State of Recruiting in 2019

post info & talk all things Football...

State of Recruiting in 2019

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 pm

Not sure if it is happening nationwide and at all levels but it seems like a "in" or trendy recruiting characteristic of 2019 is measureables of players. For example, not being tall or weighing enough for your height. Perhaps this is happening more at the D1 level but anybody out there associated to recruiting please feel free to share your opinion if you have noticed this at any level.....

Are recruiters putting a little more emphasis on height and weight of late vs. performance?

Another trend I have noticed is schools just bombarding and throwing darts with basically phony offers ...
For example one Conference USA school supposedly have given out hundreds of offers to student athletes in FL since August. Seriously! Also the same school supposedly had given out over 150 offers in the last couple weeks, and even at 7V7 competitions. Keep in mind that technically all FBS offers are full scholarship and they are capped at 85. I would like to see how these schools will handle a situation if 200 kids commit to a program with alleged full scholarships (even if it is a prank)....

This sounds insane but are we getting to a point where kids should be allowed to ask the recruiter and school if they are willing to commit to him individually given the fact the school has handed out over 40 offers for my position nationwide?

I think the NCAA needs to crack down on this as it seems to be a growing trend. This nonsense needs to get put in check.

On perhaps a more positive note, I think we may be seeing more kids signing with D2, D3 and NAIA programs. I don't know if there are more options for the programs and recruiters to work with financially but it is a good thing that some of these kids have perhaps accepted the fact that they are not going to the NFL, may never see the field on a FCS program or understand they may have to wait 3-4 years to enjoy a 1-2 year college career. I have seen several kids of late with a few FCS offers opting for other levels of play where they will get financial assistance, a great education, and hopefully play another 4 years of the game they love in some cases immediately in their first year.
BrowardHandicapper

Re: State of Recruiting in 2019

Postby Rams1998 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:21 pm

If you recruit a 6’4 kid and he’s a bust, it’s the kid’s fault

If you recruit a 5’11 kid and he’s a bust, it’s your fault (fired).

That’s my explanation for the measurables thing.

As far as “offers” go, my newest pet peeve is kids tweeting out offers from D3 schools. Even worse are the D3 programs sending “official offers” to kids. So stupid. Offer means athletic scholarship, period.
Rams1998

Postby BrowardHandicapper » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:07 pm

Rams1998 wrote:If you recruit a 6’4 kid and he’s a bust, it’s the kid’s fault

As far as “offers” go, my newest pet peeve is kids tweeting out offers from D3 schools. Even worse are the D3 programs sending “official offers” to kids. So stupid. Offer means athletic scholarship, period.

I hear with that explanation of the measurables thing...That is surely a perspective/angle that many have probably never thought about - being in the Coaches/Recuriters position ...In many cases Assistant Coaches and Recruiters jobs may literally on the line...Great insight!

Regarding the tweeting, I have seen those type of tweets with the kids and D3 program suggesting "offers" ... As you know, the truth to that is a lot of work from the recruiters and schools shuffling and trying to qualify
for programs/grants fo student athletes - not a "athletic" scholarship. I guess the kid thinks a "offer" appears cool on his twitter and the the D3 programs sending "official offers" are trying to make it look like they have clout or something.

Thanks for the feedback!
BrowardHandicapper

Postby Rams1998 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:50 am

BrowardHandicapper » 08 Feb 2019 03:07

Rams1998 wrote:
If you recruit a 6’4 kid and he’s a bust, it’s the kid’s fault

I hear with that explanation of the measurables thing...That is surely a perspective/angle that many have probably never thought about - being in the Coaches/Recuriters position ...In many cases Assistant Coaches and Recruiters jobs may literally on the line...Great insight!

Regarding the tweeting, I have seen those type of tweets with the kids and D3 program suggesting "offers" ... As you know, the truth to that is a lot of work from the recruiters and schools shuffling and trying to qualify
for programs/grants fo student athletes - not a "athletic" scholarship. I guess the kid thinks a "offer" appears cool on his twitter and the the D3 programs sending "official offers" are trying to make it look like they have clout or something.

Thanks for the feedback!

It appears to me to be a vicious cycle. Kid wants to post/tweet his "offers". D3 coach says fine, go ahead. It evolves to D3 schools sending ridiculous "offer letters". Other D3 schools are forced to start "offering" kids, in order to keep up with the Joneses. So, now there are more and more tweets. Someone has to get the genie back into the bottle. It used to be, a good D3 coach's first question would be "Does he have any offers?". If the answer was no, that kid wasn't getting a scholarship and was a good D3 candidate. Now, when a coach asks if they have any offers, kids start telling you about NESCAC schools, and Anna Maria. In reality, the answer is "no, I do not have any offers". This, and the explosion of PWO (preferred walk ons), create this absurd reality we live in now.
Rams1998

Postby AVEFAN » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:28 am

D3 schools do NOT make athletic $$ offers! NEVER. I have had 2 children play at the D3 level and never were they offered athletic $. The only money they were offered was merit $ and they would get that regardless if they played a sport or not. My 2 kids were starters and very good players but I can assure you they and no one else is ever offer athletic money at that level. I have heard the same thing "My son/daughter was offered so much $$ from St. Joe's or Endicott" when in reality its merit money.
AVEFAN

Postby Rams1998 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:18 am

by AVEFAN » 12 Feb 2019 12:28

D3 schools do NOT make athletic $$ offers! NEVER. I have had 2 children play at the D3 level and never were they offered athletic $. The only money they were offered was merit $ and they would get that regardless if they played a sport or not. My 2 kids were starters and very good players but I can assure you they and no one else is ever offer athletic money at that level. I have heard the same thing "My son/daughter was offered so much $$ from St. Joe's or Endicott" when in reality its merit money.

You are correct. No one said they did. Division 3 does not award athletic scholarships. I don't know who you're responding to.
Rams1998

Postby AVEFAN » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am

Referring to the "offers" that's being talked about. Unless you are meaning something else when you say "offer"
AVEFAN

Postby Rams1998 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:49 am

by AVEFAN » 12 Feb 2019 13:38

Referring to the "offers" that's being talked about. Unless you are meaning something else when you say "offer"

No, that's exactly my point, and what we've been talking about. "Offer" should mean an athletic scholarship. These kids tweeting out D3 "offers", and the D3 coaches sending "official offers" are pet peeves of mine.
Rams1998

Return to Football: Maine High School & Amateur