B North Week 8 - Playoff Seedings Determined?

post info & talk all things Football...

B North Week 8 - Playoff Seedings Determined?

Postby NionNion » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:48 am

Brunswick vs Nokomis - Top vs Bottom, doesn't look to be anything out of the ordinary. Nokomis has nothing to lose, so look to seem them play a tough game with a few trick plays.

Brunswick 56 Nokomis 6

Brewer vs Hampden- Hampden has improved this year with their new coach and quarterback. Hampden will face a threat with the QB trap and bootleg but will not stand against the witches.

Brewer 48 Hampden 8

Cony vs Gardiner - Wild card game for 6th seed. Cony hasn't been as hot as recent years, but their quarterback and receiver duo with Heath and Roddy is very well off. Gardiner runs the ball well and gets on a hot streak when they score.

Cony 27 Gardiner 21

Lawrence vs Messalonskee - Game of the week in B North. Will decide for 4th and 5th seed which gives one of the teams home field advantage for the next week. Nothing too special will be shown in the game, but I think they are pretty even. Messo has a few powerful backs, but Lawrence has a hardnose defense. Should be a goood game.

Messalonskee 21 Lawrence 18

Mt Blue vs Skowhegan - Mt Blue is a far underrated run team. There power set is very strong, but their defense hasn't stuck up for themselves. Skowhegan will have some fits with their run game, but expect the same with Mt Blue. McSweeny has showed that he is a dangerous passer all season and won't have any trouble picking apart Mt Blue defenders. Should be a back and forth game.

Skowhegan 48 Mt Blue 24

With all being said, playoff seedings won't be too jumbled this week, but they are sure to be as expected.

1- Brunswick
2- Brewer
3- Skowhegan
4- Messalonskee
5- Lawrence
6- Cony
NionNion

Re: B North Week 8 - Playoff Seedings Determined?

Postby champ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:40 am

Brunswick vs Nokomis

Brunswick has been dominant all year long, and they are going into the playoffs with a full head of steam. 7-0 vs. 0-7. Sorry but this isn't close.

Brunswick 62, Nokomis 7

Brewer vs Hampden

Brewer is looking to go into playoffs with momentum, and this is the perfect week to do it. With a new HC, Hampden will get better in the upcoming years. Brewer in a blowout.

Brewer 42, Hampden 14

Cony vs Gardiner

Battle for 6th seed. I feel like Cony has more to lose, but with Heath and Roddy they will show up to claim the last playoff spot. Cony in a 'closer than it should be' game.

Cony 28, Gardiner 21

Lawrence vs Messalonskee

After starting the season 0-2, Lawrence has been fighting for every down, This is an inspired team, and has nothing to lose. Messo just came off a though loss to Brewer that came down to the wire, but I think the fired up team from Lawrence takes it in a week 8 upset.

Lawrence 21, Messalonskee 14

Mount Blue vs Skowhegan

Unless Mount Blue pulls a rabbit out of the hat, I don't think that Skowhegan will lose this game. Wanting to build as much momentum as possible for the playoffs, I think McSweeney has a field day and Skowhegan wins it easily.

Skowhegan 35, Mount Blue 14

After the Lawrence upset, my seedings will look like this:

1- Brunswick
2- Brewer
3- Skowhegan
4- Lawrence
5- Messalonskee
6- Cony
champ

Postby Michigan » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:39 am

Only two games matter this week,

Tigers over Rams
21-20

Bulldogs over Eagles
31-14
Michigan

Postby Firestarter85 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 am

i agree with you on this michigan.

last week you were talking up cony but you must have seen them lay a egg at skowhegan last week.

big rain coming friday and that offense will sputter. i think gardiner wins a low scoring game and comes to skowhegan next week.

lawrence is a very good football team. i said it from the beginning but no one else believed it. they beat messalonske and get home field for the re-match.
Firestarter85

Postby DickPhillips » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:41 am

Cony-Gardiner rivalry stocked with memories for Lippert, White
Coaches in Friday's game connected to big game through family ties, playing days.

It was over 20 years ago, but Joe White can remember sitting at his locker, geared up in his Gardiner football uniform, and thinking.

The Tigers were getting ready for another duel with Cony in the epic rivalry between the teams, and White’s mind was years away. He was the latest in a long line of relatives to play in the series. And he was thinking about all of them.

“I’m thinking about what my grandfather did when he prepared, and what my dad did, and how they got their gear on and what they thought about,” White, now the Tigers head coach, said. “It’s a nice connection to have. It’s a nice thing to have.”

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/10/19/ ... ert-white/
DickPhillips

Postby DickPhillips » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:43 am

PODCAST: The Gridiron Gurus, Week 8
Staff writers Travis Lazarczyk and Drew Bonifant are joined by Cony coach B.L. Lippert and Gardiner coach Joe White.

Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel football beat writers Travis Lazarczyk and Drew Bonifant take their weekly look at the high school football season and are joined by Cony coach B.L. Lippert and Gardiner coach Joe White ahead of the Rams-Tigers Week 8 clash.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/10/19/ ... us-week-8/
DickPhillips

Postby wings » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 am

To determine playoff seedings...

Cony and Gardiner - I Like Gardiner if they hit like they hit with Lawrence for four quarters. I Like Cony if Heath throws 7 TD passes like he did in a game earlier this season.

Messalonskee and Lawrence - I Like both of these teams...Both good teams with good football players. Few players to watch for both teams...Messo's Pelletier is a breakaway back and a former QB. Messo's Dylan Brown is best cover corner in B North. For Lawrence, this offense has many weapons, quick strike capability. Two Lawrence players, both juniors, have come to the front, the defensive front for the Bulldogs...DE Alex Higgins and DT Aidan Strickland...Both are quick, strong, physical, athletic...On one play last Friday, Strickland pancaked the Nokomis center, read QB's eyes, lept in air and snared a pass and was a step from returning it for a score...

It's been said before, not much but a century-old rock wall and an old abandoned apple orchard separate the 'Dogs and Eagles, this is a rivalry game.
wings

Postby MBRer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:38 am

CM GAME OF THE WEEK: Plenty at stake when Lawrence, Messalonskee meet on gridiron Eagles, Bulldogs look to better playoff positioning Friday night in Fairfield.

... When: 7 p.m. Friday

Where: Keyes Field, Fairfield.

Messalonskee coach Brad Bishop on Lawrence: “They’re a typical Lawrence team — they get to the football well. They can do a little between the run and pass. They’re good all the way around.”

Lawrence coach John Hersom on Messalonskee: “I think they are probably the best run-blocking team that we have seen, without question in my mind. We study them a lot and we’ve seen them a lot on tape. They’ve got skilled kids at all the running back positions.”

Three keys for Messalonskee:

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/10/20/ ... -gridiron/
MBRer

Postby MBRer » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:40 am

KJ GAME OF THE WEEK: Cony football going for 3rd straight shutout of Gardiner
Winner of rivalry game could secure final playoff berth in PTC B

... There’s no shortage of odd trends and strange stats when a series includes 138 editions dating back 124 years. Consider…

• The nine 0-0 games in the rivalry’s history are obviously tied for the lowest-scoring contests, but there were two years in which that was the result of multiple games. Cony and Gardiner tied 0-0 in both 1918 games, and in two of the three games in 1895. The third game, a 10-0 Cony win, was a scoring bonanza.

• The 2013 Rams set the mark for most points by a team in their 76-14 win. That broke the 121-year-old record of 62 set by Cony in 1892 — the first game in the rivalry. The 2013 game was also the highest-scoring game in terms of combined points for both teams.

http://www.centralmaine.com/2016/10/20/ ... -gardiner/
MBRer

Postby Rob Kennedy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:18 am

Firestarter85 wrote:ha ha ha cony is dilusional talking playoffs. its not happening boys sorry!

RESULT: Cony makes playoffs

Someone has often showed himself to be delusional when it comes to Cony football in the past, but it wasn't the person who wrote the article in the KJ, and it wasn't Cony for believing it could make the playoffs. Yes, they'll likely be one and done...I know that'll be your comeback. But you merely added to your long list of "Things posted on MBR that you hoped would come true and didn't" when it comes to Cony.

It's not healthy to hate a HS program that much. Just FYI.
Rob Kennedy

Next

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur