want to say it was 2012. Windham wasn't happy. But that Portland's right to do what is best for their team. Windham responded with a drive to score in that game with their ones. The Windham coaching staff felt it was good for a team that started 11 sophs to score. They have a right to coach their team the way they see fit. Portland was not happy. Since then, there have been some really close games that have been tough for the loser to swallow.

I am sure last night they were probably waiting for someone to blink. Both teams are thin and probably didn't want to put young inexperienced players in against the other team's ones. Since their is a history, it probably went on longer than a normal situation. For me, that is part of rivalry. I am glad no one is hurt that I know of.

You may have an issue with Coach Perkins but I can tell you I have known and worked with him for many years and do not know of anyone who cares for his players, holds them accountable, and always tries to do the right thing more than he and his staff do. Like anyone who has coached long enough, I am sure there are things he would do differently but he has never done something he didn't think was right at the time. I am sure people feel the same about the Portland staff. I cannot speak for them. That staff has done an awesome job with that program over the last several years. Football is better when Portland is good.
Steaglesfan

Postby Proxima Centauri » Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:00 pm

Well said, Steaglesfan; I too can attest to Coach Perkins' character.

Does anyone know what time the Class A game will be on Saturday?
Proxima Centauri

Postby 85Champs » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:03 pm

I would guess the A game will be at 11am as both teams have short drives to Fitzy.
85Champs

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:26 pm

FYI....Windham did not go inside to a locker room at half time....they went and gathered on hill away from the field...i noticed them when i went to my car to warm up..

As far as when to take players out..i am guessing Miren was more concerend about why Portland didnt take out certain starters, and not who played when for windham
wmtwsportsprod

Postby Bluestrong » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:09 am

I have know Coach Perkins for a long time. He is a first class coach and person. His program is built on doing things the right way and holding players accountable for their actions. (Life). Visiting teams are always given an inside locker room before the game, halftime and after the game so I would address your concerns to Hartman as to why his team did not go inside. Windham has a lot of young players. I believe Portland had their 1's in late so for safety if a coach does not think they are ready you do not put the younger kids in. A team still has to stop simple run plays. You never coach a kid to go half speed that's when they get hurt. The fact is Portland got out played and out coached. The Eagles executed their game plan better and won the game! Congrats to them and good luck at states. Please have your facts correct before you put it in the blogs.
Bluestrong

Postby MVS » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:03 am

You sure about that? Sure looked to me like Windham went into the elementary school to warm up at halftime. As for providing a locker room, the high school is too far away to reasonably walk over there either after pregame warmups or at half time. By the time the kids get there, they would need to turn around and head back to the field.
MVS

Postby wmtwsportsprod » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 pm

yes i am sure
wmtwsportsprod

Previous

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur