For Noble High, a football championship worth remembering

post info & talk all things Football...

Postby PPH » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:30 am

Twenty years later, those involved still cherish the Knights' improbable Class A state title.

...“Hey, weren’t you the coach of that Noble football team that won it all in 1997?”

Suttie, who once shied away from such recognition, will smile and nod. Then they will talk. And talk. And talk.

“I’m comfortable with it now,” said Suttie, now the RSU 23 superintendent and Old Orchard Beach High principal. “I’ve had some great experiences in my life but how could anything ever top that 1997 team? Not to diminish the other experiences but that was really amazing for that time.”

Twenty years have passed since the Knights stunned Maine’s football universe by winning the Class A championship. Noble defeated perennial powerhouses Biddeford and South Portland in the regional playoffs. The 10-7 overtime win over the two-time defending state champion Red Riots in the Western Class A title game was as memorable for its setting – an icy field surrounded by 3-foot high snow banks on a Monday evening – as for its outcome. A week later, the Knights defeated Gardiner 35-7 in the state title game.

http://www.pressherald.com/2017/08/13/f ... membering/
PPH

Re: For Noble High, a football championship worth rememberin

Postby Speed » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:56 am

Shakespeare's Henry V speech before the battle of Agincourt.....son of a bitch!!....greatest locker room speech of all time....I read it about every week....and if never stops giving me goose bumps...Suttie, you magnificent bastard, you read the play....you read the book...
Speed

Postby Red4life » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:50 pm

I hope that they do a similar article next summer, commemorating the twentieth anniversary of Sanford High School's Class "A" Football State Champions of 1998! Started off at 2-2 and then won eight consecutive victories, including all playoffs on the road, to bring the gold ball back home to a tumultuous victory parade the length of Rte 111 and throughout the entire downtown! First football championship for Sanford High since the "B" teams of 1956 and 1959!
Red4life

Postby footballkicker77 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:18 pm

ugh, even though I wasn't on the team that year, brings back painful memories!!
footballkicker77

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur